What's new

Conley is a chemistry problem and we should trade him

I think Conley's humility is somewhat fake, TBH. If that wasn't the case, he would not take the 4th most shots on the team (15 per each 36 minutes) while shooting worst than thirteen other players (.377 from the field). Besides, the shots he takes he creates for himself, since only 21 percent of his two point FGs are assisted. In other words, he is the one deciding "it's time for me to take another shot", not Snyder. The fact is that the current Jazz team doesn't need his scoring and he still insists at being one. To make matters worse, he simply is not capable of being a scorer in this league at this point of his career. As I said in a post during the preseason, people always took Conley's coolness for smarts. I don't know if they were right at some point but now they surely aren't. Nowadays, Conley just misses a lot and then smiles, like it didn't really matter, hoping to captivate everyone. Most of the floaters that he takes, for instance, are amateur stuff: off rhythm, off balance, without even being able to fully extend his body, like if he isn't in basketball shape. Those moves of his are quite perplexing... and not in a good way.
And even the highlight that people showed here for the Grizz Conley (aka "good Conley") feature those "off balanced", "off rhythm" and highly contested typa bad shots that we simply as an established team would not allow or afford anyone not named Donovan Mitchell to take under Quin. Then people's gonna say " he can make those shots" but do these highlights actually show the shots he's missed and the touches he's got before he start making them? In last season Conley had 26 games out of 70 games total when he shot below 40%. Donovan, who we all know that has struggled shooting last season, had 29 games out of 77 games played. He's also had stretch of bad games when he struggled with his shots for 3 or 4 straight games but Memphis could afford to keep giving him the ball until he find his rhythm cuz they were tanking and with us, he'd be going straight to the bench.

If you think DedEx was held onto past his shelf life think of the costs management has sunk into Conley. In addition to the players and draft picks swapped for him, other casualties include Bricky, Raul and Favors. We also have the ace signings of Davis and Green to thank for the swap.

To me it sounds the same as the comparisons to Rubio that people were making with Conley. Conley is a massive upgrade to Rubio, Conley can run the PNR like a wizard, he's a floor general, hes great on defense. I agree that CP3 is better than Conley in probably every way, but I just don't think it translates to the Jazz and what the Jazz do. It's digging yourself deeper into the hole Conley has created.

Yes and no... look I'm a fan... I love this stuff and am susceptible to irrational mood swings.

I had hoped Conley would be a better version of George Hill. He isn't the caliber of player Paul is/has been. CP, even with all his failings and ********, is an all-time great. I think he could have a Nash/Stockton/Kidd end of career type of run the next couple years.

You are right in a sense of the "hole" here... we bought high on Conley... we'd be selling low... I'm not sure we are buying high/low on CP. CP is a pick and roll wizard and has made it work with similar players to Rudy... he's a great shooter and can guard almost 1-4... remember him on Gordon Hayward in the playoffs... Part of it is reputation and what he is allowed to get away with, but most is just great hands, timing, IQ. The guy is a savant. I think he adds another gear... if healthy.

Conley should improve... I think he makes us better than guys like Mudiay and Clarkson... I'm good keeping him and using him off the bench, but I don't think we should kid ourselves and look at us like a real contender. Might have a good playoff run doe. Lakers and Clips are both better and both will add a good piece at the deadline or in buyout... I guarantee it (Men's Wearhouse Style).

Yes he did fine with harden. Sometimes players get traded even when they play well

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app
It was a personality thing... CP wears on people because he wants to win so bad and crosses lines sometimes. Harden wants to win too, but he's not as high strung. CP has some MJ/Kobe to him that way, but just not as good as those guys. CP wore out Deandre and Blake too, but DeAndre is casual with basketball and Blake works his *** off but I don't think its his life blood like it is with CP.

Trading for Paul would be frying pan into the fire with that contract and playing style. And I guarantee OKC would love to do this deal. Kind of ironic actually because Paul is the “chemistry” issue and Conley has the reputation as the glue guy.

Last edited:
It was a personality thing... CP wears on people because he wants to win so bad and crosses lines sometimes. Harden wants to win too, but he's not as high strung. CP has some MJ/Kobe to him that way, but just not as good as those guys. CP wore out Deandre and Blake too, but DeAndre is casual with basketball and Blake works his *** off but I don't think its his life blood like it is with CP.
You forgot his issue with Austin Rivers.

