What's new

Current events thread

Schiff has it exactly right. The main reason the appointment should be ruled out is because he is on record detailing how he would undermine the Mueller investigation. The idea that anyone could appoint their own prosecutor is BS. This is exactly the scenario that calls for the Senate to be involved in the appointment of the AG.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using JazzFanz mobile app

An important lawsuit over the acting AG appointment has been brought on behalf of 3 Democratic senators:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/opinions/wp/2018/11/19/another-critical-lawsuit/

"Protect Democracy, a nonpartisan legal group that has dogged President Trump on constitutional issues and violations of democratic norms for two years, filed yet another suit on Monday against the Trump administration. In conjunction with the Constitutional Accountability Center and on behalf of Sens. Richard Blumenthal (D-Conn.), Sheldon Whitehouse (D-R.I.), and Mazie K. Hirono (D-Hawaii), Protect Democracy is challenging the appointment of acting attorney general Matthew G. Whitaker. In a news release the group explains:

The Constitution’s Appointments Clause requires that the Senate confirm high-level federal government officials, including the Attorney General, before they exercise the duties of the office. The Framers included this requirement to ensure that senior administration officials receive scrutiny by the American people’s representatives in Congress. The Appointments Clause is also meant to prevent the President, in the words of Alexander Hamilton in Federalist 76, from appointing officers with “no other merit than that of…possessing the necessary insignificance and pliancy to render them the obsequious instruments of his pleasure.” . . .

President Trump’s violation of the Constitution’s Appointments Clause, unilaterally preventing members of the Senate from voting on whether or not to consent to Matthew Whitaker serving as a principal Officer, leaves Senators no choice but to seek a remedy through the courts."

Should we just call this “complain about Republicans thread”?

Cause I swear we got this already. How about Current Events sans politics? That would be more enjoyable.

Should we just call this “complain about Republicans thread”?

Cause I swear we got this already. How about Current Events sans politics? That would be more enjoyable.

I've posted links to a couple of non political stories in this thread, but there's only one major accident on the national highway, currently, and everybody has been slowing down to gawk at it for a couple of years now.

They think a cougar may have gotten her. Not too far from where a boy was taken from his tent by a bear. My wife runs alone on a trail right by our house that has had many cougar sightings over the years. Between that and all the psycho's I get a little nervous. Got her a little mace for her wrist and she takes our golden retriever sometimes.

https://www.ksl.com/article/4643022...-area-for-clues-in-jerika-binks-disappearance

They think a cougar may have gotten her. Not too far from where a boy was taken from his tent by a bear. My wife runs alone on a trail right by our house that has had many cougar sightings over the years. Between that and all the psycho's I get a little nervous. Got her a little mace for her wrist and she takes our golden retriever sometimes.

https://www.ksl.com/article/4643022...-area-for-clues-in-jerika-binks-disappearance

I’ve kind of thought the same thing about her. Cougar got her and dragged her off.

I’ve kind of thought the same thing about her. Cougar got her and dragged her off.
Is it easy for the casual tourist who likes hiking to encounter a cougar near SLC or Utah in general? Is it considered more dangerous than lynx when you don't have any firearms for protection?

Is it easy for the casual tourist who likes hiking to encounter a cougar near SLC or Utah in general? Is it considered more dangerous than lynx when you don't have any firearms for protection?

Yes and no.
Salt Lake is a valley, surrounded by beautiful mountains. There are accounts every year of people seeing them while hiking/biking in the surrounding mountains. Most sightings don’t become attacks.
I’ve personally never seen one in the wild, but I’m usually with my kids, who don’t know that “quiet” is an actual thing. I have seen tracks on hikes, within a couple hundred yards of homes. I had a neighbor who moved up on the hill, by a popular hiking/picnic/biking area near here. Within a week, they saw a cougar in their back yard.
I don’t know much about lynx, but I believe a cougar is larger.

Yes and no.
Salt Lake is a valley, surrounded by beautiful mountains. There are accounts every year of people seeing them while hiking/biking in the surrounding mountains. Most sightings don’t become attacks.
I’ve personally never seen one in the wild, but I’m usually with my kids, who don’t know that “quiet” is an actual thing. I have seen tracks on hikes, within a couple hundred yards of homes. I had a neighbor who moved up on the hill, by a popular hiking/picnic/biking area near here. Within a week, they saw a cougar in their back yard.
I don’t know much about lynx, but I believe a cougar is larger.

I've seen two cougar's is 30 years of biking and hiking throughout the West. One in Millcreek Canyon here in SLC and one in Emigration Canyon(up Killian Canyon). But there have been several sighted and documented near my current residence over the last five years. I saw a very good photo of one and it was a monster. I live in Sandy under Lone Peak. And yes a cougar is much bigger than a lynx.