What's new

Could the Jazz punt on this summer's free agency?

jazzfan1971

I was kind of upset when we traded for Korver, sacrificing some of our cap space in the summer. And now I am reading that the Jazz have interest in Jabari Parker. So, I put 2 and 2 together and think, maybe the Jazz have decided that there is too much competition in this coming summer's free agency and might be better served waiting it out one more season.

With that in mind the trading of expiring deals for 2 year deal in Korver and Parker makes more sense. (although we could always just keep Favors on the books for 1 year if we want)

We would end up with basically the same amount of cap in 2 summers as we have now if we went down this path. I wouldn't be terribly surprised if this was the plan.

We're kind of in a position where we can no longer punt. That would be going in to Gobert's last year (?) and if we're not showing that we're a top team, or close to it, it's a little hard to sell us as a destination. We keep looking at a desert mirage.

If we trade for Jabari, it allows us to kick the tires and, if he's a good fit, great. If not, don't guarantee his deal.

I think we should punt on free agency and get any player who can help us now. Next summer is going to be summer 2016 all over again. Over half of the players in the NBA are free agents this summer. Half of the NBA teams can make enough space for a max free agent. It is not going to be a great summer to spend money as a small market team.

Lindsey has punted every year since he took over, despite saying every season he wanted to have "financial flexibility" so the Jazz could be players in free agency. He kicks the tires, then decides prices are too high and signs players off the scrap heap.

As LoPo said, half the teams in the NBA can clear significant space. This is a far cry from what some on this board were saying a year or two ago. And the same scenario happens every year.

Im in on Jabari. He can be a 20pt game scorer to complement Donovan. And i believe its a team option for next year. Protect the pick for top-10 and get it done.

I think we should punt on free agency and get any player who can help us now. Next summer is going to be summer 2016 all over again. Over half of the players in the NBA are free agents this summer. Half of the NBA teams can make enough space for a max free agent. It is not going to be a great summer to spend money as a small market team.
But Mitchell is on his rookie deal. We aren’t looking to sign Deng to crazy money. We are looking to sign a Harris or Niko or someone like that. We need to take advantage of Mitchell’s rookie deal and get another stud.

But Mitchell is on his rookie deal. We aren’t looking to sign Deng to crazy money. We are looking to sign a Harris or Niko or someone like that. We need to take advantage of Mitchell’s rookie deal and get another stud.
The problem is we have passed on the birds in the hand. Right now you’re arguing to wait because we can sign a Harris or a Niko. Well, Harris has some MVP chatter and while I’d love him, he’s out. We had Niko in hand last year, but balked because we saw this desert mirage of possibility. Now, ironically, Niko is a desert mirage of possibility that will enable us to balk at other things. I don’t know what the answer is with regard to Jabari, but I certainly don’t oppose it, especially if we can get it for minimal cost and don’t have to guarantee the second year. I think this off-season is fairly critical. If we come away empty handed, we’re a cooked goose. We may land a Marcus Morris.

The problem is we have passed on the birds in the hand. Right now you’re arguing to wait because we can sign a Harris or a Niko. Well, Harris has some MVP chatter and while I’d love him, he’s out. We had Niko in hand last year, but balked because we saw this desert mirage of possibility. Now, ironically, Niko is a desert mirage of possibility that will enable us to balk at other things. I don’t know what the answer is with regard to Jabari, but I certainly don’t oppose it, especially if we can get it for minimal cost and don’t have to guarantee the second year. I think this off-season is fairly critical. If we come away empty handed, we’re a cooked goose. We may land a Marcus Morris.

https://basketball.realgm.com/analy...Available-2019-Cap-Space-For-All-30-NBA-Teams

Teams will have massive cap space this summer. Without any cost cutting moves, 14 teams already have at least $13+ million in space. If you take a look at maximum space, there could be a scenario where only 5 teams are above the salary cap going into the summer.

I'm an optimist (which is why I love dreaming through trades), but I'm also a realist (we don't have any sort of proven track record to have faith in a big free agent signing).

We punt on third down...

I’m kidding but I find it comical that some of the guys I wanted to use cap space to try and acquire (Middleton and Harris) during the cakk bakkk years are the guys we are praying will take our money now.

