What's new

Comments from around the league on Shaq's disrespect of Spida in the post-game interview

JazzAvenues

2018 Award Winner
2019 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
2022 Award Winner
2023 Award Winner
2024 Award Winner
Last night on TNT immediately after the Jazz win as Donovan was being interviewed by the Inside the NBA team:

“I said tonight that you don’t have what it takes to get to the next level.”

That is what TNT studio analyst Shaquille O’Neal said to Donovan Mitchell in the immediate aftermath of the Utah Jazz’s 129-118 victory over the New Orleans Pelicans on Thursday night — a game that not only saw the Jazz rack up their seventh consecutive victory, but which saw Mitchell play arguably his best game of the season, hitting 11 of 19 shots overall and 6 of 7 from deep in totaling 36 points, seven rebounds, and five assists.

And so it was that a national television showcase for the Jazz instead became a source of both controversy and motivation for the team’s All-Star guard.

During halftime of the game, TNT’s “Inside the NBA” crew of O’Neal, Charles Barkley, Kenny Smith and Ernie Johnson got into a discussion about whether Mitchell was anything more than a pretty good bucket-getter on a pretty good team, whether he possessed true “superstar” ability to impact the game in ways other than scoring.

Mitchell was told of O’Neal’s critique by the Hall of Fame center himself, then asked for a response.

His clearly-annoyed-but-refusing-to-take-the-bait one-word reply: “Aight.”

O’Neal opened the argument by suggesting that Mitchell “needs to be a second or third option” in order for a team to compete. When Smith countered, “I’m seeing that he scores at will and I’m seeing he’s overpowering people,” Barkley interjected, “That’s not what a superstar is. A superstar’s a guy who can win the game multiple ways.

“A lot of guys are great offensive players, but a superstar’s a guy who can win a game; if he’s having a bad shooting night, he can get a lot of rebounds or he can play defense,” Barkley added. “… When guys try to explain this type stuff, it seems like it’s old guys hating. It’s not old guys hating. It’s like, ‘OK, he’s a great scorer.’ I will give you that, but he makes zero impact on the rest of the game.”

O’Neal doubled down on that premise: “He’s a great scorer, I agree with that. But if he’s not scoring, what else can he do?”

I know Shaq is trying to “motivate” them, but time and place man. How do you say this after he just balled out? If he had 36 points off of 30+ shots or something, okay. Not good. But he was extremely efficient overall. I get tough love, but it wasn’t the moment for that

Suns- Theory: Mitchell is cool with Gobert now and doesn’t care for Shaq’s disrespect of him

Pelicans- Donovan Mitchell wins and they immediately are rude as **** to him and ruin the interview????

Suns- Shaq really thinks young players are worried about his opinion 24/7

Pelicans- That was so f**cking rude! What was Mitchell supposed to respond???

Pistons- Man **** shaq

Celtics- I rarely like a player not on my team but even more rare is the love I have for Donnie Mitch. His game is so beautiful to watch. No shortcuts, no foul baiting, always being a great leader and teammate.

Heat- Man **** Shaq, mad respect for Donavan tonight

Warriors- wtf was that interview lmao

76ers- Shaq: I talked **** but I didn't really mean it. Love your game hahah.

Donovan: how bout u go an **** off this interview then u peice of **** u think I need a stupid ****witt like u telling me about playing well who the **** are u take your worthless advice and get the **** out of here.

Mavs- Mitchell with 36 on 57/75/100 splits.

But that doesn't compare to how he owned Shaq in the postgame interview

76ers- seriously wtf did he want him to say. shaq getting worse every day

Donovan eventually gave him what he wanted (“I been hearing that since my rookie season, I’m just gonna do my thing regardless”), but by then Shaq was already pouting.

Mavs- Bro Inside has been going on for 10 minutes since that interview and Shaq is still being petty as ****. It's childish and offputting as hell, no lie

Mavs- I have a feeling this third option thing is gonna be a narrative

Supersonics- Donovan “Shaq was wrong about Donovan Mitchell” Mitchell

Warriors- Shaq in shambles

Heat- Shaq probably just took Mitchell in a 9 cat league and needs assists and rebounds rn

Mavs- Not bad for a 2nd, maybe 3rd option who can't do anything but score, right Inside the NBA panel?

