What's new

Could this be the best trade in Jazz History?

pappyman

We just traded our franchise point guard for a quality starting point guard and a future superstar PF PLUS 2 lottery picks and 3 million dollars in cash. This trade might be the one that finally puts us over the top as an NBA Championship contender. Also, our summer league team this year is going to be freaking amazing!!! Not that it matters or anything. Anyway, this trade seems similar to the one that the Dallas Cowboys made when they traded Herschel Walker. If I remember correctly, the Dallas fans were up in arms about that trade, too. But if I remember correctly, the draft picks they received landed the Cowboys Emmitt Smith and Troy Aikman, who eventually led Dallas to 3 Superbowl wins.

We just traded our franchise point guard for a quality starting point guard and a future superstar PF PLUS 2 lottery picks and 3 million dollars in cash. This trade might be the one that finally puts us over the top as an NBA Championship contender. Also, our summer league team this year is going to be freaking amazing!!! Not that it matters or anything. Anyway, this trade seems similar to the one that the Dallas Cowboys made when they traded Herschel Walker. If I remember correctly, the Dallas fans were up in arms about that trade, too. But if I remember correctly, the draft picks they received landed the Cowboys Emmitt Smith and Troy Aikman, who eventually led Dallas to 3 Superbowl wins.

I think this trade will have a lot more risk/reward with Harris/SFavors/Picks than possibly signing a proven cry-baby, poor leader, and legend killer MeWill. It's a shame this seems to be a weak draft, but the picks could still be used as valuable trade assets to acquire a much needed SG. I said it before, and I'll say it again --- KOC doesn't know how to rebuild, he knows how to reload.

Only time will tell, but yes, it could happen. Remember before DWill when the media used to comment about how good Utah was considering they had no lottery picks on their roster. Well, if the Jazz miss the playoffs this year and keep their two picks + the GS 1st, they could potentially have SEVEN lottery picks on their roster in 2 yrs. Harris, Favors, Hayward, Jefferson, two picks this summer, one pick in 2012. Half the roster picked at 14 or higher.

I know it was only one game, but the attitude of the Jazz against Indiana was absolutely nasty (in a great way). They got after it defensively. There were some hiccups on offense, but I think that will change as Harris takes over and learns the plays.

Jefferson is playing like an all-star and Favors has a TON of potential. If Derrick develops into a beast and KOC parlays the lottery picks into a stud wing, then we have a chance. In 2-3 years we could very well look back on this as the trade that made the Jazz a contender, just like Hornacek for Jeff Malone ALMOST put the Jazz over the top.

Only time will tell, but yes, it could happen. Remember before DWill when the media used to comment about how good Utah was considering they had no lottery picks on their roster. Well, if the Jazz miss the playoffs this year and keep their two picks + the GS 1st, they could potentially have SEVEN lottery picks on their roster in 2 yrs. Harris, Favors, Hayward, Jefferson, two picks this summer, one pick in 2012. Half the roster picked at 14 or higher.

I know it was only one game, but the attitude of the Jazz against Indiana was absolutely nasty (in a great way). They got after it defensively. There were some hiccups on offense, but I think that will change as Harris takes over and learns the plays.

Jefferson is playing like an all-star and Favors has a TON of potential. If Derrick develops into a beast and KOC parlays the lottery picks into a stud wing, then we have a chance. In 2-3 years we could very well look back on this as the trade that made the Jazz a contender, just like Hornacek for Jeff Malone ALMOST put the Jazz over the top.

Have to be positive about the situation. Being negative just doesn't work. I think to to sum up the quote above, there's a chance, if everything works out perfectly, that the Jazz traded one stud lotto pick for four stud lotto picks. Harris will likely never be the top level stud Williams has become, but he is a low level stud, and who knows on the other three.

I know I'm a Deron homer and a Jazz homer and initially this trade upset me due to the fact that we gave up a legit star for potential. But...as I look at teams that have won championships in my lifetime, not many of them have had the best pg's. I hope that this trade turns into what we as Jazz fans think it will.

No.

Well the jury is out, but the Hornacek trade still has to go down as the best trade we have made. The trade up in the draft to get Deron would have to be #2, even though it didn't turn out as maybe we hoped. But this one has a solid shot to be #3 and maybe higher depending on how it all plays out.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to freakazoid again.

