What's new

Coach Nick breaks down the Utah Jazz offense

Good stuff. Very informative, even for someone who has seen this offense for years now. I may just watch it again before the game tomorrow to see how many of those sets I can identify.

What is amazing to me about this video is how many wide open shots the Jazz missed vrs the heat. If we make even half those wide open ones we blow them out.

Here's why guys like Jefferson and Hayward are struggling to process this information - the plays he showed have so many different variations and counters.
1. Shuffle cut off sideline out-of-bounds play - if the indounder's man (always the PF) underplays the screen on the pass - it's an automatic pass back to the PF for the jumper from the wing (Malone and Boozer always got open looks from this).

2. UCLA cut - not only can Deron also come off that weakside double-screen (and if one of the weakside bigs shows out it's an automatic read for his man to slip to the rim), but if Deron's man looks to overplay or shoot the gap (instead of trailing) Deron sets a back-screen on the 3-man for an easy layup (alot of Harprings layups came off that).

3. In the high-screen roll w/Millsap - Jefferson should've flashed to the left-elbow as Millsap slips to the basket (that's always been Memo's shot from the weakside)

4. High-low when they front the post - Kirilenko and Korver were the only Jazz recent players who could occassionally throw over-the-top from the wing (w/the old illegal defense Stock/Hornecek would regular lob that pass to the corner of the backboard and get Malone a layup) but now when they front you must swing the ball to the middle of the floor to get the proper angle.

5. In the 2nd-high-screen roll they showed, you see Utah's Jefferson and Bell are just a split-second late on the weakside. Bell's in the Korver/Hornacek role of rolling up on the weakside for the 3 and Jefferson's in the Okur-role of flashing to the left-elbow and both guys are late which allows Wade to play them both.

Watching Kirilenko and Millsap execute in the offense with Deron shows that it just takes time until you can react without thinking. The team plays much more hesitant to start games because I think alot of them are too busy thinking and trying to read how the defense is playing certain sets - and in the 2nd-half they just play.

I'm a bit disappointed he didn't include the cross screen with a wing and a big in the paint. Got Jefferson the and 1 against Charlotte at the end of the game.

ha, seeing this definately proves that its not just size, athleticism, and talent holding me back from the nba.... i would get so lost trying to learn all that.

ha, seeing this definately proves that its not just size, athleticism, and talent holding me back from the nba.... i would get so lost trying to learn all that.

This. We underestimate the brains of (some) NBA players.