What's new

Conley Benched

The story on KSL in Jazz Newz about Conley has me concerned. Again he is throwing the old saw out there about how different and complicated the Jazz system is. It's March and he should have figured it out by now.

We need to start Joe/Donovan/Royce/Bojan/Rudy. Get Joe, Bojan and most importantly Rudy going offensively early in the game. Maybe Rudy will stop pouting. All seem to play better when they get involved offensively early in games. Bojan in particular. Much better when he scores early and often. He's a rythym player. Donovan is more of closer who heats up late.

Bench should be Conley/Clarkson/Mudiay/Niang/Oneale. Go small, spread the floor, let Conley/Clarkson/Mudiay push the pace and get downhill. Simple drive and kick stuff.

First subs should be Mike for Joe. Clarkson for Oneale. Then Oneale/Mudiay/Niang for Gobert/Mitchell/Bojan later.

Donovan needs to utilize his midrange jumper more often.

Rudy needs to stop f******* pouting.

Just various thoughts compiled into one post.
I would add Bradley depending on matchups, that 2nd unit is small.

We need to find a way to get Ingles going. The entire team plays so much better when he's in a good rhythm offensively. A lot of it's on him, he needs to be more aggressive, but I think benching him is just going to make matters worse.

I think the single biggest surprise of the season is how all the additions and internal growths made us no less dependent on Joe

I'm not sure about it.

How do we know this was not the sequence?

1) Before practice, Snyder tells team Conley will be coming off the bench
2) Practice
3) After practice, Snyder with others decides, based in part on the practice, to change the rotation
4) Snyder doesn't feel comfortable in an interview about the change

Based on the KSL article, I had 1 and 2 correct at the very least.

Bump with Mike coming back... he should come off the bench. The starters have it rolling. Morgan provides a nice boost in size and defense. He allows Royce to guard Murray... Ingles on Porter... DM gets Craig.

They won’t bench him even though it means DM or Conley will have to guard Murray or Porter. Mike on Craig is not a great matchup cuz he’s a bully and can get a lot of offensive rebounds.

I get that we can stagger the lineups but please give me some basketball reasons other than “he’s mike ****ing Conley” on why he should start. Manu came off the bench and he’s gonna be a hall of famer (I think).

Why do we have to give guys vanity starts?

Got to start Conley. He's still gives us the highest ceiling with him in the lineup and is one of our best shooters.
Why does he have to start. I get that we could stagger his minutes, but why have him get the vanity start, when Denver is biggest, only to sub him out quickly and then play him with the bench unit. He can still get 30ish minutes.

Starting him also means Morgan evaporates from the rotation and his minutes have been important. If Niang is left off the rotation then great, but we know he's teflon so likely gets Morgan's time.

The offense when DM's on the floor honestly can't get a whole lot better.... Please tell me how much better Mike makes it? Then also please tell me who in the starting lineup you'd like him to guard? Also, please understand that bringing him off the bench is not like putting him in purgatory and not playing him. If the plan is to play Morgan as the backup 5 or 4 I can probably tolerate Mike starting.

Got to start Conley. He's still gives us the highest ceiling with him in the lineup and is one of our best shooters.

Agree we absolutely have to have him to make any kind of run this postseason, but I'm still not opposed to having him come off the bench still getting 25-30 ish minutes

Also, the last part isn't true. His TS% is significantly lower than almost every rotation player we have. Just looking at wing guys he's lower than Joe, Royce, DM, and JC.

The offense when DM's on the floor honestly can't get a whole lot better.... Please tell me how much better Mike makes it? Then also please tell me who in the starting lineup you'd like him to guard? Also, please understand that bringing him off the bench is not like putting him in purgatory and not playing him. If the plan is to play Morgan as the backup 5 or 4 I can probably tolerate Mike starting.
I think it makes sense to bring him off the bench in all scenarios, but it’s especially obvious to do so against the Nuggs.

Your claim has already been adequately challenged by HH’s citing of MC’s TS%, but I’d also like to ask you who you send to the bench. Joe and Royce were both huge today.