What's new

Dante Exum - 2014/2015 NBA Season Highlights

Yo, Orange... you think Exum's gonna be better that Shröder? worse? the same? Tell me, braugh.
He'll be better. Shrodinger has a long way to go on his jump shot compared to Exum.

Also, the extra few inches that Dante has really will help when he gains that added muscle.

btw, I just tried to imagine a three-team trade where we could give up a late-first (like GSW 2017) and absorb a contract, and receive Schröder while helping ATL get a couple of picks and a player they wanted. Don't know how to finish that thought. Toss Trey in there.

Anywhoo, Dennis would be a good guy to push Dante. And they worked pretty well as a backcourt at the Nike Hoops Summit. And Q worked with him his rookie year a lot. Would be cool as ****.

EDIT: I maintain that ATL is open to trading Dennis. Teague is the starter, no doubt about that. If they could get a pick or two (maybe a first and a second) plus a deadly shooting guard, then they don't say No.

Last edited:
He'll be better. Shrodinger has a long way to go on his jump shot compared to Exum.

Also, the extra few inches that Dante has really will help when he gains that added muscle.
I agree

btw, I just tried to imagine a three-team trade where we could give up a late-first (like GSW 2017) and absorb a contract, and receive Schröder while helping ATL get a couple of picks and a player they wanted. Don't know how to finish that thought. Toss Trey in there.

Anywhoo, Dennis would be a good guy to push Dante. And they worked pretty well as a backcourt at the Nike Hoops Summit. And Q worked with him his rookie year a lot. Would be cool as ****.

EDIT: I maintain that ATL is open to trading Dennis. Teague is the starter, no doubt about that. If they could get a pick or two (maybe a first and a second) plus a deadly shooting guard, then they don't say No.

Kinda of sucks though, trade Trey ( who they traded two picks to get) and a pick to bring back a salary dump and a player they could have just drafted in the first place. Sadly it is kind of the Jazz way.

Kinda of sucks though, trade Trey ( who they traded two picks to get) and a pick to bring back a salary dump and a player they could have just drafted in the first place. Sadly it is kind of the Jazz way.

It is bad value, but you gotta get good players. We're already gambling with getting value for Trey, though, who has plummeted. This year he either regains some of that value or basically loses all value. I'd understand if Lindsey cashed out now.

Never make decisions based on sunk costs... its a bad way to work.

I don't think I'd want shroeder... and I think they'd want to use him to get a more established player. I think they will lose either Millsap or DMC this offseason and will need a replacement.

I think ATL has a good chance of keeping Millsap and Carroll. If ATL pays, I think they will stay.

And that's actually why I think Schröder can be acquired: If they can get pieces that fit a little better, then maybe ATL can take the next step. Dennis is a good asset to use in that sense.

I understand not being totally into Dennis. He's got a long way to go. But he can help our pace significantly (which ABSOLUTELY MUST get faster) and help us take another step defensively. That's enough for me to be very interested.

I think ATL has a good chance of keeping Millsap and Carroll. If ATL pays, I think they will stay.

And that's actually why I think Schröder can be acquired: If they can get pieces that fit a little better, then maybe ATL can take the next step. Dennis is a good asset to use in that sense.

I understand not being totally into Dennis. He's got a long way to go. But he can help our pace significantly (which ABSOLUTELY MUST get faster) and help us take another step defensively. That's enough for me to be very interested.

I think he's a good prospect. I would rather have a more steady vet though as we bring Dante along... Shroeder is just a bit raw still. He has gotten much better year over year though. A lesser Hawks player that is likely available is Mike Scott... Might be a decent addition as our stretch big. I would be interested if we drafted a wing.

I think he's a good prospect. I would rather have a more steady vet though as we bring Dante along... Shroeder is just a bit raw still. He has gotten much better year over year though. A lesser Hawks player that is likely available is Mike Scott... Might be a decent addition as our stretch big. I would be interested if we drafted a wing.

Just checked out Mike Scott's RPM for the last two years... Never mind... I'll pass.

I like the idea of Mike Scott too!
Just checked out Mike Scott's RPM for the last two years... Never mind... I'll pass.
Um, not anymore.

Quick question... Mudiay for Exum straight up right now... Yes or no?

I like the idea of Mike Scott too!

Um, not anymore.

It turns out his teams are really bad with him on the floor... It was Kanteresque. It's sad cuz he has some cool tattoos.

Quick question... Mudiay for Exum straight up right now... Yes or no?

Nope.

I'm still really, really high on Exum and agree with Lindsey's comments - he has all the tools, including the intelligence, work ethic, and selflessness; he just needs to get stronger. We laud Gobert for the impact he had after the All Star break, but frankly the team's turn around started weeks before when Exum was swapped into the starting line-up. It means something that even when he wasn't playing well individually, he helped the team to win.

Dante has three weaknesses currently:

1. A lack of ball-handling ability, particularly with his left hand.
2. A lack of strength and conditioning.
3. A lack of finishing/mid-range.

And what people call his lack of aggressiveness isn't actually that - it's the culmination of the above three factors combined with Dante wanting the team to win. Lucky for him, the Jazz, and us, those three factors are entirely teachable and solvable. Everything that can't be taught, Dante already has in spades. (Side note: the biggest knocks on Jordan, at 20 years of age, was ball-handling ability with his left hand and his shooting - both were solved. Not saying Dante is the next Jordan, but even the GOAT had concrete skills that held him back early on in his career.)

I've been saying for the past year that PGs tend to make a minor jump between years one and two and then a major jump between years two and three. As long as we see minor to moderate progress next year with him, we're in a very good position. At this point, I think Dante's floor is Hayward with better defense. But I'd easily drop down a bet that he'll be a multiple All Star.

Whether he becomes a superstar or not, I'm unsure of, but the potential is very much there and this year didn't do much to reject that possibility.

Adding: Coach Thorpe at ESPN who I really think is a smart dude when it comes to thinking about player development, still thinks Dante will be the best point guard of the 2014-2015 class and has him as a lock for multiple All Star appearances as well.

I know almost nothing about Mudiay, so my opinion doesn't matter. That said.... Exum showed me enough last year. He's way further along with his 3-point shot and defense than I would have guessed. And, he obviously sees the court really well. I can be patient with the other stuff while I take these things to the bank.

So, the answer is NO

Never make decisions based on sunk costs... its a bad way to work.

^^^Best advice of the day.

But if your business is impacted by public perception, you'd better be aware of the blow back. Your organization must be strong enough to withstand the scrutiny, and you must have a believable spin on the story to soften the blow.