We’ve managed flexibility well but not done a lot with that flexibility and are kicking the cab to a point where we are close to out of runway.

I think DLs plan A is use space this summer... on one of the guys we’ve likely talked circles about already.

I think plan B is to try again in 2020... so if we don’t get the guy prepare for a ton of “powder dry” “bites at the apple” and talk of how we believe in our internal development and how Grayson Allen and Tony Bradley haven’t played so they are kind of like our big FA additions.

I’ve already said my piece... I’d acquire guys now on okayish deals that can help. I don’t see it happening.

We punt on third down...
OMG yes.

I’m kidding but I find it comical that some of the guys I wanted to use cap space to try and acquire (Middleton and Harris) during the cakk bakkk years are the guys we are praying will take our money now.
The unfortunate irony.

We ... are kicking the cab to a point where we are close to out of runway.
This.

I think plan B is to try again in 2020... so if we don’t get the guy prepare for a ton of “powder dry” “bites at the apple” and talk of how we believe in our internal development and how Grayson Allen and Tony Bradley haven’t played so they are kind of like our big FA additions.
Unfortunate, but true.

ETA: Bradley hasn't played a single minute this season and played a total of 29 last season. For his own damn sake, let's find this guy a new team.

Also ETA: there was talk that he'd be a top 10 pick had he come out in 2018. Wonder how much he regrets that.

Anyone who thinks Parker is going to change the jazz offense is kidding themselves.

Thing that kills me is he is talented. I think he lacks the motivation or focus or something that leads to some of his poor play. I’m not sure that changes until the guy spends some time playing basketball in turkey or China and realizes he’s gonna have to drive to be successful... there are just some things that aren’t connecting there... I can see why guys are still intrigued but I largely agree with you... Jabari ain’t the answer.

The beauty is that DL can say he tried. He was loyal to last year's team, and he tried to have Quin recreate last year's team. Really, nobody can have any regrets of "we should have stuck with it longer." We have had pretty much the same model for 2.5 years (replace Hayward with Donovan), and it is not showing signs of being good enough to contend.

He can be bold and everyone would understand it's worth the gamble. Nobody here should realistically think Rubio or Favors or maybe even Exum are key cogs to a title run. But DL tried. Now he can make a move.

OMG yes.

The unfortunate irony.

This.

Unfortunate, but true.

ETA: Bradley hasn't played a single minute this season and played a total of 29 last season. For his own damn sake, let's find this guy a new team.

Also ETA: there was talk that he'd be a top 10 pick had he come out in 2018. Wonder how much he regrets that.

I doubt it... he came out at the right time. I’m fairly sure we projected him to be a good shooter and he really hasn’t had any meaningful development there. I’m not going to kill jazz brass for the pick... maybe they thought he could be Jokic or Aldridge... he’s nimble for a guy his size but I think he’s a backup at best... not sure he’s going to be a good backup unless he can shoot a bit.

Drafting is hard... not gonna beat em up on it anymore.

There is a middle ground between keeping powder dry and chasing every shiny thing to improve the team now and I think we’ve erred on the side of dry powder a bit too often or in the wrong environments.

I don’t know what will actually be out there but I hope we continue to be aggressive... even if it’s just on the fringes like with the Korver deal.

I love our core (Gobert, Ingles, Mitchell) and even some of the bench guys (O'Neale, Korver, Udoh, Grayson).

I'm willing to gamble on a guy or two who might be able to make us better. We aren't gonna go out there an add somebody who is a perfect fit. We just need to get guys who help us put the ball in the basket.

Thing that kills me is he is talented. I think he lacks the motivation or focus or something that leads to some of his poor play. I’m not sure that changes until the guy spends some time playing basketball in turkey or China and realizes he’s gonna have to drive to be successful... there are just some things that aren’t connecting there... I can see why guys are still intrigued but I largely agree with you... Jabari ain’t the answer.
I have a lot of questions and concerns about Jabari, and basically wrote him off after his comments on defense. I think it's certainly possible he can find a situation where he excels and we all wonder why we didn't roll the dice. I'm not a live-or-die Jabari guy, but just as I have questions and concerns about Jabari, I've also got questions and concerns about our direction and plan. It reminds me of the guy who wants to get married, but keeps passing up opportunities. More power to him if he's not entirely satisfied and wants to keep his options open, but soon he's 40 and has accumulated quite a list of people who weren't quite good enough that it makes me think the odds that none of those other girls were "quite right" may have a different explanation.

