What's new

Coaches salaries and potential impact on small market teams

Bodhi

Contributor
This hit me on the way to work today and I have no numbers or hard science, so its just a working theory at this point.

Here'goes: As a small market franchise its a well known fact we will always have a hard time getting name or franchise changing freeagents. The city, culture and lack of other endoresment income will always hinder us. We (franchise) have to work harder and be creative in order to compete.

The question is, can we get more for our money by paying or over-paying for a name coach? Rivers and Pop are in the $6-7mil range. Thats the tops as far as I can tell. Other respected guys are in the 4-5 range. IMO, the Jazz should be hyper agressive in going after a guy in the way the Clippers did or identify one of the current available guys (the VG's, Hollins etc).

45-60 year old coaches typically aren't as dazzled by the big cities (source: none) and you'd think the money and a stable organization would be enough, along with lots of moldable talent and assets/cap flexability. To me it has to be one of the better jobs in the NBA.

Thoughts? Hopes? Dreams? Wishes?

I think Utah will be an attractive place for up and coming coaches as well. They will see that Utah has stacked the roster and that the players are all fairly young. A young coach might feel that they can come in and have a chance with a talented, young and very moldable roster.

The Jazz MUST get this decision right. They coach they choose for the next couple years is going to be as big for this organization as getting a top 3 pick this year is. My dream is Thibs but it won't happen.

See, I don't really want an up and comer. I like SVG a lot and would honestly prefer him over anyone else not named Tom Thibodeau. I want a guy that has been deep in the playoffs or finals and has intimate knowledge of what it takes to build and coach those teams.

I agree with stoked, this decision must, absolutely must be right. Get it wrong and in two years the jazz will be stuck with overpaid players, far less asserts and looking at another rebuilding process. The jazzfans aren't exactly turning out in droves to watch the young players this season, I can't see it getting better during another rebuild.

I used to be on the brad jones bandwagon, but not now. Jazz can't afford to wait and see if he works out. They need to win fans back with the next coach hire, and that starts with winning the press conference that announces the new hire, and Brad Jones doesn't do that. Nobody gets excited for that.

I also think they need a character, a personality, someone with charisma. Frank Layden was a character, and Jerry Sloan was quotable, plus people tuned in to games to see if he was going to go postal on the refs or one of his players. SVG wins the press conference, gets the jazz credibility nationally and makes great sound bites for the radio or nightly news....and he wins.

I used to be on the brad jones bandwagon, but not now. Jazz can't afford to wait and see if he works out. They need to win fans back with the next coach hire, and that starts with winning the press conference that announces the new hire, and Brad Jones doesn't do that. Nobody gets excited for that.

I also think they need a character, a personality, someone with charisma. Frank Layden was a character, and Jerry Sloan was quotable, plus people tuned in to games to see if he was going to go postal on the refs or one of his players. SVG wins the press conference, gets the jazz credibility nationally and makes great sound bites for the radio or nightly news....and he wins.

This

This hit me on the way to work today and I have no numbers or hard science, so its just a working theory at this point.

Here'goes: As a small market franchise its a well known fact we will always have a hard time getting name or franchise changing freeagents. The city, culture and lack of other endoresment income will always hinder us. We (franchise) have to work harder and be creative in order to compete.

The question is, can we get more for our money by paying or over-paying for a name coach? Rivers and Pop are in the $6-7mil range. Thats the tops as far as I can tell. Other respected guys are in the 4-5 range. IMO, the Jazz should be hyper agressive in going after a guy in the way the Clippers did or identify one of the current available guys (the VG's, Hollins etc).

45-60 year old coaches typically aren't as dazzled by the big cities (source: none) and you'd think the money and a stable organization would be enough, along with lots of moldable talent and assets/cap flexability. To me it has to be one of the better jobs in the NBA.

Thoughts? Hopes? Dreams? Wishes?

we could have gotten horny for coach.

he wouldnt be expensive.
ooh well. my give a **** level is at an all time low

I think Utah would be an attractive place for a coach. It's a nice place to live for a person in that age bracket, the organization has a history of being patient and loyal with their coaches, and Utah doesn't have the media circus and level of scrutiny of a NY or LA. I would think the Jazz could create an ideal situation for the right coach, so long as he's okay with colder winters. The Univ. of Utah was able to recruit Rick Majerus. I think that's a good example that bodes well for recruiting a good coach. The young players and cap flexibility also create a good situation.

