What's new

Colleges now closing at a rate of one per week

Al-O-Meter

This is such a good thing societally. It is bad for the students caught at one of these colleges, and the alumni may now have worthless degrees, but this correction has been delayed for too long. Finally the COVID money is running out and these toxic institutions are collapsing.

While the above piece tiptoes around the reason for the closures, the source of the problem is impossible to miss when you honestly look at the data. Since 2012, there are 1.2 million fewer kids going to college, and 83% of that loss is male. Colleges went out of their way to alienate male students in the name of being progressive, and men stopped applying. Now they don't have enough students to stay viable.

Not buying that the decrease is because of "progressiveness". College is way too expensive and is overrated. Kids are lazy and think they're going to be able to skip education and still be "rich". Too expensive and kids are lazy, that's why numbers are down. I tried to get my son to consider the trades then start his own business, but he has his own ideas. All good, but I think the trades are a solid choice for a lot of people.

Last edited:
Not buying that the decrease is because of "progressiveness". College is way too expensive and is overrated.
If the issue was expense, then you'd see an even fall-off among men and women due to both paying the same price. That isn't what we see. 83% of the loss is male and only 17% is female. The women don't seem to think it is a bad deal, but the men do. The difference is in how the environment treats men and women.

If the issue was expense, then you'd see an even fall-off among men and women due to both paying the same price. That isn't what we see. 83% of the loss is male and only 17% is female. The women don't seem to think it is a bad deal, but the men do. The difference is in how the environment treats men and women.

I don't believe those numbers, no way. But as The Greatful Dead said, "that's right, the women are smarter".

Last edited:
I don't believe those numbers, no way. But as The Greatful Dead said, "that's right, the women are smarter".
The numbers are shocking and I don't blame you for being skeptical, but that is the actual data.

"In 2022, the total number of 18- to 24-year-olds enrolled in college was down by approximately 1.2 million from its peak in 2011. Most of the decline is due to fewer young men pursuing college. About 1 million fewer young men are in college but only 0.2 million fewer young women."

The numbers are shocking and I don't blame you for being skeptical, but that is the actual data.

"In 2022, the total number of 18- to 24-year-olds enrolled in college was down by approximately 1.2 million from its peak in 2011. Most of the decline is due to fewer young men pursuing college. About 1 million fewer young men are in college but only 0.2 million fewer young women."

So what are the men doing? Playing video games?

Back