What's new

Dante Exum Article on Hoopshype

Qman

https://hoopshype.com/columns/david-nurse/whats-wrong-with-dante-exums-game

It might be hard to pass on Exum if he is available. The article also describes the weaknesses in his shooting stroke.

His ability to get out in transition and speed with the ball in his hands is top 10 in the NBA right now. There are a lot of players with great speed, but Exum’s ability to cultivate that speed with the ball in his hands is what makes him so dynamic in the open floor. If his world-class speed wasn’t enough, Exum is able to shift gears and change speeds very effectively making him an extremely tough player to defend in transition.

The toughest players to defend aren’t always the quickest and most athletic players, it is the players who are able to constantly change speeds and always put pressure on the defense. This is where Exum’s personal analysis of himself really does draw comparisons to Manu Ginobli; shifty and unassuming.

A great skill set ability that more NBA players need to realize the importance of – deceptiveness. Exum has harnessed this skill set at young age and with his high level ball control and natural feel for the game, he is able to utilize this craft to create for his teammates. Hence, why I have labeled him as neither a point guard or a two-guard, but instead simply as a playmaker.

All of these weapons in Exum’s arsenal are great and extremely tantalizing to an NBA franchise. And I haven’t even mentioned his explosive first step, rebounding range for a guard, and ability to draw fouls at the rim.

But the single most telling factor of why I am convinced that a player this skilled but still less seen to the public than a UFO sighting in a cornfield will be highly successful at the next level is his basketball IQ and maturity. Maturity and 18-year-old kid are not often seen in the same sentence or anywhere close for that matter. But that is not the case for Exum. He is mature beyond his years and has a basketball IQ and natural feel for the game that makes it appear like he was born to play basketball. Well, I guess he was.

Thank his father Cecil Exum for that. A teammate of Michael Jordan on the 1982 North Carolina national championship team and a stint in the NBA followed by a long career in Australia, basketball is literally in Exum’s blood. His ability to see the next play before it happens and pick and choose the correct situations throughout the flow of a game when to look to score and when to look to create is the Basketball IQ savviness that that Exum possesses.

Reactions: ema
https://hoopshype.com/columns/david-nurse/whats-wrong-with-dante-exums-game

It might be hard to pass on Exum if he is available. The article also describes the weaknesses in his shooting stroke.

In the few clips I've seen of him, and just to nit pick... his shot needs more arch. It's way too flat and gives it almost no chance to go in consistently.
Also it seemed that he didn't have trouble getting to the rim, but had trouble finishing around the rim for some reason.

I'm sure both of those are correctable, but it's not a sure thing.
I like enough about his game that those two things would make it so I wouldn't want him on the Jazz, but give me enough to think about that I would want to dig deeper into his character to see how willing he is to work on it and see how teachable he is. It sounds like he is, but what do I know.

Top notch writing. Literally, huh?

It's a lot like the midichlorians from Star Wars. Tiny little basketballs that endow one so possessed with unfathomomamable basketball ability.

lol, what is this dude smoking? Top 10 NBA speed??? Explosive first step? WTF is wrong with people.

The entire article is just horribly written. I'm a little embarrassed for that guy.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2
Horribly written, but the author is a shooting coach. Whether you agree with him or not, at least he seems - on the surface - to have a bit more knowledge than a lot of contributors.

Exum's first step is unreal, on par with Tyreke Evans, meaning one of the best you will ever see from a 6'6 player

describing his first step id consider using terms like "god given ability" and "force of nature", id also say Exum knows how to set up defenders for the blow by, he can in-and-out dribble to set up the cross, you also see him using multiple hesitation moves to leave defenders in the dust. Id also say for a righty, his first step to his left also looks electric

id say a great deal of Exum's appeal revolves around that first step.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61VxehrN7-s

(the still frame on this video really shows how long Dante's legs are, which I'm sure contributes to the effectiveness of the 1st step)

I wouldn't be upset about Exum. He is actually probably the most exciting player we could get (in a way, even more than Parker or Wiggins), just because there are a lot of questions around him.

Would be sweet to draft him, then package Burks and the 23rd pick for a legit SF.

For what it's worth the Boise State coach thought he might have had a shot at Exum as he currently has two Australians on his roster that played for the Australian Institute of Sport like Exum and he came away really impressed but was told he would not be in the running if Exum wanted to go to college.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSadteflk9Y

I think this was the one where I saw some of his crossover moves. I know it's not against NBA defenses, but I was still impressed.

Tell us what you saw when you watched Exum play in person.

Trust me I do not have anything against him, looks like good kid, plays hard, comes from great family. But whenever there are some international prospects which may end up with Jazz I try to look at as much tape or games as possible to see if they are worth the risk taking. And when I watch **** video's I just don't see anything exciting worthy top 5 pick. To me he is just ...average, I guess. There is nothing special about him except length for position. Yes he can pass and he can score vs inferior players. He failed to do that vs M.Smart , A. Gordon and team USA in U-19. He played poorly in semifinal and bronze medal game in U-19 championship as well. That should be red flag right there. He is a prospect with huge risk. I would be ok with him with 23d pick, not with 5th.
And I think Burke will be better PG, so why bother at the end ?

Exum's first step is unreal, on par with Tyreke Evans, meaning one of the best you will ever see from a 6'6 player

describing his first step id consider using terms like "god given ability" and "force of nature", id also say Exum knows how to set up defenders for the blow by, he can in-and-out dribble to set up the cross, you also see him using multiple hesitation moves to leave defenders in the dust. Id also say for a righty, his first step to his left also looks electric

id say a great deal of Exum's appeal revolves around that first step.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61VxehrN7-s

(the still frame on this video really shows how long Dante's legs are, which I'm sure contributes to the effectiveness of the 1st step)

Again, what's so fascinating about this play? Looks good vs slow, short defender with miniscule wingspan - take it to the equation and it becomes average. Where was it when he played USA?

[size/HUGE] fixed [/size];834080 said:
you can still appreciate his speed, braugh. Speed.

#speed

Nothing special about it. Average speed. Compare to Westbrook, Parker, D.Rose, LBJ, J.Wall... now we are talking speed.