What's new

Conley contract extension watch

Rubashov

2019 Award Winner
Right guys its gonna happen, when, how many years and how much? My guess is two years at 35 mil

I could be going off outdated CBA rules, but you couldn’t extend at that kind of reduction.

Ive heard talk of 20, whats he make this year? 34 or 35?

Not that it really matters we're well into the tax anyway, time for the billionaire owners to wire a bit of cash from their swiss bank accounts.

Ain't gonna happen. Money won't work.

Conley extension is impossible. Has to be within 20% of his current number up or down. The tax at that number would be incredible.

If he stays its after the season and other stuff will have to go starting with Favs. Its the best course of action for us anyway. See if he stays healthy and gives us what we need in the playoffs. Pay him at that point if you can stomach the tax and move other parts to make the budget work.

In the offseason if we can get him around 15-17M I think that is fair and maybe doable... need to run the numbers to see what the tax is. If we are a western conference finals team I think its worth it for both sides. He seems to love it here.

That’s because your bias is having you assume immediate, or nigh to, lethality.
Again, this is covered in the order of operations, which should include a lethality check of the first step before proceeding to step 2. Step 1b if you will.

In the offseason if we can get him around 15-17M I think that is fair and maybe doable... need to run the numbers to see what the tax is. If we are a western conference finals team I think its worth it for both sides. He seems to love it here.
If I’m not mistaken, the tax burden would be substantial. I’d be shocked if we kept him at that number (even if he wanted to) without somehow offloading another important rotation player.

If I’m not mistaken, the tax burden would be substantial. I’d be shocked if we kept him at that number (even if he wanted to) without somehow offloading another important rotation player.
Exactly. He would have to agree to leave entirely and come back at the minimum to minimize the impact.

Aren't the Warriors carrying like 4 max contracts? It's just a function of what we are willing to pay, not what we CAN pay.

Aren't the Warriors carrying like 4 max contracts? It's just a function of what we are willing to pay, not what we CAN pay.
Of course. But the warriors are OBVIOUS EXCEPTIONS, so why are you bringing them up specifically? It’s hard to use one of the greatest dynasties in NBA history has a template for our own probabilities.

Of course. But the warriors are OBVIOUS EXCEPTIONS, so why are you bringing them up specifically? It’s hard to use one of the greatest dynasties in NBA history has a template for our own probabilities.
Wiggins is one of those max contracts. Getting a team to the finals is worth paying the tax for. The Warriors were a small market also ran until they had playoff success. If the Jazz keep playing like they are, it would be foolish to break things up.

Once the click strikes midnight, well then, yeah

That warriors dynasty is over, Klay or no.
Doesn't really matter at this point. They've turned that franchise into an absolute money printing machine, especially with the move into downtown SF. They can spend monstrous amounts on salary and still be raking in cash.

Wiggins is one of those max contracts. Getting a team to the finals is worth paying the tax for. The Warriors were a small market also ran until they had playoff success. If the Jazz keep playing like they are, it would be foolish to break things up.

Once the click strikes midnight, well then, yeah
Wiggins was acquired in a two-step of moves, post-Durant, that were all about trade ballast. Once Thompson went down again, their plans around all of that (and their #2 pick) certainly changed.

They aren’t a good comparison/model—from market size, to talent base, to ownership. They popped whilst Curry was making a paltry $11 million/yr... and then again after the cap spiked with the new TV deal. Just a bad comparison all around.