What's new

Collin Sexton SZN

I agree you need some organizers or guys that you can throw the ball to that understand time score gameflow etc... but its not really coming from point guards all that much these days. Boston, Milwaukee, Miami it comes from wings... Denver, GS (steph is the point guard but Dray is the organizer setup man) it comes from bigs.

There are some pgs out there that do what Mike does but many successful teams are getting it elsewhere.
This guy gets it.

Not just this year or last year those teams get their playmaking in a variety of ways. Milwaukee goes through Middleton and Giannis... Miami goes through Jimmy... Boston won't be putting the ball in Brogdon's hands... it will go through Tatum, Brown, and Smart.

Steph does his fair share of playmaking but the organizer decision making duties are shared with Green for sure.

You can get the playmaking on the wing or from non-pg positions. If you get a point god type then by all means move one of those dudes (sexton/JC). The other takes a back seat.
Yeah, they go through those players, but someone has to get those players the ball. They cant be constantly bringing the ball up the court and initiating everything while also playmaking for others.

There's something between Point God and what Sexton is, and that's what most teams need.

Yeah, they go through those players, but someone has to get those players the ball. They cant be constantly bringing the ball up the court and initiating everything while also playmaking for others.

There's something between Point God and what Sexton is, and that's what most teams need.
They bring it up plenty... Collin can bring the ball up and give it to that player if we get there... so can JC.

I just think you hate him (basketball wise) and his play style. Doesn't mean it can't work.

And I think you are glancing over a lot of nuance.
On the first statement I repeated what you said.

On the second statement I am not glancing over nuance... I'm cutting the bs. Sexton is better at getting into sets than ya boy THT who has multiple possessions where he dribbles aimlessly before trying a right handed layup on the left side of the basket that sometimes goes in... or shooting a Dirk fade away. Had he just put up the numbers Sexton did as a starter you'd be spamming the board with daily threads singing his praises.

On the first statement I repeated what you said.

On the second statement I am not glancing over nuance... I'm cutting the bs. Sexton is better at getting into sets than ya boy THT who has multiple possessions where he dribbles aimlessly before trying a right handed layup on the left side of the basket that sometimes goes in... or shooting a Dirk fade away. Had he just put up the numbers Sexton did as a starter you'd be spamming the board with daily threads singing his praises.
I like THT, I dont think he is actually good (at least not currently).

And yeah if THT put up Sexton's numbers he'd probably be really good because he would be putting up great scoring stats combined with strong D and passing while being a 6'4 guard with a 7'1 wingspan.

Sadly he isn't though and he is pretty far away in his development curve. He probably won't pan out but I enjoy watching him.

And yeah if THT put up Sexton's numbers he'd probably be really good because he would be putting up great scoring stats combined with strong D and passing while being a 6'4 guard with a 7'1 wingspan.

Sadly he isn't though and he is pretty far away in his development curve. He probably won't pan out but I enjoy watching him.
His defense would be better but his passing/playmaking/organizing is right on Sexton's level. The big difference between the two is Sexton scores really efficiently and THT scores really inefficiently....

Its just weird that THT is viewed as more cerebral than Sexton when he gums up the offense but also takes terrible shots.

His defense would be better but his passing/playmaking/organizing is right on Sexton's level. The big difference between the two is Sexton scores really efficiently and THT scores really inefficiently....

Its just weird that THT is viewed as more cerebral than Sexton when he gums up the offense but also takes terrible shots.
He gums up the offense because he's a terrible shooter. He is a much quicker decision maker and a far higher skilled passer (in terms of delivering higher level of difficulty passes with accuracy). I wouldnt go as far as saying he's cerebral, but he recognizes things much quicker than Sexton. Unfortunately he just has some fatal flaws.

i hated watching Sexton with the Cavs. Surprised to have enjoyed mostly watching him this year even if it's just for the contrast of watching someone who so obviously cares unlike last season

I like both Sexton and THT and think both are just fine for the team as currently constituted and our trajectory.

THT will honestly be really good imo when he is 25-27ish.

Love Sexton’s heart and think he’s much better than some on this board give him credit for.

He gums up the offense because he's a terrible shooter. He is a much quicker decision maker and a far higher skilled passer (in terms of delivering higher level of difficulty passes with accuracy). I wouldnt go as far as saying he's cerebral, but he recognizes things much quicker than Sexton. Unfortunately he just has some fatal flaws.
He over dribbles just as much as Collin.

Sure, you can put some of it on that, but the Jazz are clearly much worse with Sexton as a starter than Conley (closing these close games has been ROUGH). The Jazz desperately are missing a table setter. Sexton has shown some good passing ability at times, but he's not a table setter. He's an eater who will sometimes pass the gravy. It's very much the same feeling I had regarding Mitchell, the issue is that Sexton is even smaller. If he is ever to be the starter (which I know isnt necessary, but I also know Sexton very much desires that) it will require a perfect backcourt match next to him to make it work for winning basketball.
I think the same would’ve happened regardless of who was starting. We were due for a lull, there’s also an adjustment period. Also we were in most of these games. You can’t just put this all on sexton starting and saying this team is worse without Conley is like saying we’d be worse without Beasley or JC. Obviously when you lose a key player you are worse for it. Sexton is a good player, get over it. At the end of the day it’s a deep team with no stars there’s going to be peeks and valleys, add on top of that the fact we lost a key starter we were due some losses.

I think the same would’ve happened regardless of who was starting. We were due for a lull, there’s also an adjustment period. Also we were in most of these games. You can’t just put this all on sexton starting and saying this team is worse without Conley is like saying we’d be worse without Beasley or JC. Obviously when you lose a key player you are worse for it. Sexton is a good player, get over it. At the end of the day it’s a deep team with no stars there’s going to be peeks and valleys, add on top of that the fact we lost a key starter we were due some losses.
Obviously it's not all on Sexton. JC most of all was due for a regression and he's had it. But I 100% think that Sexton starting in place of Conley has influenced JC to go back to his less ball-sharing ways.

I have no idea how JC also not being a great passer relates to Sexton, but ok. You wont get any arguments from me about how JC isnt a PG.
You are clinging into ancient player designations, that have no place in todays NBA. Even NBA removed those designations and only kept the "Guard, Forward and Center" terms... and even those are used very fluidly (lots of players with "Guard-Forward" or "Center-Forward" designations).

What matters and why those numbers I posted matter is that Sexton plays better within Hardys system than JC. Jordan is a better scorer albeit much less efficient this year at least (maybe also a testament to him taking lower percentage chances). Neither one has Conley's arsenal of passes but Sexton is clearly learning from Conley so I wouldn't be surprised if he kept adding new nuances into his game.

Obviously it's not all on Sexton. JC most of all was due for a regression and he's had it. But I 100% think that Sexton starting in place of Conley has influenced JC to go back to his less ball-sharing ways.
This could be true though, and its a good point. JC was playing better with Conley in and has regressed since.

It could just be that Conley kept him in line and gave him immediate feedback. Hardy has said he doesn't do that when players are on court. He wants them to have a clear headspace focusing on the game and the opponent. and therefore doesn't shout feedback to players during live action. He only gives the feedback on the bench or during timeouts or intermissions. I like his approach, but it doesn't necessarily work with all personalities. Some of us need more direct feedback.