What's new

Chad Ford: the Jazz consider Dante Exum their franchise player

Personally, I think the Jazz need to take a long, hard look at Trey this year in that case. If he shows flashes but Quin and the coaching staff just don't think he has it, the Jazz should trade him for a decent young-ish veteran or draft pick. If it's a vet, he'll likely contribute more than Trey is or will -- especially if Exum becomes the starting point. If they can get a draft pick, perhaps they can package it with their own and move up this year and get a higher end prospect. I know they're young as a team, but so is Trey, so it wouldn't make us too much younger. I don't know...just some thoughts.

Sounds impressive. Judging from that single game, Gordon sounds a franchise player. Now I'm jelly.

Has the potential to be, as does Exum.

If it pans out for either of them great, although potential is not rare in the NBA, lots of players have it, few reach it.

Also that is the next step I would like to see out of Exum. One game where he does more than shows flashes and is more than a role player. He puts together a dominant game and is a major factor in us winning. Gordon dominated that game defensively and was a huge plus on the offense. He also hit a three to seal the game in OT.

I was thinking the same thing, but it's really hard when you consider how much Dante plays(15-20 minutes a game). Pretty much the only way it's going to happen is if Trey picks up an injury or gets into foul trouble early. Also... even though Gordon is as young as Dante, the biggest difference is that he seems to already have at least an average NBA-body. Dante doesn't... I think this is what's stopping him from being truly dominant in any single game right now.

I was thinking the same thing, but it's really hard when you consider how much Dante plays(15-20 minutes a game). Pretty much the only way it's going to happen is if Trey picks up an injury or gets into foul trouble early. Also... even though Gordon is as young as Dante, the biggest difference is that he seems to already have at least an average NBA-body. Dante doesn't... I think this is what's stopping him from being truly dominant in any single game right now.

I would like to see more minutes for Exum as well. I think there is little to no chance he isnt going to be a better NBA player than Trey. I like Exum more than Aaron Gordon, I just think it is silly to discount Gordons potential in favor if Exums, when he has done very little so far in his Basketball career. It is also silly to say Magic made a mistake that will take years to know.

Last edited:
Personally, I think the Jazz need to take a long, hard look at Trey this year in that case. If he shows flashes but Quin and the coaching staff just don't think he has it, the Jazz should trade him for a decent young-ish veteran or draft pick. If it's a vet, he'll likely contribute more than Trey is or will -- especially if Exum becomes the starting point. If they can get a draft pick, perhaps they can package it with their own and move up this year and get a higher end prospect. I know they're young as a team, but so is Trey, so it wouldn't make us too much younger. I don't know...just some thoughts.
Not just Trey. I think they need to look at every position. Now that Utah is essentially 2-deep at every position, with draft picks coming up and the ability to spend moderately in free agency, Utah could combine assets to upgrade their starters or bring in a great 6th man. I don't see the Jazz ever trading Favors, Hayward or Exum, but everyone else should be available for the right deal.

Yes, but did you see Air Gordon hitting threes before he got hurt? I think the jazz would have done well with either player, so I say God bless the man that made the 4th pick possible!

Hayward is air Gordon. The other guy is called "other Gordon", "inferior Gordon", or "woo hoo for safe pick Gordon."

True a dominant defensive big man who has the potential to guard all positions who has has the potential to be a good shooter and ball handler are a dime a dozen in the NBA. I mean we have one if you combine all our bigs together...

No, but there are at least a couple SF prospects in this upcoming draft that rival Gordon as a prospect. Some guys on this board like Winslow, for example. Gordon gets compared to Gerald Wallace, Shawn Marion and AK. Those are good players, but not really alpha-dogs.

Keeping Trey is probably part of the Jazz's development plan for Exum. Exum is picking up the NBA game in stages without being asked to do too much right now. Per Chad Ford's comment, this is a healthy situation for Exum.

It is funny how fans love their guys and have to bash guys we didn't get. If Gordon was on the Jazz people would be praising him and bashing Exum. I think both guys can be great in a few years.
Are people bashing Gordon?

Kevin Pelton(4:21 PM)

If you were going to pick a most likely best player from this year's draft right now, I think it would have to be Exum, as David Thorpe said last week: https://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11872465/top-20-rookies

So exciting to be a jazz fan right now. Awesome coach, awesome potential star, a border line allstar small forward, and a decent big man.

Also, I think it says a lot for exum that the Jazz think that highly of him. I think the Jazz are pretty honest with themselves, so I pretty much believe them when they say they think they have a franchise player on their hands. Now we just need to win the lottery and draft that giant who is playing for duke.

Apparently Oladipo had a lot to do with it.

Still dumb, with a little poker, they could have landed their man plus assets by putting the pick on the market and getting assets from the Jazz for the pick swap. All they had to do was convince the Jazz that they would pick Exum but the pick could be had for the right price. But instead, they leaked the pick (as we learned from watching the Kings war room).