What's new

Could the Jazz punt on this summer's free agency?

Anyone who thinks Parker is going to change the jazz offense is kidding themselves.
I mean, he definitely could change the Jazz's offense. He's hyper talented.

It's just he has no desire to play D and has a terrible injury history.

I find it hard to believe the Ringer's sources on this one. Maybe the Jazz are interested, but they wouldn't give up Favors + additional assets. I'm not sure they would even give up Favors straight up. And why would the Bulls want Favors (unless they just want to save money which a Parker/Favors swap would do)?

There is a middle ground between keeping powder dry and chasing every shiny thing to improve the team now and I think we’ve erred on the side of dry powder a bit too often or in the wrong environments.

I don’t know what will actually be out there but I hope we continue to be aggressive... even if it’s just on the fringes like with the Korver deal.
Uhh, what?

We went out and traded for starting PG's two years in a ****ing row. This past year was the first year DL did anything close to staying dry.

A big part of the problem is that we have $10 million next summer tied up with Dante Exum. Sure would be nice to have that cap space available.

Uhh, what?

We went out and traded for starting PG's two years in a ****ing row. This past year was the first year DL did anything close to staying dry.

Fair enough but I’m not sure those deals happen if there wasn’t the Gordon Hayward urgency. Hill probably still happens but I doubt Rubio does.

I’m less referring to trading picks... that’s not a great strategy in general... we’ve kept our cap sheet “flexible” for multiple years... that cap space is the powder I’m referring to. The year Hill was traded for we had excess space and the couple years before we had space and opportunities... that is the asset I think DL has done the least with.

That said we have no idea who can and would have signed with us. I hope we hit in FA but I’m doubtful we will... the powder is only useful for so long. I think there are opportunities now that may be better than the results of missing the FA mark.

Id put a higher % chance on the Jazz talking about trading Crowder/Exum for Parker to get off future money than they are talking Favors for Parker.

When we talk about an aggressive deal, I think most of us mean more than bench player Crowder, bench player Korver, or Rubio or Hill.

- As for Hill, we got a bottom half of the league PG in a league full of good PG's. Sure, he helped us when healthy, but us giving up a 1st rounder for only one guaranteed year was the only aggressive part of the deal.

- As for Rubio, Minnesota was trying to dump Rubio. It wasn't like we beat somebody to getting him. We used cap space and a 1st days before a new year started. If we would have waited, I bet we could have gotten Rubio for an expiring contract. http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19777526/minnesota-timberwolves-trading-ricky-rubio-utah-jazz And ironically enough, we traded for Rubio because we knew Hill was leaving.

When we talk about an aggressive deal, I think most of us mean more than bench player Crowder, bench player Korver, or Rubio or Hill.

- As for Hill, we got a bottom half of the league PG in a league full of good PG's. Sure, he helped us when healthy, but us giving up a 1st rounder for only one guaranteed year was the only aggressive part of the deal.

- As for Rubio, Minnesota was trying to dump Rubio. It wasn't like we beat somebody to getting him. We used cap space and a 1st days before a new year started. If we would have waited, I bet we could have gotten Rubio for an expiring contract. http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19777526/minnesota-timberwolves-trading-ricky-rubio-utah-jazz And ironically enough, we traded for Rubio because we knew Hill was leaving.
And this is why you're nothing more than a babbling moron. Trading 1st round picks is aggressive. You're the little pissant who complains about not being aggressive then moaning about how we should trade for Terry ****ing Rozier.

Find a new angle to complain about DL, because the one you are choosing to die on is false.

And this is why you're nothing more than a babbling moron. Trading 1st round picks is aggressive. You're the little pissant who complains about not being aggressive then moaning about how we should trade for Terry ****ing Rozier.

Find a new angle to complain about DL, because the one you are choosing to die on is false.

Of course you result to name calling. Back to topic - going to get a bottom 10 NBA point guard using a 1st rounder is not an aggressive move a contender makes. It's a move a franchise makes to stay status quo.

Terry Rozier is aggressive because it's going off of what he could be as a full time starter. Rozier was one of the top players of the 2018 postseason. Without him, Boston doesn't make it as far as they did.

