What's new

Character Assissination by Quin and DL

The bench was awful without Bradley or Exum playing hardly any minutes at all. There was plenty of horrible play though from Green, Joe, Niang, Davis and Mudiay. Throw in bad Conley and some selfish play from Mitchell and you have plenty of fingers to point.

Quin controls the minutes. Even though guys were playing selfish basketball they still got minutes. He did not give our young players much of a chance.

That's my point that was rewarding bad and selfish basketball with further minutes and then with a straight face says how horrible the rest of the bench is.

That's my point that was rewarding bad and selfish basketball with further minutes and then with a straight face says how horrible the rest of the bench is.
It's Andy Larsen, he's an Exum hater, and apparently he hates Bradley as well. Bradley put in some good minutes in against the Bucks then immediately fell out of the rotation when Davis returned the next game. Davis came straight back into the rotation from injury, but hasn't played well, and apart from a brief benching against Charlotte has been getting 10-12 minutes every night.

I can't see why from the stats. In his 12 games since returning to the line-up, Davis has played 137 minutes, shot 7-18 (39%) from the field (even though his average shot distance is only 4 feet), 2-5 from the stripe, and been held scoreless 7 times. He has almost as many TOs (6) as FGs. His main positive is his rebounding at a rate of 12.3/36 mins.

How does that compare with Bradley's performance when Davis was out? He played 125 minutes over 9 games, shot 23-37 (62%) from the field and 7-11 from the line, and was held scoreless only once (although that was in only 7 minutes of PT). He only commited 6 TOs in these games too. His rebounding rate was 13.3/36 mins, even better than Davis.

Now I concede +/- is a dodgy stat, but Davis' D is supposed to be superior, so you'd expect over a number of games that Davis would have a better +/-, right? Nope. In Bradley's 9 games, 5 times he was a -1 or better, and only twice was he a double-digit negative. In Davis' 12 most recent games, he has been a -1 or better only 4 times, and a double-digit negative 6 times. So half the time, Bradley was a -1 at worst, but half the time Davis is a -10 or worse - quite a feat in only 12 minutes/game!

But Quin won't play Bradley, and Larsen plays along by relegating him to 11th man status. He can say 'Exum looked bad during warm-ups' but can't say 'Bradley has looked better than Davis during games'.

Quin is the most overrated coach in the NBA. We have a talented roster, but have played well below expectations. And instead of blaming Quin, most people (including most jazzfanz posters) blame the players.

It literally took a Mike Conley injury for Quin to put Ingles in the starting lineup, when most of us knew all along that Ingles should have started from the get go.

Quin's offensive game plan for the bench is to have 3 guys stand behind the three point and watch one person dribble or run a pick and role and then hope that person kicks the ball out to them for a contested 3. Terrible smh.

“Most of us knew all along...” - well done. I’m sure teams are calling you off the hook. Damn brilliant. You have all the answers don’t you?

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz

Also at some point if Bradley looks like hammered $H@t how does he explain the organization letting Willie Reed go? Also if Exum was so bad the letting George King walk is curious since none of the tyros appear ready for prime time.

It's Andy Larsen, he's an Exum hater, and apparently he hates Bradley as well. Bradley put in some good minutes in against the Bucks then immediately fell out of the rotation when Davis returned the next game. Davis came straight back into the rotation from injury, but hasn't played well, and apart from a brief benching against Charlotte has been getting 10-12 minutes every night.

I can't see why from the stats. In his 12 games since returning to the line-up, Davis has played 137 minutes, shot 7-18 (39%) from the field (even though his average shot distance is only 4 feet), 2-5 from the stripe, and been held scoreless 7 times. He has almost as many TOs (6) as FGs. His main positive is his rebounding at a rate of 12.3/36 mins.

How does that compare with Bradley's performance when Davis was out? He played 125 minutes over 9 games, shot 23-37 (62%) from the field and 7-11 from the line, and was held scoreless only once (although that was in only 7 minutes of PT). He only commited 6 TOs in these games too. His rebounding rate was 13.3/36 mins, even better than Davis.

Now I concede +/- is a dodgy stat, but Davis' D is supposed to be superior, so you'd expect over a number of games that Davis would have a better +/-, right? Nope. In Bradley's 9 games, 5 times he was a -1 or better, and only twice was he a double-digit negative. In Davis' 12 most recent games, he has been a -1 or better only 4 times, and a double-digit negative 6 times. So half the time, Bradley was a -1 at worst, but half the time Davis is a -10 or worse - quite a feat in only 12 minutes/game!

But Quin won't play Bradley, and Larsen plays along by relegating him to 11th man status. He can say 'Exum looked bad during warm-ups' but can't say 'Bradley has looked better than Davis during games'.

Yeah the ginger has always been happy to throw X under the bus

The problem with Davis is he's a mere 6'8" and a little light in the *** to be locking horns with behemoths. I don't think we've seen our best ball from him, not at all. Quickness and agility are his strengths, and I don't think he's lost much if anything in that regard. I think we need to run more pick n rolls for him cause he's not a post up guy.
Davis is terrible in the PNR. Sets bad screens, doesn't roll hard or to the right spot and can't catch the ball when it comes to him. He's not a post up guy but he's even less of a PNR player.

“Most of us knew all along...” - well done. I’m sure teams are calling you off the hook. Damn brilliant. You have all the answers don’t you?

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz
I and a lot of others said that Ingles should be the starter before the season began. He's a facilitator not a play maker, you need other good players around you to be a facilitator. It's troubling to me it took this long to figure it out and more troubling that it took an injury to make the change.

Davis plays much much better D than Bradley. That's why he plays over Bradley.

The problem with Davis is he's a mere 6'8" and a little light in the *** to be locking horns with behemoths. I don't think we've seen our best ball from him, not at all. Quickness and agility are his strengths, and I don't think he's lost much if anything in that regard. I think we need to run more pick n rolls for him cause he's not a post up guy.
Yeap, that's it. Davis size is a problem, even more if he's playing with another thin guy (JGreen). I concur we've not watched his true basketball yet.

Yeap, that's it. Davis size is a problem, even more if he's playing with another thin guy (JGreen). I concur we've not watched his true basketball yet.
And Davis has zero skills on the offensive end. But Bradley's lack of quickness on defense is what's keeping him on the bench. He's actually pretty good around the basketball offensively and also a good rebounder on both ends.

Davis is a pretty good team defense player, and a good rebounder. He's coming off a broken leg and you can still see the hesitation some times. His rebounding numbers from last season were impressive. He is more likely to return to mean, and so is Tony Bradley. The Jazz bet on Ed Davis when he signed a 2 year, 10M deal.

From an article on the day of the signing of Ed Davis:

He’s also an elite rebounder — even better than Favors — corralling 22 percent of available rebounds per NBA.com (Basketball Reference’s estimate had him even higher at just over 25 percent). Davis was top-three league-wide by either measure.

From the day of the signing:

Zach Lowe

✔@ZachLowe_NBA

Ed Davis is a good basketball player and does good things to help your team win the basketball games.