What's new

Conley Benched

Maybe there is nothing more to this, but there are tea leaves... just remember the quote from Brian Windhorst around the trade deadline last year...

Mike has zero interest in playing in Utah and prefers to go the eastern conference.

Hopefully there is some reasonable, rational explanation for today that doesn't involve the front office causing issues, Mike being selfish, or Quin being indecisive.

People change their minds. I don't know what happened and I'm not going to lambast a player if I don't have the facts. Plus, even if Mike did freak out about it enough to change the decision, I applaud him because it's the right move IMO.

Nothing is put up or shut up until the playoffs. I'll freak out if they lose in the first or second round (well at least if they get bounced easy in the 2nd). Until then I'm going to remain measured and not reactionary to slumps and turbulence.

So the decision is announced to the players... other heads get involved and Quin just changes his mind? DL came down from the front office or Mike wasn't happy. We will see what is right long term... tonight is a rough night to have this type of drama doe.

Just talked to a buddy who's going to the game later. They're eating at pf changs, he's wearing his Conley Jersey and apparently several people were giving him a ton of crap!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Almost losing isn't a thing. You win or you lose. If you are going to baby back bitch about almost losing then youll cry about anything (which you do, see example of Mitchell and New York).
We know who they are at this point. Good not great. Rinse. Repeat.

So the decision is announced to the players... other heads get involved and Quin just changes his mind? DL came down from the front office or Mike wasn't happy. We will see what is right long term... tonight is a rough night to have this type of drama doe.
I doubt anyone told Quin what to do. I'm sure they talked about it, but people are acting like someone put a gun to Quins head.

All we need is Homer Simpson in the episode he cuts everyone

you’re cut , oh , you’re cut too ...

I doubt anyone told Quin what to do. I'm sure they talked about it, but people are acting like someone put a gun to Quins head.
We know what Quin wanted though so whether it was persuasion, threats, or force he isn't doing what he wanted to. Maybe he was too brash... maybe he needed to call Mike and Joe in and pick their brains first... maybe he hadn't done all the research... just from what people say about him I think he studied it out pretty thoroughly and made his decision. "other heads" influenced him and I'm not sure that's super healthy.

We know who the team that has only been together for 50ish games is? Ok...

Let's see them in the playoffs before we make such a bold statement.
This season? Yes. If you think I’m the next 25 games with this schedule....they’re going to have some dramatic shift before the postseason, it’s wishful thinking. They’ll be fine, they’ll hit the playoffs, and lose in the 1st round if it’s the Rockets, Clippers, or Lakers they play. I wouldn’t take them against the Nuggets either. Dallas would be a fight. I mean....they’ve done nothing to say otherwise and everything to re-enforce it.

Conspiracy theory: Mike is not the happiest person in Utah and has been playing on cruise control, and today's "flip flop" was a deliberately planned effort to put him in the spotlight. Playing poorly is one thing, but playing poorly when people think you complained about being benched is another. His character is now on the line.

We know what Quin wanted though so whether it was persuasion, threats, or force he isn't doing what he wanted to. Maybe he was too brash... maybe he needed to call Mike and Joe in and pick their brains first... maybe he hadn't done all the research... just from what people say about him I think he studied it out pretty thoroughly and made his decision. "other heads" influenced him and I'm not sure that's super healthy.
Uhh, what's not healthy about someone who is humble enough to let his staff have legit input?

Conley thinking he should start is 100 percent the problem. The dude has sucked worse than Mudiay all year long yet still thinks he's in Memphis. Is there a way to invent a time machine and sell the farm to get Morant instead? He's the Memphis guard we should've targeted...

Here’s some other food for thought.

Joe’s advanced analytics have been God awful recently.

He’s been playing horrible lately. Routinely makes bad passes but hits Rudy in the pick-n-roll every once in awhile so he’s amazing.

Ingles gets put on a pedestal around here for some reason.

Uhh, what's not healthy about someone who is humble enough to let his staff have legit input?
lol... his staff... you don't think his staff had already discussed it with him? "other heads" as Tony put it is almost certainly someone from the front office - either on their own or because mike or his agent weren't happy - and they should afford Quin the autonomy to setup the rotations as he pleases.

Quin didn't reveal much in his comments just now... it does seem like Mike wasn't pleased... Quin kind of avoided they why was there confusion today question.

Ok. The Jazz are one of the best shooting teams in the NBA and have the best defensive player in the NBA. They are in some kind of funk right now and it sucks, but these things don't last forever.

Any more arbitrary details? Quin has one of the best heads of hair?

They arent though. He sat the first two post ASB games and the Jazz still got beat. The Jazz got hot and played well, partly due to schedule, but mostly due to playing at a high level. I tend to believe the Andy Larsen theory of complacency in the regular season more than the team sucks with Mike.

It's a long season and players get mentally tired of the schedule. It sucks and they should be better, but I'm not going to freak out about it because the Jazz are going to make the playoffs and from there they have the talent to beat anybody where depth isn't as important.

Complacency has nothing to do with why we’re ranked just 12th in defensive efficiency.

People change their minds. I don't know what happened and I'm not going to lambast a player if I don't have the facts. Plus, even if Mike did freak out about it enough to change the decision, I applaud him because it's the right move IMO.

Nothing is put up or shut up until the playoffs. I'll freak out if they lose in the first or second round (well at least if they get bounced easy in the 2nd). Until then I'm going to remain measured and not reactionary to slumps and turbulence.

Hey Tony,

You suck on Twitter and you suck here.