What's new

Conley Officially a Jazzman

There were two options: i) matching Conley's salary and operate as a team over the cap, thus getting the full MLE (9M)plus the bi annual exception or ii) sending less salary and absorbing Conley in our cap space, thus getting only the mini MLE (about 4.5M)
Thanks. Does waiving Favors open more cap space?

What does this entail? Do we have to resign one of our free agents specifically? What if we extend and increase Royce? Would something like that work to get us the MLE?

Not sure but I think so.

Use partial MLE on Caruso and partial on Portis!

You think Conley is going to turn down a $30M option at age 32/33 ?
Absolutely. If he plays to anything resembling what he played last year he is opting out of that 35M because someone in the league will give him 3/90 or something of the sort and it's absolutely worth it for him to get that final big payday(look at Horford as reference, same age, similar contract... opted out and will get paid... Conley will get paid too if he plays well this season). Keep in mind next year's FA class is horrible and Conley very likely will be the 2nd or 3d best FA. It's AD, Draymond and then the best FAs are Drummond, Derozan, Gallo... Lowry... Otto Porter...

Most importantly, Utah announcing this trade 2 and a half weeks before it can become official leads me believe they plan on making additional deals up through free agency - much like NJ trading Crabbe and AD to LAL.

I wouldn't be surprised if Exum and Favors are gone next in an effort to position themselves into FA pickup.

Absolutely. If he plays to anything resembling what he played last year he is opting out of that 35M because someone in the league will give him 3/90 or something of the sort and it's absolutely worth it for him to get that final big payday(look at Horford as reference, same age, similar contract... opted out and will get paid... Conley will get paid too if he plays well this season). Keep in mind next year's FA class is horrible and Conley very likely will be the 2nd or 3d best FA. It's AD, Draymond and then the best FAs are Drummond, Derozan, Gallo... Lowry... Otto Porter...

If Conley is worth that contract, then great, the Jazz are a Finals contender.

Pretty surprised Memphis didn't push for Royce - he seems like their kind of player.

Very happy Utah is keeping him.

Love the trade - the clock is ticking on Mitchell's rookie deal. The Jazz had to bring in talent ASAP.

Best post I've seen today. Keeping Royce was HUGE! If Exum pans out and O'Neale keeps improving, this team is amazing. Now we just need to add a bunch of depth at SF and PF.

Pretty surprised Memphis didn't push for Royce - he seems like their kind of player.

Very happy Utah is keeping him.

Love the trade - the clock is ticking on Mitchell's rookie deal. The Jazz had to bring in talent ASAP.

No chance Utah gives up Royce in almost any deal. For what he does on that contract? Nope. Royce will be Jazz man for a while yet.