Can he?

• Yes

Votes: 24 70.6%
  • No

Votes: 10 29.4%

• Total voters

sip

For Mitchell to be an impactful defender I think he has to play pg or at least guard most opposing pg's. That is the position that he has a physical advantage and can use his size and strength. Hopefully we can find a bigger guard in the future in that 6'6" range that has some playmaking skills to compliment Mitchell so he can move to point guard. Brogdon would have been a great fit if we had gone after him instead of Conley.

babe

CAN he? Yes.
WILL he? I'd look at past history for predictions on future performance.

He played really good D for the first 10 or so games of last season.
Pretty hard to know the calculus here. I think his best tools are the social skills of holding a team more or less on task. Spending a lot of time reading teammates emotions probably comes at a price on paying attention to the other team on the floor.....

Let's get him to set a goal to move 5% more to defense, and get some other team spirit monitors to pay attention to that.

nonsense here? I am not on the floor where this happens. I just observe from the distance how this team was changed just by his presence. Some kind of spark that has moved other players to step up a notch.

Ben Wightman

You know what's really fun for me to watch? Players that are as obsessed and locked in about gaining possession with a defensive stop as they are getting a bucket with good offensive execution. Names that come to mind when I think of playoff performers that were just as tenacious about defense as offense:

KG
LBJ (specifically in the playoffs)
GP
John Stockton
MJ
Kobe
CP3
Tim Duncan
Manu Ginobli
Alonzo Mourning
Ingles at times (thinking his matchup with PG)
Draymond

Who else would you add to the list?
It's one of the elements of playoff basketball I most look forward to watching.

FAILED STATE

You know what's really fun for me to watch? Players that are as obsessed and locked in about gaining possession with a defensive stop as they are getting a bucket with good offensive execution. Names that come to mind when I think of playoff performers that were just as tenacious about defense as offense:

KG
LBJ (specifically in the playoffs)
GP
John Stockton
MJ
Kobe
CP3
Tim Duncan
Manu Ginobli
Alonzo Mourning
Ingles at times (thinking his matchup with PG)
Draymond

Who else would you add to the list?
It's one of the elements of playoff basketball I most look forward to watching.
Ben Wallace
Scottie Pippen
Dennis Rodman
Kawhi (Spurs version)
Pat Bev
Jimmy Butler
Marcus Smart

Etc.

LogGrad98

Contributor
2020-21 Award Winner
Found this interesting so I just shoved it into the first Donovan-related thread I could find. lol

1617306731861.png

Better overall maybe? Worse in some areas we have noticed and called out. Interesting comparison of rookie DM to MVP DM. Heh.

jazzfan1971

I think we need to hope he becomes an average defender. If he just could manage that with his offense he would be top15 in the league. With a slight positive in defense top 10 is in reach.