What's new

Dante Exum vs. the NBA

Doublea

I decided to put some information together about Dante Exum and his potential speed in the NBA. I found some different clips of Rose, Wall, and Westbrook to compare Exum. Tell me what you think of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJaK2988NGw&feature=youtu.be

From the video you can see that Exum does indeed look fast, with a great first step, but it seems like these other players are a little bit more athletic. They can explode into the air and change how they finish at the basket. Exum doesn't seem to have that ability, though it does seem like his length will make up for that.

comp.jpg

These are the different combine results for each of these players. Exum is at the top on height and length, he has great physical tools. He's got big hands and an impressive reach. His vertical leaps aren't the greatest. It's interesting that MCW had such a heigh vertical, he doesn't use that in game like Rose does. Exum has the 2nd fastest agility time, which should allow him to defend quite well. His sprint is 2nd to last, even though he seems like a fast runner. I also find it quite interesting that those times are very similar to MCW's.

I feel like physical Exum compares to MCW and then has an edge on him. We've seen that MCW can be successful and a stat stuffer, which leads me to believe that Exum can do even better.

I also found this article to be an awesome read on how Exum has been preparing to go to the NBA.

https://www.slcdunk.com/nba-draft/2014/6/29/5851996/nba-draft-2014-dante-exum-from-down-under

It makes me feel a little better about his mystery.

Do you guys think this is a viable comparison? At least to look at speed? Does having different defenders make you look faster?

Do you guys think this is a viable comparison? At least to look at speed? Does having different defenders make you look faster?
They are the same moves at the same speed. Only problem I see is you don't know if that is as fast as they can go or the speed that made the play work. It's interesting to say the least. Good job.

Wall and Westbrook are at least more reasonable than Jordan and Kobe. I could see him hitting that level eventually and would be super stoked if he did. I'd be happy with just an upgrade from Burke, tbh. I'd really like to see him develop as a pg because you lose a lot of the mismatch advantage you can get out of him if you move him to the 2.

I actually think John Wall is the best comparison for him and I'd be pretty happy with getting a John Wall at #5.

Thanks for this. Someone saw this and mentioned that once his core strength improves his finishes will get better. I think that makes sense.

First and foremost great work just putting that together. However I do think that the guys you play against matter and his inability to be explosive at the rim leave him out of any of the guys in the video.

IMO in order for Exum to be special he'll need to greatly improve his handles(@19 that isn't far fetched at all) and develop a great jumper.

great job. we will know about exum's speed on an actual nba game. but exum definitely looks fast and indeed an nba level athlete. if he wants to be successful having a great first step is the key. honestly, i don't buy into combine agility/sprint numbers too much. some dudes just have the game speed. d rose for ex. i just have hard time believing d rose being so damn slow in agility drills. maybe he just never trained for it or just didn't know how to stay low.

I heard a comparison the other day (on this board? maybe?) liking Dante to a taller Tony Parker.

I actually really liked that comparison. Parker is a below the rim guy and Dante reportedly isn't super vertically explosive. But if he's quick as all hell (like TP) and gets to the rack like TP does, then he will be just fine.

Great job on the video, very impressive.

Did anyone see the espn segment where they were talking about Exum and they were comparing him to Penny Hardaway. I think this is a bit of a stretch because Penny was such an elite player, but can't help but to get excited about what might be.

the next comparison would be passing ability compared to those 3?

sorry for the comment on the rep. meant to say "well done" but entered instead of back spaced.

We have to remember he is just out of high school. Hopefully he gets quicker! Also Locke tweeted the other day he heard Exum will be the fastest guy over 6'4" on day one. Goes right along with the stats from op. (Forgive the repost)

If he has an elite work ethic, he WILL be an elite player because he has the tools.

I heard a comparison the other day (on this board? maybe?) liking Dante to a taller Tony Parker.

I actually really liked that comparison. Parker is a below the rim guy and Dante reportedly isn't super vertically explosive. But if he's quick as all hell (like TP) and gets to the rack like TP does, then he will be just fine.

Ya it is this board. Been saying this since he got drafted. Everything they do is exactly the same in my book.

Except going to the rim Exum has a much greater advantage with his length. When he does those sweeping floaters in combination with his speed.........Wow its exciting if he can master that move that he has shown in the youtube highlights.
I think Exum will probably struggle in the beginning thinking he can jump over people and eventually learn he needs to play low like Parker does then quickly release for those floaters. The way Nash, Parker, Stockton all did.
They all know knew they couldn't jump higher to shoot over people. They knew if they jumped off the wrong foot or floated the ball up before even jumping. Rather then at the top of the jump. Something I wish Trey would learn.
Hopefully they both learn to stop trying to shoot at the top of your floater or lay up. Its easy to time those shots for blocks. Its near impossible to block shots when you can float it up right away. As Parker has proved for years.

It'll be interesting, I've seen a few pretty athletic moves by him on some of the highlights. I'm gunna see if I can find any passing highlights.

We have to remember he is just out of high school. Hopefully he gets quicker! Also Locke tweeted the other day he heard Exum will be the fastest guy over 6'4" on day one. Goes right along with the stats from op. (Forgive the repost)

If he has an elite work ethic, he WILL be an elite player because he has the tools.

these guys posted better agility numbers.

tony snell 6ft 6 barefoot. 10.36 agility. 3.25 3/4 sprint
mcw 6ft 4 3/4 10.68 agility 3.22 3/4 sprint

but i don't think they have better game speed than exum.

these guys posted better agility numbers.

tony snell 6ft 6 barefoot. 10.36 agility. 3.25 3/4 sprint
mcw 6ft 4 3/4 10.68 agility 3.22 3/4 sprint

but i don't think they have better game speed than exum.

Would the agility tests show a potentially better defender? It's testing lateral quickness and change of direction right?

I also feel like Exum could be better prepared for the NBA than other prospects.

1. He's been training (sounds like everyday) with an NBA trainer, in the gym, probably eating right, for the last 6 months.
2. He's been in a professional basketball setting since he was 15, pretty much basketball 24/7. So it's not even really high school.
3. He's been on a 24 second shot clock, farther 3 point line, etc.
4. He sounds like he's mentally ready and has an expectation of what's to happen.