Julius Randle in place of Derrick Favors would have been an aggressive move this last summer. You mocked me for pushing for Randle last year.

Bjelica would have been an aggressive move. And we could have gotten him instead of just keeping Thabo. Once again, we didn't.

Going after Tim Hardaway Jr. is an aggressive move. And if you know anything about the cap, his $17 million deal will look like a decent bargain after some of the bloated contracts we'll see signed this offseason.

Couple thoughts:

Korver is actually partially guaranteed so it doesn’t hurt cap space that much.

I’d put it at 60/40 that we’ll mostly stay put with a couple additions. If we add a starter, I’ll consider that being active.

If the record doesn’t improve much soon, Quin needs to get experimental. Play Exum, maybe at 3. Play Allen to rest Mitchell more, play Bradley to give favors and gobert a rest, thabo too. Even niang and rest joe more. Let the stars get more rest and really find out what we have. See if internal development actually works on these guys.

Of course you result to name calling. Back to topic - going to get a bottom 10 NBA point guard using a 1st rounder is not an aggressive move a contender makes. It's a move a franchise makes to stay status quo.

Terry Rozier is aggressive because it's going off of what he could be as a full time starter. Rozier was one of the top players of the 2018 postseason. Without him, Boston doesn't make it as far as they did.

Julius Randle in place of Derrick Favors would have been an aggressive move this last summer. You mocked me for pushing for Randle last year.

Bjelica would have been an aggressive move. And we could have gotten him instead of just keeping Thabo. Once again, we didn't.

Going after Tim Hardaway Jr. is an aggressive move. And if you know anything about the cap, his $17 million deal will look like a decent bargain after some of the bloated contracts we'll see signed this offseason.
Bjelica an aggressive move. Lmao.

Bjelica an aggressive move. Lmao.

Taking a chance on Bjelica to probably be our starting PF over incumbent Favors would have been a very aggressive move.

I fully expected you and @Saint Cy of JFC to take a shot at my mention of that move. Y'all both think burning a 1st rounder and cap space on George Hill or Rubio is "aggressive". Going out and getting a guy with 6+ years experience as an average pro is staying status quo. If anything, it's just risky because you had to burn a pick which could emerge to be a good player.

Taking a chance on Bjelica to probably be our starting PF over incumbent Favors would have been a very aggressive move.

I fully expected you and @Saint Cy of JFC to take a shot at my mention of that move. Y'all both think burning a 1st rounder and cap space on George Hill or Rubio is "aggressive". Going out and getting a guy with 6+ years experience as an average pro is staying status quo. If anything, it's just risky because you had to burn a pick which could emerge to be a good player.
You should just stop. Like, with probably lots of things, but definitely this.

You should just stop. Like, with probably lots of things, but definitely this.

You never have anything valuable to contribute. You probably don't even know what you are whining about anymore.

You never have anything valuable to contribute. You probably don't even know what you are whining about anymore.
I’m definitely fading out around here. My contributions are going elsewhere. That’s, in part, because of your noise and the noise of your type.

Been around here a long time, though... and rarely have I seen a wind-bag of your proportions. Grats.

I’m definitely fading out around here. My contributions are going elsewhere. That’s, in part, because of your noise and the noise of your type.

Been around here a long time, though... and rarely have I seen a wind-bag of your proportions. Grats.

I fail to see what I did to upset you. Cy and I were disputing the definition of aggressive.

I apologize if I said anything to upset you. Honestly. All my efforts go into finding solutions, not trying to step on toes.

Lopo's instance on being intellectually dishonest is incredible.

Somehow trading a first rounder for a starting PG isnt aggressive, but signing a 30 year old career backup to a MLE deal is.

Wait, didn't we do that last year TWICE when we signed Jerebko and Thabo? Or the year before when we signed Joe Johnson? If that's you standard for an aggressive move, DL has been out here like Mike Tyson.

I'm not trying to defend every move DL has made as the right move, but the idea that the guy just sits on his hands and has never made an aggressive move to solve the team's issues is just factually incorrect.