If you think DedEx was held onto past his shelf life think of the costs management has sunk into Conley. In addition to the players and draft picks swapped for him, other casualties include Bricky, Raul and Favors. We also have the ace signings of Davis and Green to thank for the swap.
Had we not signed him to that asinine contract, the Jazz would’ve had enough cap to sign Bojan AND Brogdon.

Had we not signed him to that asinine contract, the Jazz would’ve had enough cap to sign Bojan AND Brogdon.
Or make a trade with OKC for Jerami Grant in the summer. I mean, at least make Ex's second and third year partially guaranteed or team options. Three year fully guarantee with no team options makes absolutely zero sense for a player with that sort of injury record.

He has won playoff series against better talented teams. It's not him specifically that's a difference maker it's a need for another really good player who can do what he does and be a floor leader. If we could trade him for someone else that can do that fine. But we probably can't so we need him to fit in to the system and get comfortable so he can okay like he has his whole career and be a big difference maker. He is a very good player.
He hasnt been a floor leader, hes been lost and inconsistent. Players that make the money he do are expected to be difference makers, if the jazz needed a "floor leader" they could have just kept Rubio, at least he played defense

Last year isn't that long ago. Conley usually starts slow most years. Missing a ton of games on a new team in a new role is making that worse. But you can see he moves fine he just is over thinking things.
That's fair. At least it isn't just another "but he's the missing piece because he's the missing piece" circular argument. I still maintain the most recent evidence is stronger than last year. He is struggling mightily to catch on and it's a big concern.

Last year isn't that long ago. Conley usually starts slow most years. Missing a ton of games on a new team in a new role is making that worse. But you can see he moves fine he just is over thinking things.
We are not in a position to slow down for Conley. Grizz could because they were tanking and their offense sucked. No the case with us. If we are willing to lose games then we let Conley get his touches and find his shots. He's simply not good enough of a scorer or shooter to warrant any more time or patience from us. If we just want a guy who can give us 16 or17 pts a night on OK efficiency, Clarkson is already doing that for us.

We are not in a position to slow down for Conley. Grizz could because they were tanking and their offense sucked. No the case with us. If we are willing to lose games then we let Conley get his touches and find his shots. He's simply not good enough of a scorer or shooter to warrant any more time or patience from us. If we just want a guy who can give us 16 or17 pts a night on OK efficiency, Clarkson is already doing that for us.

So then you're blaming the Houston loss on Conley? Cause we've won all the others since he's been back. Guy's been back just over a week, five games from the Kings' game to the Rockets, we win four out of five and all of a sudden he's a cancer. The game we lose Ingles didn't show up, Gobert didn't show up, Bogey didn't show up till the fourth...actually our best players besides Mitchell were Bradley and Niang - who was setting those guys up?

Does anybody up in here know how hard it is to come back from a hammy? He came back once after five games out and had to go out again to miss an additional fifteen. From his interview, I got the impression he was a little gimpy going into this season. He has restrictions, he's not supposed to dunk for example (he dunks with two hands). How is he supposed to come back in short minutes, playing with different players (second team), with that hammy in the back of his mind, and all the time trying so hard to turn this snake bit personal season around. You guys are frickin brutal.:(

So then you're blaming the Houston loss on Conley? Cause we've won all the others since he's been back. Guy's been back just over a week, five games from the Kings' game to the Rockets, we win four out of five and all of a sudden he's a cancer. The game we lose Ingles didn't show up, Gobert didn't show up, Bogey didn't show up till the fourth...actually our best players besides Mitchell were Bradley and Niang - who was setting those guys up?

Does anybody up in here know how hard it is to come back from a hammy? He came back once after five games out and had to go out again to miss an additional fifteen. From his interview, I got the impression he was a little gimpy going into this season. He has restrictions, he's not supposed to dunk for example (he dunks with two hands). How is he supposed to come back in short minutes, playing with different players (second team), with that hammy in the back of his mind, and all the time trying so hard to turn this snake bit personal season around. You guys are frickin brutal.:(
I never said Hou loss was due to Conley. All I'm saying is that we can't afford to give Conley any more time or patience. He needs to pick up his play or his PT will be given to another player. Grizz gave him enough touches last year on their way to finish in the bottom of the West. We will likewise start losing games if we give Conley the same treatment/privilege he received from Grizz last year.

I don't know if this has been brought up because I don't want to read any more pages but there IS a perfect trade partner out there

Conley for Al Horford

Both players are getting a lot of money and bother are seriously underperforming. Philly needs a PG desperately and Jazz need another scoring big it is a win-win for both team.

Jazz play Horford as the back up 5 and 4 and he get 25 minutes a night.