Way I see it is the Jazz can go in one of three directions: 1) someone with previous experience as a NBA head coach; 2) a coach who is currently an assistant in the NBA (an "up and comer" if you will); 3) a college coach.

All of those entail risk. Perhaps the riskiest is a college coach as the track record of even the big-name ones hasn't usually been good. I seriously doubt the Jazz go that route.

While I do agree either of the Van Gundys might be excellent choices due to their past success (or Thibodeau), I don't see them as realistic options. Thibodeau isn't going anywhere. I don't care what the perceived rift is; he's worthy of COTY and Chicago is going to keep him. As for the Van Gundys, they undoubtedly have had other opportunities in past seasons. It's unclear if either have the desire to return. I've always gotten the feeling both are done with coaching, although perhaps Jeff returns to the Knicks. Realistically, Jazz would be interviewing coaching retreads; those who have been fired for having underperfomed at their previous job and are looking for another chance.

Now, I'm not completely against that. There was a certain former head coach of the Jazz who could have been classified as a "failure" at the time he was hired. He had been fired by another NBA team after having a losing record for 2 1/2 years. He then spent several seasons as an assistant before taking over the Jazz when Layden resigned. I would bet every poster that is clamoring for the likes of Thibodeau, one of the Van Gundy's, etc. would have gone absolutely postal upon hearing the news that the Jazz had given the job to a "failed" head coach with a career record of 94-121. As far as "second-chancer's" go, I think Hollins would be worth consideration; he was actually fairly successful, but just didn't go deep enough in the playoffs with the Grizzlies and wasn't retained.

So that leaves us with current NBA assistants. I've been calling it for longer than anyone else on this board...I still believe Brad Jones will be the next HC of the Jazz. Too many things add up in his favor: 1) he coached the Flash; 2) he led the SA D-League team to a championship; 3) he is highly regarded by many in the Spurs AND Jazz organizations; 4) Lindsey brought him over (and forced him upon Corbin); 5) he is Jerry Sloan's nephew; 6) he already knows the Jazz personnel and has been working with the group for a couple of years.

Jones is LESS of a risk than hiring a guy like Hornacek who had ZERO head coaching experience and had been a full-tme assistant for just what, 2 years? He's less of a risk, certainly, than hiring a college coach. And he's about the same risk as hiring the retreads who have bounced around the league. Jones is the guy. Just because Corbin wasn't very successful after being promoted by KOC doesn't mean Jones won't be promoted by Lindsey.

Do you guys realize that if Utah gets Jabari, or Wiggins, or Exum and they turn out to be All-NBA, it doesn't matter who the coach is?

Do you guys realize that if Utah gets Jabari, or Wiggins, or Exum and they turn out to be All-NBA, it doesn't matter who the coach is?

Well if Corbin is still here, then Wiggins or them would come of the bench behind a guy like Jefferson and be turned into a spot up shooter. Gotta develop the All-NBA.

Well if Corbin is still here, then Wiggins or them would come of the bench behind a guy like Jefferson and be turned into a spot up shooter. Gotta develop the All-NBA.

Lol. Nice. Didn't see that one coming, though I should have.

My point is that, if Wiggins or Jabari are good enough, it doesn't matter. Does anyone think Spoelstra is an exceptional coach?

It always matters who the coach is. Maybe not as much but it'll matter.

My point is that, if Wiggins or Jabari are good enough, it doesn't matter. Does anyone think Spoelstra is an exceptional coach?

I see where you are going with this but havign a terrible coach hinders a team. Also Miami has Wade and Bosh.

I think it absolutely matters within this scenario. Wiggins/Parker in the 5th+ year of their career? No. Coming in as a rookie, yeah.

You're talking possibly the best player ever, Bosch and Wade with Spo. Sorta apples and backhoes, dawg.

Do you realize it absolutely maters who the coach is? And yes Spoelstra is a great coach. All you see is games which is the tip of the iceberg. Practice, player moral and team discipline/chemistry all are on the coach. That makes or breaks a team.

Sent from the JazzFanz app