What's new

Can you get an alert for when someone is quoting you or your name is mentioned?

Sure, you're repeating the misconception that the first kid has everything handed to them. They'll get all that paid for and so fourth but daddy-PKM isn't going to be doing the kids homework or showing up at the office 80 hrs a week for the kid.

I've had countless opportunities fall in my lap and I've pretty much pissed them all away. You could hand me advantages all day long and I'd find a way to not succeed, pretty much because I don't like doing things that are hard (there are a lot of things that come easy to me, and I tend to focus my efforts on those things, even though they're usually not profitable) and I honestly can't imagine how much someone would have to pay me to make working 80hrs a week seem worthwhile. I'd rather live in a gutter than make 100K+ working 80hrs a week.

No, absolutely not, the 1st kid will still have to put in the effort to succeed - let's not kid ourselves, that's a fact.

All I'm saying is, while the 1st kid is putting the effort into his homework, the 2nd kid is putting the same effort in fighting the conditions that he has to face. Working at McDonald's after school, giving half his wages to his mom who's sick at home, while the dad is an alcoholic and is abusive. The other half of his wages probably go to his half brother who's addicted to cocaine/buying weed, etc, etc.

The same effort, vastly different results.

Kinda like the 2 kids running a marathon, the 1st kid is running in Nike shoes that PKM had bought for him, and the 2nd is running bare-feet. Who's most likely to win?

All I'm asking for is an equal starting position.

No, absolutely not, the 1st kid will still have to put in the effort to succeed - let's not kid ourselves, that's a fact.

All I'm saying is, while the 1st kid is putting the effort into his homework, the 2nd kid is putting the same effort in fighting the conditions that he has to face. Working at McDonald's after school, giving half his wages to his mom who's sick at home, while the dad is an alcoholic and is abusive. The other half of his wages probably go to his half brother who's addicted to cocaine/buying weed, etc, etc.

The same effort, vastly different results.

Kinda like the 2 kids running a marathon, the 1st kid is running in Nike shoes that PKM had bought for him, and the 2nd is running bare-feet. Who's most likely to win?

All I'm asking for is an equal starting position.

Excellent point!

Only problem is that it is absolutely not possible to give everyone the same starting position. We've all got to play the hand we're dealt.

I Grew up pretty poor. When I was born my dad had a job watering lawns at the St. George Golf course and my mom was a waitress, with a second job sewing. A little later they moved to SLC and my dad started working for Mt. Fuel (now Questar) and initially my mom was a waitress before getting a job as a letter carrier. By the time I was grown I felt like we were pretty solidly lower middle class. It was a pretty big difference even for me, but both my parents grew up in poverty on small farms.

Excellent point!

Only problem is that it is absolutely not possible to give everyone the same starting position. We've all got to play the hand we're dealt.

I Grew up pretty poor. When I was born my dad had a job watering lawns at the St. George Golf course and my mom was a waitress, with a second job sewing. A little later they moved to SLC and my dad started working for Mt. Fuel (now Questar) and initially my mom was a waitress before getting a job as a letter carrier. By the time I was grown I felt like we were pretty solidly lower middle class. It was a pretty big difference even for me, but both my parents grew up in poverty on small farms.

I think teaching kids to think "critically" about situations, thinking outside the box, or just thinking things through in general is very important. I think we do it quite well here in the developed countries, BUT a lot more could be done in the developing countries where "culture", "the way things are done", power and corruption are still very much at large.

I know of teachers in some countries who think they deserve respect from students just because they simply "know more" or are "older" therefore they deserve respect by default. Students are told what to write, what to study for tests, without questioning or even thinking about what they're learning. These teachers tell me "teaching kids to think only makes more work for teachers, we are not paid enough for that".

I do believe there's a lot more we can do ...

===============================

Coming right back to your original story about your teacher. May be if instead of "sharing the wealth" we can somehow "share the knowledge" or simply "share our time" with these underprivileged people/countries... I think that would really make a difference...

Excellent point!

One point I find way overlooked is community support structure. The poorest areas have no support, and everyone who chances to succeed is quick to get the hell out, which keeps the cycle going. In Utah, we can't really relate to it since we have plenty educational support, good teachers, stable families, role models, available jobs, successful neighbors to emulate... none of that to be found inside Detroit.

Even lowly Idaho with their inbreeding and all still provides a support structure 1000x that of the poorest areas.

How are you liking those notifications kkk?

Well it doesn't "notify" me when my posts are being replied to... but it does show me when a thread that I posted in has been updated... So I guess that is useful... it's not 100% what I wanted, but it's probably 70%.

Well it doesn't "notify" me when my posts are being replied to... but it does show me when a thread that I posted in has been updated... So I guess that is useful... it's not 100% what I wanted, but it's probably 70%.

The regular site does that too, you know. Check mark = thread that you posted in. Bold = thread that has been updated. Check + Bold = thread that you've posted in that's been updated.

The regular site does that too, you know. Check mark = thread that you posted in. Bold = thread that has been updated. Check + Bold = thread that you've posted in that's been updated.

I've been trying to tell him...

Downloaded the new tapa and it sexts me whenever I'm quoted.

Dunno if yall are talking bout that cuz I don't really read people's posts on here anymore.

posted from my htc one using tapaBONGO

Downloaded the new tapa and it sexts me whenever I'm quoted.

Dunno if yall are talking bout that cuz I don't really read people's posts on here anymore.

posted from my htc one using tapaBONGO

Ahh... no wonder. We haven't seen you around much. Must have been exhausting.

Is it just me or has this function just started operating on TapaTalk today?!?!?!

Now I get a notification everytime I'm being quoted.

I thought it would be useful, now it's annoying as Hell.. LOL.. (i..e, my phone alerts me EVERYTIME I'm quoted)

Is it just me or has this function just started operating on TapaTalk today?!?!?!

I thought it would be useful, now it's annoying as Hell.. LOL.. (i..e, my phone alerts me EVERYTIME I'm quoted)
Not a new feature.

Have

you

figured