Here's my biggest problem. On national TV Shaq told Donovan Mitchell that he didn't think he could take his team to the next level...purposefully to get a reaction and to hear him say that he's motivated. Like he thought Don wasn't motivated before? That's just stupid.

I think shaq was embarrassed about his halftime comments and, because he was proud, decided to double down instead of run it back. Didn't work out for him!

I actually think this criticism is going to help the jazz this season and in the long run. People have doubted Rudy forever and have also been critical of Donovan. Just more motivation.

Sure was awkward watching him try to explain it. Donovan skilled using silence to make his point.

think about it, when is Mitchell at his best? It when someone pisses him off and everyone knows it...including Shaq. I have no doubt Shaq said it to push him to his next level. I can’t prove it but I’d bet it lights a fire in Mitchell to be better, just wait and see

Donovan and Rudy deserve props for their hard work. To talk them down on a National TV broadcast is just silly. Then again, the NBA/TNT is showing the Pelicans 3x as many times this year. Why not call out Zion for getting blown out by the Jazz twice in 5 days? Lol

One of the stupidest, petty, unprofessional interviews ever seen on

@NBAonTNT

I just dont understand.

This is probably why Shaq is in the studio and not anywhere near a coaching job lol

hope they kick Shaq off the show. He's becoming increasingly annoying and adding less value to the commentary on the show.

Funny thing is Donovan doesn't need any validation from Shaq. Totally different positions anyways. If MJ said it then maybe consider it but what does Shaq's comments even matter.

I thought his response was perfect. And I’m betting money he’s gonna back it up with action

Lol he’s trying to light a fire under him to make him play harder obviously he wants to see Donovan win at the highest level so of course if I were Donovan hearing that on national tv coming from a Hall of Famer I’d do everything in my will power to prove him wrong.

And it’s all sad to see a bunch of aging stars show demonstrate their fading relevance by picking on someone who is playing.

Never saw Donovan with that kind of look. Shaq: 0 Donovan: 1

Honestly, what a mature response by a Mitchell. Not only here but in the awkward-*** interview too.

I don't get why Shaq always seems so bitter. Dude is always hating on the current generation.

He has really disappointed though. Donovan only has the 3rd highest point total in NBA playoffs history, oh and he averaged 36 in that series, more than Chuck, Shaq or Kenny were ever able to average during a series. But he’s not a true superstar.

Never seen something like that in a postgame interview, particularly after a guy puts up 36, 7, and 5 on 19 shots and his team has won 7 straight.

I literally spit out my Mountain Dew when he dropped: aight.

Ironic that Shaq gets paid lots of money to criticise Rudy & Donovan and thinks that any tall person can do Rudy's job. Couldn't anybody sit behind a desk and camera and say the same things have the same stupid opinions as Shaq? Charles tells Shaq his shots would be blocked. Nice

Well handled by Donovan Mitchell. No need to respond to hate (manufactured or otherwise) when you go out & drop a stat line like he had. The play speaks for itself. Like Shaq forgot that, just strange.

The only redeeming part of that post game **** show was Chuck saying to Shaq that Rudy would dominate his ***

There was a lot of stuff said about the TNT announcers and the Inside crew not having watched previous Utah games. After looking at some highlights and thinking about their comments I'm not sure they watched this game either...

Donovan's understanding of who he is and what he can do in his role is just unreal. Hard to find a star with as much poise and polish. He's such an incredible person and the league and especially the Jazz are so unbelievably lucky to have him.

Did Barkley ever criticize Iverson for not getting a certain amount of assists or rebounds? No. They worshipped the ground he walked on. Even when he said practice wasn’t a big deal.

Agreed. Shaq and older players just like to bring down younger stars. Instead of celebrating young talent. Unlike Hakeem Olajuwon, he praises young talent all the time

Don't know why the national media doesn't celebrate guys like Donovan. He is all that's good in basketball on and off the court.

