Could the Jazz punt on this summer's free agency?

jazzfan1971

I was kind of upset when we traded for Korver, sacrificing some of our cap space in the summer. And now I am reading that the Jazz have interest in Jabari Parker. So, I put 2 and 2 together and think, maybe the Jazz have decided that there is too much competition in this coming summer's free agency and might be better served waiting it out one more season.

With that in mind the trading of expiring deals for 2 year deal in Korver and Parker makes more sense. (although we could always just keep Favors on the books for 1 year if we want)

We would end up with basically the same amount of cap in 2 summers as we have now if we went down this path. I wouldn't be terribly surprised if this was the plan.

infection

Staff member
2018 Award Winner
2019 Award Winner
We're kind of in a position where we can no longer punt. That would be going in to Gobert's last year (?) and if we're not showing that we're a top team, or close to it, it's a little hard to sell us as a destination. We keep looking at a desert mirage.

If we trade for Jabari, it allows us to kick the tires and, if he's a good fit, great. If not, don't guarantee his deal.

LoPo

I think we should punt on free agency and get any player who can help us now. Next summer is going to be summer 2016 all over again. Over half of the players in the NBA are free agents this summer. Half of the NBA teams can make enough space for a max free agent. It is not going to be a great summer to spend money as a small market team.

Jack Strop

Lindsey has punted every year since he took over, despite saying every season he wanted to have "financial flexibility" so the Jazz could be players in free agency. He kicks the tires, then decides prices are too high and signs players off the scrap heap.

As LoPo said, half the teams in the NBA can clear significant space. This is a far cry from what some on this board were saying a year or two ago. And the same scenario happens every year.

Im in on Jabari. He can be a 20pt game scorer to complement Donovan. And i believe its a team option for next year. Protect the pick for top-10 and get it done.

Thee Idiotic Minivan K

I think we should punt on free agency and get any player who can help us now. Next summer is going to be summer 2016 all over again. Over half of the players in the NBA are free agents this summer. Half of the NBA teams can make enough space for a max free agent. It is not going to be a great summer to spend money as a small market team.
But Mitchell is on his rookie deal. We aren’t looking to sign Deng to crazy money. We are looking to sign a Harris or Niko or someone like that. We need to take advantage of Mitchell’s rookie deal and get another stud.

infection

Staff member
2018 Award Winner
2019 Award Winner
But Mitchell is on his rookie deal. We aren’t looking to sign Deng to crazy money. We are looking to sign a Harris or Niko or someone like that. We need to take advantage of Mitchell’s rookie deal and get another stud.
The problem is we have passed on the birds in the hand. Right now you’re arguing to wait because we can sign a Harris or a Niko. Well, Harris has some MVP chatter and while I’d love him, he’s out. We had Niko in hand last year, but balked because we saw this desert mirage of possibility. Now, ironically, Niko is a desert mirage of possibility that will enable us to balk at other things. I don’t know what the answer is with regard to Jabari, but I certainly don’t oppose it, especially if we can get it for minimal cost and don’t have to guarantee the second year. I think this off-season is fairly critical. If we come away empty handed, we’re a cooked goose. We may land a Marcus Morris.

LoPo

The problem is we have passed on the birds in the hand. Right now you’re arguing to wait because we can sign a Harris or a Niko. Well, Harris has some MVP chatter and while I’d love him, he’s out. We had Niko in hand last year, but balked because we saw this desert mirage of possibility. Now, ironically, Niko is a desert mirage of possibility that will enable us to balk at other things. I don’t know what the answer is with regard to Jabari, but I certainly don’t oppose it, especially if we can get it for minimal cost and don’t have to guarantee the second year. I think this off-season is fairly critical. If we come away empty handed, we’re a cooked goose. We may land a Marcus Morris.

https://basketball.realgm.com/analy...Available-2019-Cap-Space-For-All-30-NBA-Teams

Teams will have massive cap space this summer. Without any cost cutting moves, 14 teams already have at least $13+ million in space. If you take a look at maximum space, there could be a scenario where only 5 teams are above the salary cap going into the summer.

I'm an optimist (which is why I love dreaming through trades), but I'm also a realist (we don't have any sort of proven track record to have faith in a big free agent signing).

Handlogten's Heros

2019 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
We punt on third down...

I’m kidding but I find it comical that some of the guys I wanted to use cap space to try and acquire (Middleton and Harris) during the cakk bakkk years are the guys we are praying will take our money now.

We’ve managed flexibility well but not done a lot with that flexibility and are kicking the cab to a point where we are close to out of runway.

I think DLs plan A is use space this summer... on one of the guys we’ve likely talked circles about already.

I think plan B is to try again in 2020... so if we don’t get the guy prepare for a ton of “powder dry” “bites at the apple” and talk of how we believe in our internal development and how Grayson Allen and Tony Bradley haven’t played so they are kind of like our big FA additions.

I’ve already said my piece... I’d acquire guys now on okayish deals that can help. I don’t see it happening.

infection

Staff member
2018 Award Winner
2019 Award Winner
We punt on third down...
OMG yes.

I’m kidding but I find it comical that some of the guys I wanted to use cap space to try and acquire (Middleton and Harris) during the cakk bakkk years are the guys we are praying will take our money now.
The unfortunate irony.

We ... are kicking the cab to a point where we are close to out of runway.
This.

I think plan B is to try again in 2020... so if we don’t get the guy prepare for a ton of “powder dry” “bites at the apple” and talk of how we believe in our internal development and how Grayson Allen and Tony Bradley haven’t played so they are kind of like our big FA additions.
Unfortunate, but true.

ETA: Bradley hasn't played a single minute this season and played a total of 29 last season. For his own damn sake, let's find this guy a new team.

Also ETA: there was talk that he'd be a top 10 pick had he come out in 2018. Wonder how much he regrets that.

Handlogten's Heros

2019 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
Anyone who thinks Parker is going to change the jazz offense is kidding themselves.

Thing that kills me is he is talented. I think he lacks the motivation or focus or something that leads to some of his poor play. I’m not sure that changes until the guy spends some time playing basketball in turkey or China and realizes he’s gonna have to drive to be successful... there are just some things that aren’t connecting there... I can see why guys are still intrigued but I largely agree with you... Jabari ain’t the answer.

LoPo

The beauty is that DL can say he tried. He was loyal to last year's team, and he tried to have Quin recreate last year's team. Really, nobody can have any regrets of "we should have stuck with it longer." We have had pretty much the same model for 2.5 years (replace Hayward with Donovan), and it is not showing signs of being good enough to contend.

He can be bold and everyone would understand it's worth the gamble. Nobody here should realistically think Rubio or Favors or maybe even Exum are key cogs to a title run. But DL tried. Now he can make a move.