What's new

Chad Ford's Mock Draft taken with other teams' preferences

Harcher

I ran Chad Ford’s Mock Draft a jillion times. Here is the Jazz draft scenario at each position
1. Jabari
2. Wiggins
3. Embiid
4. Randle
5. Exum
6. Smart
7. Gordon
But taking into account Chad Ford’s opinion on the other team it sums to this:
1. Parker
2. Parker (jazz take Wiggins only if NOP or Det are#1 who prefer Parker too. Otherwise Wiggins goes #1)
3. Embiid (or Parker when Orlando is #2 (Exum) or in rare case of sacto (Embiid) is 1 or 2 ) (Wiggins is available at 3 only if 2 of the three Det or NOP and, Sacto are ahead of utah)
4. Randle. Jazz 4th choice (appears all other teams choose Exum here except Utah/Philly)
5. Randle is the 5th choice by many
6. Randle. (or Smart) A few prefer Smart over Randall.
7. Other teams are split on Smart/Gordon here

So according to the preferences of the other teams in combo with the Jazz, the Jazz will very likely draft Randle, then a small chance of Parker, or Embiid… and chance of Smart… and essentially no chance of Wiggins.

Appreciate you posting that. That said, I generally don't believe much Ford thinks.

As much as I like Jabari, I find myself thinking if there are any scenarios where Andrew Wiggins actually gets picked by the Jazz. Unless they get number one and fall in love with him during the draft process, it seems unlikely.

Appreciate you posting that. That said, I generally don't believe much Ford thinks.

But you're neglecting a lot here. We all want Jabari because he's Mormon, didn't you hear? Chad Ford is also Mormon. Beings our team is based in Utah, aren't we obliged to accept Chad Ford's opinion? That's how it works, no?

I did this ESPN draft machine exercise 20x a few weeks ago, when the Jazz were also 4th in the lottery odds.
Chad Ford thought Utah's draft board went: Parker, Wiggins, Embiid, Exum, Randle, Smart,Gordon.
The most common outcome was that the Jazz drafted 5th and took Randle.
Randle's stock might have gone up a bit due to UK's tournament run, placing him ahead of Exum on Utah's board

As much as I like Jabari, I find myself thinking if there are any scenarios where Andrew Wiggins actually gets picked by the Jazz. Unless they get number one and fall in love with him during the draft process, it seems unlikely.

...Or Boston gets #1, takes Parker, and the Jazz take Wiggins at #2.

But you're neglecting a lot here. We all want Jabari because he's Mormon, didn't you hear? Chad Ford is also Mormon. Beings our team is based in Utah, aren't we obliged to accept Chad Ford's opinion? That's how it works, no?

No. Wiggins #1. Parker #2. I love Jabari and think that he's the best pure scorer in this draft, but Wiggins is the #1 player overall. Pick him, develop him, and build your young and exciting team around him.

I did this ESPN draft machine exercise 20x a few weeks ago, when the Jazz were also 4th in the lottery odds.
Chad Ford thought Utah's draft board went: Parker, Wiggins, Embiid, Exum, Randle, Smart,Gordon.
The most common outcome was that the Jazz drafted 5th and took Randle.
Randle's stock might have gone up a bit due to UK's tournament run, placing him ahead of Exum on Utah's board
Right now, I have it as Wiggins, Parker, Embiid (if the back checks out - otherwise he's off my board completely), Randle, Gordon and then some alternating variation of Exum, Smart and Vonleh depending on the day. I really hope that the Jazz end up in the top 5 picks. I like those guys so much more than the next tier down.

Last edited:
Not happy if jazz take have smart rated ahead of gordon.

Downright pissed as a matter of fact

At this stage in the process I think chad ford draft tool is just a gimmick. I didn't do a legit sample but Utah Jazz got the #1 pick a lot it seemed, so the outcome could even skewed a bit based on my IP address POP location. (Utah for me.)

but it adds a bit of extra entertainment to the mock draft in that is plays out scenarios.

Right now, I have it as Wiggins, Parker, Embiid (if the back checks out - otherwise he's off my board completely), Randle, Gordon and then some alternating variation of Exum, Smart and Vonleh depending on the day. I really hope that the Jazz end up in the top 5 picks. I like those guys sonic homer than the next tier down.

I agree 100 percent with you at this point.

Its amazing how people love to give so much credit to some guy who is never more right than any of us just because he is affiliated with some big company news network. And whats even more amazing is that if you didn't have selective memory you would remember that no one ever predicts what happens accurately. Or that, if you really thought about it, you would come to the conclusion that isnt very likely at all that Chad Ford or anyone else has intimate knowledge of what people inside organizations are thinking. Do you think that they have telepathy or something? Or that they are texting each other how the feel about a player everyday like two teenage girls talking about what boy they like next?

