What's new

Chilean Miner Rescue

Seeing those miners reunited with their families is so fantastic.

Especially the miner that has a wife and kids and a mistress that didn't know about each other until they all showed up at a vigil carrying the same man's picture.

Last edited:
Those poor miners. But let's face it, it's a dangerous job and this is one possible outcome. Chilean flags everywhere? What is there to be proud of? Couldn't Chile have been more proactive and prevented this horrific situation in the first place? And what kind of person is watching hours and hours of the live coverage of the rescue? Why? People get hurt, trapped and killed every day all around the world. Why is so fascinating?

Those poor miners. But let's face it, it's a dangerous job and this is one possible outcome. Chilean flags everywhere? What is there to be proud of? Couldn't Chile have been more proactive and prevented this horrific situation in the first place? And what kind of person is watching hours and hours of the live coverage of the rescue? Why? People get hurt, trapped and killed every day all around the world. Why is so fascinating?

Because this actually has a GOOD outcome

Especially the miner that has a wife and kids and a mistress that didn't know about each other until they all showed up at vigil carrying the same man's picture.

I read a story yesterday or the day before about the jealousies and rivalries among the survivors' families - not so much the "immediate" families, but all the relatives that seem to be crawling out of the woodwork trying to cash in on a bit of reflected fame - AND trying to help themselves to some of the freebies and goodies that have been donated.

it is pretty amazing that they were able to survive as well as they seem to have survived, kudos to them.

This story reminds me a bit of the one from 25 or so years ago where Baby Jessica was rescued after she fell down the well in Texas or wherever.

how is this a good outcome? Once again the rape and pillage of Gaea goes unpunished! There must be expiation!

-- Sierra Club member

Been following this story closely. I served my mission in Chile in Concepcion where the quake hit earlier this year. The Chileans are an amazing people! Chile is also where Alive happened.

The mistress is like 250 lbs too. Oh, to be a Chilean miner. Seriously though, I hope these guys are able to milk this further. If the media is buying your story, you're always selling.

I think Hipster Cat had the best response:

Ld5pA.jpg