What's new

Could Kanter and Gobert have worked?

His weakspot was 5 n 5 basketball offensively and defensively, he already just practiced for two years in Kentucky. Dude needed to learn, by playing the game. He still struggles with that and will only get better with patience.
So as gandalfe said, Kanter's weakness is still 5-on-5 basketball after 5,000+ mins in the NBA? Is there any other kind of basketball...well, outside the And1 tournaments? But wait, he's "the best player of his generation" as stated by Max Ergul. Dude doesn't need to learn anything; he's already greater than anyone else his age.

He averaged 13, 15, 27 and 27 mins. with Utah. Care to reference how many minutes players like Anthony Bennett, Otto Porter and Alex Len got as rookies? Even Derrick Favors didn't get a ton as a rookie. Kanter was NOT an NBA player coming into the league; he was a project who had been out of basketball for a year. As I've repeatedly said, only in Year #2 can you make an argument he was underutilized.

PERHAPS Utah should have moved Jefferson that season. But when? Before the year, it was still uncertain Kanter would be a top-tier starter. Big Al was a near 20-10 player and the Jazz were trying to make the playoffs. So you undermine that by letting him go at the deadline? And at his salary, there just weren't many possible destinations. I know because I looked at every single playoff team to see if he could fit financially and roster-wise. So the Jazz did EXACTLY what they should have done. Kept all their bigs for a playoff push (they barely missed), then committed to Kanter by telling Big Al goodbye. Enes got his chance (TWICE) to be the center of the future for Utah but didn't put up.

But you're right; I shouldn't place all of the blame on Enes. Most of it is Rudy's fault. Gobert is just too damn good and too damn passionate about winning and playing dominant defense. And Snyder cares too damn much about the Jazz being accountable for defense. Kanter is going to anchor a team like Charlotte in the future. A team will overpay to grab him because some stupid GM only looks at box scores and sees a 20/10 player. I have no doubt Enes will average that - or more. But I have serious concerns a team he plays on will ever be a contender.

Kanter is putting up numbers playing off of Westbrook. Kanter is a 2nd or 3rd option and what he's doing in OKC is working.

23/12 in his last 3 games is nothing to sneeze at. I'm pretty sure OKC is happy with the fit.

He's a Kevin Love-type player.

Kanter has a nice combination of size, strength and motor, to go with his instinctive scoring around the rim. He just isn't what the Jazz wanted in a PF, and he's not a guy who can really defend Cs.

I think the jazz would have been happy to keep him as a back-up at the right price.

Kanter is putting up numbers playing off of Westbrook. Kanter is a 2nd or 3rd option and what he's doing in OKC is working.

23/12 in his last 3 games is nothing to sneeze at. I'm pretty sure OKC is happy with the fit.

He's a Kevin Love-type player.

as in a player who can post impressive numbers that don't actually cause his team to win games ?

I see the same kanter haters still sh*tting on all he does.All OKC are important games as they play to hold on to a playoff spot.So these arent garbage points or chump rebounds that Kantor is getting .....their important pts and rebounds,they matter to keep OKC in the playoff hunt.
Last 5 games : Kanter ...34 minutes / 22pts /13.8 rebounds / 57% ....17 /17 FT's
........................Favors .... 33 minutes / 17.4 pts / 7 rebounds / 48% ....18 /26 FT's
........................Gobert.....35 minutes / 7.2 pts / 13.8 rebounds / 47% ..14 /26 FT's
Like him or not Kanter is excelling in a playoff race and getting better

Enes Kanter played 54 games w/ Utah.

He’s played 13 w/ OKC.

His top players he’s recived assists from:

Trey Burke: 44 times
Hayward: 37 times

Russ: 33 times

Kanter has a nice combination of size, strength and motor, to go with his instinctive scoring around the rim. He just isn't what the Jazz wanted in a PF, and he's not a guy who can really defend Cs.

I think the jazz would have been happy to keep him as a back-up at the right price.

But are they going to be happy to pay him?

Double edged sword. I really don't think Kanter was going to get the max with how his season was going in Utah. Now it's pretty much guaranteed.

But are they going to be happy to pay him?

Double edged sword. I really don't think Kanter was going to get the max with how his season was going in Utah. Now it's pretty much guaranteed.

Great point, but then using the same exact logic how can anyone blame Kanter for requesting a trade out of here?

as you said if he stays he won't get maxed splitting his time here with Gobert and clearly now we know someone WILL definitely max him with his legit 20/10 showing in OKC, why would anyone fault him for that, wouldn't you do the same for your career?

