What's new

Christian Missionary Killed by Isolated Tribe

I doubt these people differentiate between mainland Indians and Westerners. They're all evil outsiders with fancy tools.
I would love to learn what their mythology surrounding "outsiders" is. I wonder if they have actual debates regarding contact and if any of them have ever tried to "escape" (leave and make contact with the rest of the world) and if there are strict rules prohibiting such a thing.

I would love to learn what their mythology surrounding "outsiders" is. I wonder if they have actual debates regarding contact and if any of them have ever tried to "escape" (leave and make contact with the rest of the world) and if there are strict rules prohibiting such a thing.

It is fascinating. Maybe one day scientists will develop stealth drones and we can spy on them. :D

Well, these South Sea Islanders were not truly uncontacted, but one way they reacted to encounters with airplanes and Westerners in WWII was the creation of cargo cults. Perhaps a good example of a mythology that developed out of contact:

http://www.sjsu.edu/faculty/watkins/cargocult.htm

Well, these South Sea Islanders were not truly uncontacted, but one way they reacted to encounters with airplanes and Westerners in WWII was the creation of cargo cults. Perhaps a good example of a mythology that developed out of contact:

http://www.sjsu.edu/faculty/watkins/cargocult.htm

lmao. Almost reads like an Onion article. They pretty much believe in 'The Secret'. Just want something badly enough, and the universe will give it to you. Except in this case, it's John Fromm who will give it to you.

https://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/2018/11/23/the-sentinelese-are-not-uncontacted-primitives/

This post links to another source with pictures of full-frontal nudity, but more details on Portman's activities.

They don't see it as pedophilia, to them it's transferring the life force from one generation to the next. You couldn't stop that without the complete upheaval of their culture. It's really not your's or anyone else's call to make.
Yeah, I completely disagree. Forcing sex acts onto children is forcing sex acts onto children.

I don't really agree with either of you. We can call out elements of other cultures as wrong, even if if would mean upheaval to stop it, based on the principles of basic human rights; this is wrong. However, this particular ritual is very different from what our culture thinks of pedophilia; there is no secrecy and no aspect of unpureness taints the boys. It's not substantively similar to a trusted authority figure betraying that trust with a child.