What's new

Cuts

Not too upset. The only way any of them would play anyway would be because of injuries and if that happens we can just sign one of them to a 10-day and take it from there.

If any players go down hurt, we can always do what we did last year, bring up D-leaguers on 10-day contracts.

Yep, even more reason to believe it was a salary issue.

As I recall, even though the Jazz aren't required to keep more than 13 players, if they don't the must pay a player's salary (at the league minimum) to the player's union. So they get nuthin, even though they still pay (of course they save travel expense and per diem, things like that). I don't know if this "salary" they pay to the union counts toward the cap or not.

Dang, they took all the drama out of it for us fans, but made Jerry's job easier by mandating a roster of 13 and cutting all 4 at once. So now Evans is the only non-guaranteed; knew he wasn't goin' anywhere.
Yeah, any opportunity that comes along to save $$$ but doesn't affect our primary guys and we're gonna jump on it, and that's OK. Several minor moves can add up... With all the vets we've added this season, management is definitely being aggressive towards us being successful this year. Everyone we've lost from the roster has been replaced by better players for this season, so I can't gripe at all!!
Great job, Miller Family!!

As I recall, even though the Jazz aren't required to keep more than 13 players, if they don't the must pay a player's salary (at the league minimum) to the player's union. So they get nuthin, even though they still pay (of course they save travel expense and per diem, things like that). I don't know if this "salary" they pay to the union counts toward the cap or not.

Coon's FAQ

67. What roster size limits exist? What is the Inactive List? What is Injured Reserve?
A team must have 12 players on its active roster, although they can drop to 11 for up to two weeks at a time. They must suit up at least eight players for every game. Any remaining players must be on its Inactive List, and are ineligible to play in games. A team must have a minimum of one and a maximum of three players on its Inactive List, although they can drop to zero for up to two weeks at a time, and can temporarily have four with league approval in the event of a hardship. The composition of the Inactive List can change on a game-by-game basis -- no less than 60 minutes prior to tipoff, the team must present to the official scorer a list of the players who will be active for that game. A player can be inactive for as little as one game. While individual teams are only required to carry 13 players (12 active and one inactive), the NBA also guarantees a league-wide average of at least 14 players per team. The league is surcharged if they do not meet this obligation.

I thought if they had been in the penny pinching mode that a Kevin Kruger or Roberto Bergersen would have been brought in to compete vs. Jeffers and Gaines and Watson and Elson wouldn't have been signed. The two guys I mentioned could have signed for the absolute minimum and would have made about $400,000 each less than Gaines and Jeffers and Elson and Watson never would have been signed. They didn't and the rest is history.

Well, Eric, that makes it sound like the Jazz wouldn't have to pay for only having 13 IF enough teams carry 14 to generate and overall 14-per-team as a "league average." Which is better for teams only signing 13, of course. At least it gives them a chance to avoid the "surcharge."

Don't understand picking a mediocre veteran (Watson) over a young talent like Gaines. Must have been a personality conflict.

As far as Elston and guys like that go, I also think the league reimburses part to their salary to the Jazz (enough to reduce their salary burden to the minimum they would pay a 2nd year player). That only applies to 1-year contracts, and would affect guys like Bell. That's my recollection, anyway. Guys like O'Connor have more things to consider than most people realize.

I don't know why this is surprising. A lot of teams around the league only keep 13. Jazz have had a habit of keeping 14, but that was before Utah landed into luxury tax territory. We figured there would be moves made last year, and Jazz had essentially 13 players anyway, because we knew Harpring was not going to play.

Maybe had Evans not been as impressive, the Jazz would have kept another SF like Nichols or Jeffers. Or had Hayward been completely unready to play, then maybe Thompson would have made the roster. Jazz only had a "Matthews" because there were three guys who were hurt last season: Harpring, CJ, and then Korver. This year Memo is the only guy out. So th Jazz have their 12-man active roster right now.

Also don't forget the new D-League rules. Three of the cuts can be assigned to Orem - if they choose to play in the D-League vs. going foreign. And I'm assuming that's what the Jazz will do with Gaines, Jeffers and Thompson. They'll be unprotected, but at least one of them will probably still be around if the Jazz need an extra body due to an injury or trade.

Me, you, and Dupree

Anyone for Ronald Dupree he was cut? :)

I don't know why this is surprising. A lot of teams around the league only keep 13. Jazz have had a habit of keeping 14, but that was before Utah landed into luxury tax territory. We figured there would be moves made last year, and Jazz had essentially 13 players anyway, because we knew Harpring was not going to play.

Maybe had Evans not been as impressive, the Jazz would have kept another SF like Nichols or Jeffers. Or had Hayward been completely unready to play, then maybe Thompson would have made the roster. Jazz only had a "Matthews" because there were three guys who were hurt last season: Harpring, CJ, and then Korver. This year Memo is the only guy out. So th Jazz have their 12-man active roster right now.

Also don't forget the new D-League rules. Three of the cuts can be assigned to Orem - if they choose to play in the D-League vs. going foreign. And I'm assuming that's what the Jazz will do with Gaines, Jeffers and Thompson. They'll be unprotected, but at least one of them will probably still be around if the Jazz need an extra body due to an injury or trade.