Take all the emotion aside as a Jazz fans and imagine if Kanter is your friend or your sibling, you would undoubtedly approve him requesting to be trade, no hard feelings whatsover

Great point, but then using the same exact logic how can anyone blame Kanter for requesting a trade out of here?

as you said if he stays he won't get maxed keeping playing for UTH when they decide to split his time with Gobert and clearly we know someone WILL max him now that he is showcasing as a legit 20/10 bigman, why would anyone fault him for that, wouldn't you do the same?

Take all the emotion aside as a Jazz fans and imagine if Kanter is your friend or your sibling, you would undoubtedly approve him requesting to be trade, no hard feelings whatsover

I have hard feelings with him going public like he did. Ergul already knew the Jazz were shopping Enes. But yeah, I guess because he was about to lose his starting job to Gobert, he HAD to force Lindsey's hand. Otherwise, his FA value would have dropped. He's a lucky man to have ended up in OKC: 1) they're all about offense; 2) he was going to get plenty of PT while Adams was out; 3) now Ibaka is hurt.

I can see the argument but I think:

Favors>Kanter on Offense and

Favors is >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Kanter on defense.

But realistically Kanter and Favors are different offensive players.

Favors is a better pick and roll player.

Favors is a much better Slasher.

Kanter is better at offensive rebounds and putback. (A large percentage of his point come from this) Besides the assists in OKC that Kanter is getting from Westbrook how many O-boards and put backs is he getting? Westbrook beats his man off the dribble a lot and requires a help defender to come over and contest his shots. Kanter is benefiting from easy boards and put backs since no one is guarding him in this situation.

Jump shooting is debatable. I think Favors shot looks better and his shooting percentages from the season confirm this. Favors has also said he always beats Kanter in shooting contests in practice, a fact Kanter never debated.

Favors is a much harder worker than Kanter traditionally. Maybe this is the offseason that changes but that would just be a guess. Fact is Favors has worked on his game a lot more.

Favors is a better and more willing passer.

Even if you disagree and think Kanter is a better offensive player than Favors he is marginally better under the best argument that I have read. Then you add in that Favors is significantly better offensively. Since 50 percent of the game is defense that makes Favors a much better player. It shocks me to think someone thinks we should have traded Favors and kept Kanter, or started/played kanter more minutes than Favors.

Favors has a nice offensive game for a big man, but he is nowhere the gifted offensive player that Kanter is, look at his footworks and post moves ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGDVpgwPiKg

And he's playing for a contract. Remember the season AK had before he signed his big deal?

if you think that's all Kanter is playing for ,then you lower yourself big time .........you don't think playing for a playoff spot with the rest of his new team mates is a big part of his focused play

And Broncster he's got blinders on or didnt watch Kanter play for Utah this year ...before Kanter left Utah he had the most 15 pt /15 rebound games for the Jazz ,,,already showing what he could do,,,,Now he's doing it in a playoff hunt when the games count ...what a dumba$$ to not understand that no one on the Jazz has ever gotten a chance to shine when fighting for a playoff spot,hopefully next year we'll get to see which Jazz player shines when their fighting for a playoff spot like Kanter is doing with his 1st opportunity

if you think that's all Kanter is playing for ,then you lower yourself big time .........you don't think playing for a playoff spot with the rest of his new team mates is a big part of his focused play

And Broncster he's got blinders on or didnt watch Kanter play for Utah this year ...before Kanter left Utah he had the most 15 pt /15 rebound games for the Jazz ,,,already showing what he could do,,,,Now he's doing it in a playoff hunt when the games count ...what a dumba$$ to not understand that no one on the Jazz has ever gotten a chance to shine when fighting for a playoff spot,hopefully next year we'll get to see which Jazz player shines when their fighting for a playoff spot like Kanter is doing with his 1st opportunity

First of all no one is arguing that Kanter does not have potential because he does. We are arguing that Favors is better. I have not missed a single Jazz game for at least a decade. Second of all no one knows what Kanter is playing for except him. He might be fighting for a playoff spot and for his teammates but he might be fighting for more money. What we do know is that he was not putting in a good effort in Utah and was not concerned about his teammates. He was a selfish player who cared about his own stats. Maybe that suddenly changed...

Favors has a nice offensive game for a big man, but he is nowhere the gifted offensive player that Kanter is, look at his footworks and post moves ..

Kanter does have really good footwork at times. That is only one part of offense though. Also Kanter travels a fair amount trying to do too much with his footwork.

For Kanter to be a really good offensive player he has to have great footwork. Below the rim offensive players who are not reliable jump shooters dont really have an option if they want to stay in the NBA.