I think what was the issue is Shaq basically straight up disrespected

@spidadmitchell

to his face in the walk off interview just watch it it was bad said he’s not a #1 option on a good team

Was Shaq the #1 option with Kobe? Asking for a friend

Donovan took it really well. He shows such maturity at his age. There would possibly have been an FCC violation had it been me in that position.

The big market bias with these people is so obvious. I've been saying this for the longest time. Donovan plays for Utah so he doesn't matter. TNT and ESPN has always been anti Utah, even back in the Stockton/Malone heyday.

I read a good tweet earlier. If Zion had just put up 36-7-5 and beat the Jazz, TNT crew would have been fighting to give the dude hummers. Of the 24yr olds and yngr he’s the closest thing to a #1 option, next to Luka, to have ability to carry his team.

the last thing shaq expected was for mitchell to not give on single solitary damn about his opinion. good for donovan.

Shaq is attempting to keep it real and motivate but it comes off as hating. He should express what he is trying to say in a different way.

The intent is the issue. If shaq was out to help these guys through tough love and criticism, he’d reach out to them privately and say this. Instead, doing this on national tv, its a look at me...i care...and im embarrassing you because of it so its cool.

Weird to hear Shaq lecture someone about getting to the next level of their game. Dude was notoriously resting on his exceptional talent and natural ability for years in the league - why do ppl think Kobe was so pissed at him all the time?

I still can't get over how OUTTA POCKET Shaq was... like... what did this accomplish?

Mavs- A lot of the current players dont like these old heads. Cant say i blame them

Heat- "I hate these 90s players who hate on this new generation of basketball players" I feel like a lot of that comes down to money. A player like Donavan Mitchell makes more money than the top guys from the 90s did. I think it bothers them that top 30 players make 150+ million dollars in one contract while that type of money was unheard of back then. Even for top 5 players.

Celtics- I love Shaq as the larger than life character he is, but that was a really poor interview last night. I get he is trying to get these players to tell the audience why to believe in them, but the way he's doing it now is way too negative. He's gotta come at it from the standpoint of "A lot of people have doubted your team and your ability to be the leader on a contender and I'm guilty of that myself. How does the 'noise' motivate you and your teammates to reach that next level?" not "I don't think you have what it takes, thoughts?" It just doesn't make the product of the NBA as strong to have former players trying to check young all-stars.

And for the record, Shaq may not be wrong here, but it just wasn't the best way to promote and grow the game imo. Don't be "a casual" Shaq...It would be amazing if every player started calling him that during their interviews.

Lakers- How old is everyone in this sub? Shaq clearly loves Donovan he was telling him that so he could use it as motivation. He even mentioned it. Any great player would feed off that and that’s what Shaq wants to see from Donovan. It’s called tough love. Shaqs father held a top position in military so you could see Shaq was raised with tough love too. Y’all soft

Knicks- He thinks players care about his opinion lol. He said to Donovan "I don't think you have it in you, what do you have to say about that". Like mitchell should care about what shaq thinks.

Mitchell had a great response, "aight". Like who cares about your opinion Shaq, if you think I suck, so do another a million americans. I'll get over it.

He talks smack about Chuck all the time not having any rings. Shaq is a pompous ballbuster. As much as I like him, that's just what he is.

Mavs-Shaq was a bit of an ******* as a player, he's a bit of an ******* as commentator. These guys were hyper-competitive, hyper-critical, and abrasive while playing. While Shaq 'is' a fun dude, when it comes to hoops, he really cares only about top-line success. A lot of players won't be champions, there's only 15 champions a year and a lot of times, there are repeats.

Spurs- Shaq is just an *******. I don’t buy this trying to motivate people stuff because there are so many other times, including outside of nba stuff, where he’s just being an *** for no reason. He’s insecure, can’t handle criticism, and can’t let other people shine. He kills the vibe all the time and I don’t watch inside anymore basically solely because of him.

I think the issue with Shaq is he still thinks he's a cool veteran but a lot of the young players who he's criticizing don't respect him like that. Many of these guys were not older then 4-5 years old when Shaq was 3peating with the Lakers. Therefore he essentially becomes an 'old man yelling at cloud' type of character for them and that is why we're getting these awkward interviews.