Dammit

Could be pretty bad, could be really good. Harris for Williams+$3 mill is horrible, it's just a question of whether Favors and the picks pan out...decent pot odds.

It all depends on Favors and the NJ pick. If either of those turn into All-Star players, then this was a great trade. I realize the GS pick could have a lot of value too, but they will probably be better next year than this year.

You never know, we could end up with the 1st pick this year! Perry Jones or Kyle Irving guys?

Well this trade has the potential to be a game changer but it also has the chance of blowing up in our face.

How are we going to re-sign all this talent?
Draft picks could be nothing?
Harris could leave.
Favors could not be the a superstar but just a very good player.
Favors could leave.
Injuries
Jazz front office overpaying for their own players.

Just say if Harris plays well then he will want a new contract. AJ is playing like a beast so he will want another contract. Millsap, Hayward, our two/three lottery picks. Now everyone wants to re-sign AK. So there are a lot of questions about keeping the talent and developing it. Favors offensive game is limited to dunks and put backs. Hayward is still developing. Jazz still need shooters. Hopefully, the draft will help with that but I don't see too many shooters who are NBA ready. They may take a few years.

Reason to be excited

Harris can return to All-star form
Favors becomes a dominating player and improves offensively.
Jazz get two lottery picks this year. They get the superstar SF and a very good role player off the bench. Someone who can shoot.
Next year the Jazz add to their talent base with the GS pick (shooting guard)
Tomic comes over and gives us length and shooting off the bench.
Jazz win 65 games get the first seed out west. Crush the Lakers, Spurs and Mavs on the way to sweeping the Miami Heat. Denying the King another chance of a championship.
Jazz win 4 Nba championships in a row and even ESPN is forced to show Jazz highlights.
Jazz bring back Stockton and Malone to coach so they get the rings they deserved in 98.
Jazz are the envy of all the sports world and the blueprint on how to run a franchise in a small market.

So somewhere in between these two scenario. I think it will take a few years maybe more before the true value of this trade will be known.

Well this trade has the potential to be a game changer but it also has the chance of blowing up in our face.

Harris could leave.
Favors could leave.
Injuries

Just say if Harris plays well then he will want a new contract. AJ is playing like a beast so he will want another contract. Millsap, Hayward, our two/three lottery picks. Now everyone wants to re-sign AK. So there are a lot of questions about keeping the talent and developing it. Favors offensive game is limited to dunks and put backs. Hayward is still developing. Jazz still need shooters. Hopefully, the draft will help with that but I don't see too many shooters who are NBA ready. They may take a few years.

Reason to be excited

Jazz get two lottery picks this year. They get the superstar SF and a very good role player off the bench. Someone who can shoot.
Jazz win 65 games get the first seed out west. Crush the Lakers, Spurs and Mavs on the way to sweeping the Miami Heat. Denying the King another chance of a championship.
Jazz win 4 Nba championships in a row and even ESPN is forced to show Jazz highlights.
Jazz bring back Stockton and Malone to coach so they get the rings they deserved in 98.
Jazz are the envy of all the sports world and the blueprint on how to run a franchise in a small market.

So somewhere in between these two scenario. I think it will take a few years maybe more before the true value of this trade will be known.

the secret to getting most talent to re-up is to win.
if we can get mid to late playoff success by the end of their contracts they wont want to leave.

I appreciate the uptimism in this thread. It's been too long.

I don't think they'll leave considering how much they may have developed here. They'll soon find out they should love the Jazz. I hope Favors becomes a beast.

Harris could leave.
Favors could leave.
Injuries

Reason to be excited

1- Devin & Al's contracts are up after the '12/13 season.
2- If Favors can be that big disruptive body (alongside "BIG AL"), then I think we can be huge force in the future.
3- If Tomic comes over, I just see him as being a poor man's Bargani. I think Evans could be more impactful if he gets stronger, either way I think we're ok as for depth here.
4- I like what i've seen in Hayward (good glue guy) but we still need a stud-wing who can be our defensive stopper (maybe we can use our picks w/ Memo's contract to do something about it).

easily the best. We were losing Dwill anyway, so we got stuff for nothing...
Best trade ever for Jazz.