I have a lot of questions and concerns about Jabari, and basically wrote him off after his comments on defense. I think it's certainly possible he can find a situation where he excels and we all wonder why we didn't roll the dice. I'm not a live-or-die Jabari guy, but just as I have questions and concerns about Jabari, I've also got questions and concerns about our direction and plan. It reminds me of the guy who wants to get married, but keeps passing up opportunities. More power to him if he's not entirely satisfied and wants to keep his options open, but soon he's 40 and has accumulated quite a list of people who weren't quite good enough that it makes me think the odds that none of those other girls were "quite right" may have a different explanation.

I have that friend... after years of looking and one failed marriage... like awkwardly brief... he found like the perfect person for him... there is hope.

With regard to Jabari... the issue with getting him now rather than as a buyout is the contract has zero upside. I honestly think the guy needs to hit rock bottom and change his attitude.

I’d take the chance on him if you had him on a 2 year minimum deal as a make good contract or something around 5-6M a year for a few years so there is upside if you help him get right. I view Exum as having negative value so if we got off his money then maybe... I just don’t think he understands that he needs to make some changes. Most reclamation projects fail.

I also think we need to realize that some of the guys we are looking at as difference makers we’d have laughed at in the offseason if posters on here said they’d make a meaningful difference...

Dinwiddie
Bjelica
Randle
Gallo

Are not name brand guys... but they would all help us tremendously. I don’t think we need the huge FA splash... a few savvy changes and hit on a pick or two. I look at Toronto... lots of continuity but also make changes on the fringes and pounce when opportunity strikes. Thought the last few years they bought low on Ibaka, drafted guys like Siakham/Wright/OG, found some cheap additions like Van Vleet... has some misses on Miles/Powell but nothing that has killed them... then they pounced on an opportunity when it presented itself.

None of those early moves were the one that put them over the top but you keep adding around a core and changing out parts to see what works. They are good, deep, and if Kawhi leaves they still have some flexibility.

Our continuity over everything approach has hurt us... some changes around the core could really help us breakout.

Will be an interesting 2 years.

I also think we need to realize that some of the guys we are looking at as difference makers we’d have laughed at in the offseason if posters on here said they’d make a meaningful difference...

Dinwiddie
Bjelica
Randle
Gallo

Are not name brand guys... but they would all help us tremendously. I don’t think we need the huge FA splash... a few savvy changes and hit on a pick or two. I look at Toronto... lots of continuity but also make changes on the fringes and pounce when opportunity strikes. Thought the last few years they bought low on Ibaka, drafted guys like Siakham/Wright/OG, found some cheap additions like Van Vleet... has some misses on Miles/Powell but nothing that has killed them... then they pounced on an opportunity when it presented itself.

None of those early moves were the one that put them over the top but you keep adding around a core and changing out parts to see what works. They are good, deep, and if Kawhi leaves they still have some flexibility.

Our continuity over everything approach has hurt us... some changes around the core could really help us breakout.

Will be an interesting 2 years.

Part of why I mention this is just because we miss out on Harris or Middleton there might still be a lot of value getting two guys on like a Bojan Bogdonovic type level... I don’t know if we go that route though because we seem to be aimed much higher.

Part of why I mention this is just because we miss out on Harris or Middleton there might still be a lot of value getting two guys on like a Bojan Bogdonovic type level... I don’t know if we go that route though because we seem to be aimed much higher.

If we don't make a move and wait for free agency, I feel that it's going to be "go after the big fish" or keep what we have. If you were to poll the average Jazz fan, they would be outraged if we chose Bjelica over bringing back Favors. Getting two Bogdonovic guys will be weighed against keeping what we have. This is where we are loyal to a fault.

And another issue - Bogdonovic guys are probably going to make 25-40% more this year than they did last year or in the past. The salary cap is going up a staggering $7 million this year. In other words, it's going up more than Bjelica's entire salary this year. Mid-range guys will get overpaid this summer. I bet guys like Randle and Russell get $25.

Next fall, Tim Hardaway's $17 million for a 21 point per game scorer is going to look like a bargain.