Comments from Hawks forums on Collins trade to the Jazz

JazzAvenues

2018 Award Winner
2019 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
2022 Award Winner
2023 Award Winner
2024 Award Winner
A single 2nd round pick and the corpse of a 36 year old it's incredible how low his stock fell ever since signing for the GDP of New Zealand 3 years ago.

For a split second, I thought we got Rudy Gobert…

I wasn’t expecting much but this is still very underwhelming

His value dropped with his finger injury, Capella taking some of his role and space on the floor, and everyone knows Ressler wants under the tax. No leverage 3 years in. Only 1 way out.

Hopefully Gay is a good locker room guy

I expected at bare minimum a playable role player and he wasn't even worth THAT

Wasn’t expecting much and I’m still disappointed

Exactly, like obviously Hawks just dumped and "lost" the trade, but frankly any contract like John Collins' is on borrowed time. Anybody making more than $20mn but not putting up consistent numbers every single night is an awful contract under the new CBA and any team that has one should be moving heaven and earth to get out from under it

Trading for Gay during Pride Month, big W

2/3s of my profile pic gone, its so sad, but we will always have 2021

We are worse at basketball now by a lot. At least we saved Tony some money.

Gueye in the second round is also pronounced the same way as Rudy. Now, Had we just been able to draft Dick, I would’ve listened to the radio broadcast just so my 12 year old self could laugh my *** off.

He shot was returning over the last 30 games or so, and his defense is good now. Still one of the most lethal finishers in the league and is a great teammate

Collins is a much more talented player than his reputation would suggest. He’ll be missed, by me at least.

someone tell me how to feel. I know logically this is the right move given the looming salary cap changes but I won't lie i'm pretty devastated. JC is the guy who kept me motivated to watch those god ****ing awful hawks teams his rookie and soph year.

Well at least he will get to play his game so he will remind people that he’s a really good young player and worth his contract. I get that last year was not his best but this trade is a fleecing for the jazz and I still don’t understand how we couldn’t get anything more than what amounts to a second round pick because Gay is close to being done. I may be alone on this but honestly JC is my favorite player on the Hawks and I don’t think he was given a fair opportunity to show his true game with a real coach and I also know he wasn’t appreciated like he should have been. I really wish capela could shoot and JC would’ve done better earlier but anyway I’m gonna miss JC baptizing Embiid

Unbelievably awful

Didn't expect much but damn

Hell naw. We didn't even get 2 SRPs????

I READ RUDY GOBERT FIRST

First seeing it, it is a little wild, but that contract quickly be came now one of the most toxic in the league. John’s greatest assets and ability is his rim running and above the rim finishing, and when Clint finally started playing for us and clogging the paint with him, his ability to be a threat as a rim runner lessened and he had to rely more on his 3 point shot(which completely went to **** due to a finger injury) so I do understand. It was either him or Capela, because the two just can’t operate at a chanpiomship level because of the reasons stated above, if John’s shot comes back then obviously that’s a huge gain, but with the new CBA rules about to go into effect and obviously not being able to run it back with the same front court, a move had to be made involving one, or both of Collins or Capela.

Gonna get mixed reviews, but the new CBA gave us no choice.

The only way forward was to get him off our cap sheet. Sucks to have ranked his value and sold so damn low, but it’s still the right move. Just years too late.

rudy doesnt play for the jazz anymore?

Edit: my dumbass was thinking rudy gobert lmao

The second worst trade of Hawks basketball over the last 7 years.

A single second round pick and Rudy Gay? That’s all we could get? God bless America this is horrible.

I know we needed the cap space but damn

A second and Rudy Gay is just an awful return especially from a team that has multiple firsts coming from the Rudy Gobert trade. We couldn't even a heavily protected first for him. I am also worried about the team's future because trading away the talent we have for scraps like the Kevin Heurter doesn't make us better but it doesn't make us worse enough that we get good draft picks.

okay, okay and this is the best we could do?

Can someone explain to me, how in the absolute **** is this a good thing?

Robbed by Danny ainge.

John the Baptist in the land of Mormons??? 157 year old Rudy Gay is still in The Association????

Gonna miss my favorite Hawk and the only guy you could count on to give 110% every night. Just wasn’t a good fit for this team. I hope he ends up in a better situation and balls out.

Holy **** imma cry goodbye jc :(

So we traded Collins for nothing basically.

2 years ago we could’ve gotten Lauri for him. Now they’re teammates

This is so stupid and so bad.

Nooooo not my boy JC. It’s sad how low his value has fallen

stop me dead in my tracks LMAO wtf

This is a very dark day, in American history.

We trade Kev and Collins for bubble gum and a half eaten apple.

Constantly trying to offload someone tends to ruin their trade value.

He’s going to be amazing in Utah.

IMO It Was A Good Trade For All. We Dumped His Terrible Contract And Didn’t Have To Attach Any Picks, We Got A Decent Bench Player Plus A 2nd, Y’all Got An Exciting “Big” That Can Lead Your Young Team, And JC Finally Gets A Fresh Start To Hopefully Get Back To His Old Self

Is Rudy Gay a decent bench player? Maybe 10 years ago he was.

Front office messed john up……hes solid, can be boarder line allstar. Awesome guy.

He’s probably going to be better but I don’t see how he gets anywhere close to the stats from his peak. Utah has a healthy amount of forwards. He will bring defense and high intensity every single night. He will also do whatever it takes for the team. The one immediate thing they need from him is for his three point shot to get back to league average or above.

If I had a dollar for every Jazz fan who said “they fleeced us” I could pay Collins contract off & still have a lot of dollars left.

He can be a good player for the Jazz. If the paint isn’t clogged and you have guards who can make smart passes then he’ll probably score ~18 ppg. Great for the locker room. Just not sure how far that really propels the Jazz with his contract and the team already having Lauri. Maybe a first round team over the next few years unless y’all draft a stud.

I'd be stoked if I were a Utah fan :)

It’s pretty great to get off a bad $25M deal for a $6M expiring and a pick.

Has any team ever offered the Hawks a 1st round pick in a trade package for Collins? I've been researching but it's been tough to find articles from 2021 or early 2022, when he had some value.

He’s not that bad— but he will really help Utah. This is a steal

A bum finger. You got a great player and an even greater person, Jazz fans

It was more a fit issue than anything else. His contract just magnified how terrible of a fit he was in the role he played the last 3 seasons. He's a good starting role player. At some point a fringe all star caliber player, but adding Capela to the roster basically took away his best quality as the roll man and forced him into a stretch 4 which he was solid at up until this last season.

People are going to tell you his shot is permanently broken after his finger, but I just can't come to that conclusion after one season of bad shooting and 5 seasons of quality shooting. He is a high flying rim runner who has a soft touch from midrange and can step outside to shoot. Also, a high-energy defender and help defender.

When shooting is the only thing you are asked to do on offense, and you kinda suck at it, then you just kinda suck on offense. That's where his fall from grace happened. Every season since the addition of Capela, JC has had his shot attempts decrease. His fir absolutely sucked as a stretch 4 because he's not a true stretch 4.

I assume he will play the 4, and Lauru the 3 if Walker starts at the 5. Not sure about the fit there, but I can tell you that you are getting somebody that works his *** off and plays hard every minute of the game. I'm also inclined to say that as much as he brushes off the noise from rumors, it had to be getting to his head knowing he's been on the block for 3 years. With a fresh start and no trade rumors I have to believe he'll be as focused as ever and expect a bounce back season for him.

Hopefully Gay is a good locker room guy

friends-joey-lol-tj7s5zqavb6p7k7e.gif