Shaq needs to soon realize that he doesn't command the same respect that he did say with the previous generation.

During that interview, I think the opposite. I think Shaq wanted to see what Donavan was going to say to such an absurd question. Shaq approved of his answer, and maybe it’s what he needed to confirm he is the ‘real deal’. Maybe I saw it differently.

Shaq is a good example of what everyone does in life... they think they’re being funny or adding to something by trashing others.... it’s really not that funny and people want genuine support/ care over laughing at the guy making fun of others. We could learn a lot from Shaqs behavior

Bulls- Yeah it’s getting old man, that rant on Gobert was dumb as hell too, I like Shaq but damn does he need to get over it. Maybe it’s because he let himself go so much that I’m he’s really feeling low, in that case I can sympathize because depression is no joke, but I hope he can get some help

Cavs- Next week on r/nba : "Is Shaq worse than Hitler?"

It's because Shaq is unbelievably insecure. You never see a secure person doing this ****. And it's almost a shame, I'd feel bad for what's clearly been a lifetime of internal struggle if he wasn't such a prick about it.

Such a weird stance by the guys. Mitchell is basically a 2 guard and his job is to score.

In a sense, I kinda agree with Shaq, I don't think Don is a top 5 type guy who'll win MVPs and carry teams to title contention. But it's rude as hell to call a guy out like that. Great response from Don ignoring it.

I'll be happy if Don continues being our version of Thomas/Billups as a great/our best offensive player on a more balanced competitive team.

I don't think Don will ever be a superstar only due to the system he plays in. The Jazz play "team" basketball. A lot of moving parts, Don isn't asked to crash the boards. He can average more assists per game, but he isn't asked to play one on one like a lot of the top "superstars" do. But he does have one trait like a superstar. In fact I would put Don above a lot of the so called "stars", is that Alpha male, take over the end of the game and get buckets. Kobe and Jordan had that. Not many "stars" have that killer instinct that Don has.

Shaq is still pissed Greg Foster blocked his shot.
I’m pretty sure Shaq broke Greg Fosters foot in practice by stepping on it, when Foster later played for LA.

I loved Shaq the player when I was younger, so it's a bit sad watching him criticize the new generation of players left and right. You have to accept getting older and avoid getting bitter in the process. I suspect it's because the new players earn so much more money than his generation (although Shaq himself still earnt tons of money), but he should work on himself and move on.

this "all star" vs. "superstar" **** is so tired.

I decided I am shaqing everyone this weekend to see how it goes...

Walk into a nice house to visit someone "this house is nice but my buddy has one on the hill so much better... your thoughts? Does that make you want to work harder".
After wife cooks dinner "This is good but I prefer the restaurant down the road... you gonna try harder?"
See an old friend at the park "hey good to see you... I just wish you were Dave... i miss him more than you... no offense you are one of my favorites"

I don't think Don will ever be a superstar only due to the system he plays in. The Jazz play "team" basketball. A lot of moving parts, Don isn't asked to crash the boards. He can average more assists per game, but he isn't asked to play one on one like a lot of the top "superstars" do. But he does have one trait like a superstar. In fact I would put Don above a lot of the so called "stars", is that Alpha male, take over the end of the game and get buckets. Kobe and Jordan had that. Not many "stars" have that killer instinct that Don has.
Don is top 10 in usage rate. He has the tools to be a star, he needs more effort on D. His offense has come along well.

I mean...

are they expecting the 6'1'' pg/sg to go get 10 rebs a night with Gobert and Favors camping in the lane all game?

or are they expecting him to get 10 assists when the system is literally built around the "hockey assist"?

... he's averaging 5 assists per game, second most on the team by a fairly slim margin.

24/5/4 is damn good.

Just to put that into perspective... Kobe had 10 seasons pretty comparable to that and hovered around 25/5/5 for his career... a guy that is considered one the most iconic "superstars" ever.

DM should have said, "I'm not a fan of your broadcasting and I don't think you can take your show to the next level".
Glad he didn't, but he certainly had the right to do so.