I know we are all giddy about this draft and cant wait to know what our prize is. We all feel like we are staring at our wrapped Christmas presents under the tree and are dying to know which one is ours. So you cant help but want to post every little breaking news about whats happening. But the truth is this isnt news. I could draw names out of hat and be just about as right as Chad Ford. You might as well just post some posters mock draft from around here. Or even your own.

The Jazz wont pick Jabari just because he is Mormon. They will attempt to pick the best player/prospect/good fit/ no matter where they are picking. Chad Ford has no idea who the Jazz feel is there guy. I bet the Jazz have no idea at this point. We all know a relative similar mock draft order that will be taken. Wiggins, Parker, and Embiid have the highest possibility of going 1-3. Randle, Gordon, Exum, and Smart are most likely to go 4-7. Its not really that hard to guess some right or get it close. But you keep wasting your time buying what he is selling.

I ran Chad Ford’s Mock Draft a jillion times. Here is the Jazz draft scenario at each position
1. Jabari
2. Wiggins
3. Embiid
4. Randle
5. Exum
6. Smart
7. Gordon
But taking into account Chad Ford’s opinion on the other team it sums to this:
1. Parker
2. Parker (jazz take Wiggins only if NOP or Det are#1 who prefer Parker too. Otherwise Wiggins goes #1)
3. Embiid (or Parker when Orlando is #2 (Exum) or in rare case of sacto (Embiid) is 1 or 2 ) (Wiggins is available at 3 only if 2 of the three Det or NOP and, Sacto are ahead of utah)
4. Randle. Jazz 4th choice (appears all other teams choose Exum here except Utah/Philly)
5. Randle is the 5th choice by many
6. Randle. (or Smart) A few prefer Smart over Randall.
7. Other teams are split on Smart/Gordon here

So according to the preferences of the other teams in combo with the Jazz, the Jazz will very likely draft Randle, then a small chance of Parker, or Embiid… and chance of Smart… and essentially no chance of Wiggins.

I hope Ford is more sophisticated than others who just assume that because a. Parker is Mormon and b. Utah is predominantly Mormon the Jazz naturally prefer Parker.

Now, if we could only dispel (and put a stake in the heart) of the notion seen even here at times on this board that the Jazz (being in Utah, a largely white community of Mormons) have some unusually disproportionate preference for white players.

Last edited:
I think the Jazz would take Jabari because it fits how they operate. Take the guy that you know what he is over the guy with upside potential. I would take Wiggins but I don't think the jazz FO would.

Example Hayward over George

If anything the fact that Utah did not draft Jimmer, when it had a chance to do so

Jimmer was gone when the jazz drafted.

I wonder who the jazz would have picked at 12 out of burks and jimmer if jimmer was still available though.

I think the Jazz would take Jabari because it fits how they operate. Take the guy that you know what he is over the guy with upside potential. I would take Wiggins but I don't think the jazz FO would.

Example Hayward over George

Did the 'upside potential' pan out for Xavier Henry, Al-Farouq Aminu, Cole Aldrich, and Like Babbitt? All of those players had higher ceilings than Gordon coming out of college-- and look at them now.

That's why as a GM you can't always go for 'upside'.

This. Totally.

Ford made some "inside" comments regarding a couple UK players that I can 100% confirm were nothing more than a guess.
That's fine.. unless you claim it's more. So.. no cred imo.

With that said it's pretty obvious that you go for Wiggins here, just because it's still unknown as to whether Jabari will be able to competently defend a position in the pros-- which is kind of important given that we are ranked 30th in the league in that end

I hope Ford is more sophisticated than others who just assume that because a. Parker is Mormon and b. Utah is predominantly Mormon the Jazz naturally prefer Parker.

If anything the fact that Utah did not draft Jimmer, when it had a chance to do so, should dispel this notion.

Now, if we could only dispel (and put a stake in the heart) of the notion seen even here at times on this board that the Jazz (being in Utah, a largely white community of Mormons) have some unusually disproportionate preference for white players.

If the Jazz got the #1 pick.. and we will.. and we select Jabari, the world will absolutely assume it's a mormon mktg thing, whether true or not.

Jimmer was gone when the jazz drafted.

I wonder who the jazz would have picked at 12 out of burks and jimmer if jimmer was still available though.

By jove, you're correct. Whoops. Post edited accordingly.

I would be the farm that it would not have been Jimmer (but then I'm a city boy).