What's new

Dante Exum vs. the NBA

Would the agility tests show a potentially better defender? It's testing lateral quickness and change of direction right?

i don't know if there is a direct correlation. tony allen put up great number, but so did raymond felton. james harden at 222lb put up 11.1 - better than most of guys his size.

is corey joseph a great defender? honestly i don't know. didn't watch him enough. he put up 8.57. that's nearly 3 sec faster than d rose. he makes exum look like a slow porker. ;) i honestly don't know how is this even possible. basically it's like joseph is running 4.3 while rest of guys are running 4.9-5s 40.

For some reason a Leandro Barbosa comparison pops into my head when I watch some of the limited tape for Exum. Hopefully the length and better bball iq/playmaking abilities allow him to be a much better player. Does anyone else see this at all?

i don't know if there is a direct correlation. tony allen put up great number, but so did raymond felton. james harden at 222lb put up 11.1 - better than most of guys his size.

is corey joseph a great defender? honestly i don't know. didn't watch him enough. he put up 8.57. that's nearly 3 sec faster than d rose. he makes exum look like a slow porker. ;) i honestly don't know how is this even possible. basically it's like joseph is running 4.3 while rest of guys are running 4.9-5s 40.

That's why I say ignore those numbers completely. I don't know if there is a measured drill that seems to be more worthless than the NBA agility drills followed closely by the 3/4 sprint. The result have shown to be wildly inaccurate (at best) reflection of what is seen on the court.

For some reason a Leandro Barbosa comparison pops into my head when I watch some of the limited tape for Exum. Hopefully the length and better bball iq/playmaking abilities allow him to be a much better player. Does anyone else see this at all?

Yeah I think a taller Barbosa is probably a much better comparison to Exum than Jordan. Like Barbosa Exum isn't explosive around the basket and doesn't have tight handles to match his speed and quickness levels.

I decided to put some information together about Dante Exum and his potential speed in the NBA. I found some different clips of Rose, Wall, and Westbrook to compare Exum. Tell me what you think of it.

Interesting stuff, well done finding very similar plays. How old were Rose, Wall, and Westbrook in the clips that you used?

That's why I say ignore those numbers completely. I don't know if there is a measured drill that seems to be more worthless than the NBA agility drills followed closely by the 3/4 sprint. The result have shown to be wildly inaccurate (at best) reflection of what is seen on the court.

yup.

i also think nba prospects don't practice these drills religiously. in NFL they do cone drills 40 dash in their sleep. they know how to run it properly. you gotta duck your head use your arms and get low as possible early. there are proper techniques to do these drills.

d rose with his awful time probably means that d rose just didn't know how to do the drill and didn't practice enough. is it an optical illusion that d rose is indeed fast? not sure, but i don't think it's an illusion. IMO, d rose is a A+ athlete.

People need to remember that Wall, Westbrook and Parker were not great shooters when they came in the league. I still think Wall is not that good. I think Exum is ahead of all three shooting (going by video). I think give Exum a year or two and let him grow into his body and he will be amazing. I have been this excited since the Jazz drafted Malone.

Jerry Rice was reported to have run a 4.6 40 yard dash but if you are familiar with his career no one could catch Jerry but maybe Darrell Green on the Redskins. Once he got the ball he was a 4.3 guy.

In terms of a tall PG with great speed and quickness, but who isn't a great jumper/explosive at the rim, I like Barbosa and taller TP comparisons, but also a young JKidd.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

Magic Johnson comp

Interesting big point guard comparison: Magic Johnson.

Exum has better speed, quickness, vertical, better outside shot, better first step, about the same height.

The big unknown: basketball IQ, passing ability, teamwork, drive and leadership. These are the real questions in my mind.

Are you using the same frame rate in these comparisons?

Other guys to look at: Tony Parker and Leandro Barbosa

Interesting stuff, well done finding very similar plays. How old were Rose, Wall, and Westbrook in the clips that you used?

Around the 2011/2012 season. I probably should have found some college basketball when they were about the same age.

Are you using the same frame rate in these comparisons?

Other guys to look at: Tony Parker and Leandro Barbosa

I'm not exactly sure, it's probably a good idea to though. These are just some of the highlights I could find of the players. Can you convert video to lower frame rates? It should be pretty similar though.

I think you dont need stats or analysis to see Dante is fast. It is like his biggest strength. And that is a huge threat in nba if he can use it correctly. I am concerned about other stuff like his physical toughness, ability to defend, clutch ability... We dont know anything about these traits

Interesting big point guard comparison: Magic Johnson.

Exum has better speed, quickness, vertical, better outside shot, better first step, about the same height.

The big unknown: basketball IQ, passing ability, teamwork, drive and leadership. These are the real questions in my mind.

Umm, no.
Magic Johnson was 6'8" or 6'9 (depending on what site you use). He once played center in a playoff game. Apologies to Stockton, but Magic was the greatest PG to play the game (pure "point", scoring point, blah, blah, blah). Magic had the ability to create shots and put the team on his back. Stockton couldn't do that. As much as I absolutely LOATHE the Lakers and Magic as a person, I can appreciate the incredible talent Johnson was as a player. It was a joy to watch the Johnson/Bird battles. BTW, Magic averaged 19/11 for his career, which was much shorter than Stockton's. His assists averages actually stayed high while John's declined significantly. Had they played the same number of seasons, it would have been interesting to see who finished with the most assists. Magic was also a tremendous rebounder (7 per game). Stockton had an advantage in steals per game (2.2 vs. 1.9).

Magic

Umm, no.
Magic Johnson was 6'8" or 6'9 (depending on what site you use). He once played center in a playoff game. Apologies to Stockton, but Magic was the greatest PG to play the game (pure "point", scoring point, blah, blah, blah). Magic had the ability to create shots and put the team on his back. Stockton couldn't do that. As much as I absolutely LOATHE the Lakers and Magic as a person, I can appreciate the incredible talent Johnson was as a player. It was a joy to watch the Johnson/Bird battles. BTW, Magic averaged 19/11 for his career, which was much shorter than Stockton's. His assists averages actually stayed high while John's declined significantly. Had they played the same number of seasons, it would have been interesting to see who finished with the most assists. Magic was also a tremendous rebounder (7 per game). Stockton had an advantage in steals per game (2.2 vs. 1.9).

Magic is taller, about 6 8 in shoes versus exum at 6 6 (see link below about magics inflated height stats uncovered in Barcelona). Exum has awesome wingspan and standing reach which closes this gap.

Seem that you agree with my main point about magic's amazing bball iq, despite you condescending "ummmmm" followed by height nitpick. No?

https://www.nytimes.com/1992/07/27/sports/barcelona-basketball-dream-team-reaching-new-heights.html