What's new

Dante injury - does this accelerate our timeline?

bjwsan

Hey, I was drinking the 'slow brewed' kool-aid... patient development, don't skip steps, build a young core together, no need to find a free agent PG and mess up the mix. While our weakest spot was clearly PG, we had a thoroughbred in stable (yea, twisted pun intended) and with a year or two... this would be contention time! A decent free agent PG now would just slow that timeline and take minutes away from Dante, slowing his development.

Now what?

Rudy is developing faster than expected, Gordon is a stud - NOW (daughter & bball), Favors is hitting near All-Star averages, Hood is a very nice surprise, and Burks is back! Can we afford a one year hiatus for this group?

I didn't care whether we 'made' the playoffs... it was about 2 to 3 years down the road and CONTENTION, with a capital 'F' as in F'n Finals. Adding a 'one year' piece to make the playoffs, wasn't worth the distraction.

Now I'm very distracted, the kool-aid is souring, and I'm worried that we can't wait a year, to then wait another year, to figure out if Dante is the horse that can bring us home... and don't even talk to me about Burke or Netto... average or decent 2nd or 3rd string PGs aren't going to cut it...

So... do we bite the bullet and find another horse NOW?

You can't bake any cakes with all the ingredients. It's time for jazz to speed up this.

If you do that for him he will never learn proper English colton. He has to figure it out for himself. Its obvious your rite though.

Impossible to tell.

If Dante comes back stronger like Jamal Crawford, then keep baking the cake.

If Dante comes back weaker like Penny Hardaway, then swap out the pgs.

So obviously they should package Gobert and Favors for Chris Paul. Atone for drafting D-Will ahead of him in 2005.

...and don't even talk to me about Burke or Netto... average or decent 2nd or 3rd string PGs aren't going to cut it...

So... just listened to Locke TIP OFF (yea, after starting the thread... duh) and of course, he finishes with:

"Trey has got to... uh... jump... on this opportunity, grasp it and be terrific. This is, from Trey Burke standpoint... quite simply, this is... this is a chance to revitalize your career, put in your work, make your natural year 2 to year 3 jump, and be that player."

Love Locke, but even if Trey 'makes that jump', he will not be an elite NBA PG... we were just debating whether he could be a decent back-up PG... he's paid to drink the 'kool-aid'...

Now... it may be that there are no easy solutions... but me things we have a unique group, and we can't wait 2 years to see if it might gel... The 'Backcourt' article pointed out our strength... which we built through the draft and 'budget' acquisitions... now we need to bite the bullet and BUY a PG

So... just listened to Locke TIP OFF (yea, after starting the thread... duh) and of course, he finishes with:

"Trey has got to... uh... jump... on this opportunity, grasp it and be terrific. This is, from Trey Burke standpoint... quite simply, this is... this is a chance to revitalize your career, put in your work, make your natural year 2 to year 3 jump, and be that player."

Love Locke, but even if Trey 'makes that jump', he will not be an elite NBA PG... we were just debating whether he could be a decent back-up PG... he's paid to drink the 'kool-aid'...

Now... it may be that there are no easy solutions... but me things we have a unique group, and we can't wait 2 years to see if it might gel... The 'Backcourt' article pointed out our strength... which we built through the draft and 'budget' acquisitions... now we need to bite the bullet and BUY a PG

I really think with our squad we don't need elite, we need serviceable, decent, a little above average. And therein lies the rub. Dante was poised to be just that, maybe a little above average this year. His D should have improved along with the rest of his game so he would be a solidly above average defender, and probably below average on offense for a PG, net positive with the possibility of being better than above average. But Burke is solidly below average in both areas. Even a standard year 2 to 3 jump is a net negative still. Ugh.

Impossible to tell. If Dante comes back stronger like Jamal Crawford, then keep baking the cake.

Great... in 2 years we could use Dante as a TOP 6th man... but this is likely a 18mo+ hit... can't wait.

So obviously they should package Gobert and Favors for Chris Paul. Atone for drafting D-Will ahead of him in 2005.

Don't need a Chris Paul type PG... just an 'avg starting' PG who is not ranked at the very bottom... And trading the core is tossing the cake...

Time is also an ingredient. I think this season sets the timer. There are still too many unknowns. While I wouldn't be adverse to picking up a starting, veteran PG, there is still a lot to asses.

1. Who is Burks post surgery?
2. Is Hood really good, or was his end of season play a fluke?
3. Have Hayward and Favs hit their ceiling?
4. Can Gobert bring it for a whole season?
5. Has Trey plateaued?
6. Who is Lyles?
7. Can Exum get it together over the course of the season.

Obviously, 7 won't be answered. But the rest will. I think if 3 or 4 of these are answered positively by ASB it's time to go. But it's going to take assets, so let's make sure we move the right ones. It's going to take Burks/Hood/Trey to some degree to bring back the player we need, IMO. I don't think we're ready to make that call. Or are we?

Time is also an ingredient. I think this season sets the timer. There are still too many unknowns. While I wouldn't be adverse to picking up a starting, veteran PG, there is still a lot to asses.

1. Who is Burks post surgery?
2. Is Hood really good, or was his end of season play a fluke?
3. Have Hayward and Favs hit their ceiling?
4. Can Gobert bring it for a whole season?
5. Has Trey plateaued?
6. Who is Lyles?
7. Can Exum get it together over the course of the season.

Obviously, 7 won't be answered. But the rest will. I think if 3 or 4 of these are answered positively by ASB it's time to go. But it's going to take assets, so let's make sure we move the right ones. It's going to take Burks/Hood/Trey to some degree to bring back the player we need, IMO. I don't think we're ready to make that call. Or are we?

If Hood is really good then why trade him? I still think Hood is going to surprise many here. I do not want to trade him. Like you said there are simply to many variables right now.

I never felt like dante would be an all star even if he didn't get hurt (I thought he would be an ok starter) so I'm hoping (i was hoping they would do this before dante injury) that we use some of these draft picks to get a guy like George hill, jrue holiday, or Patrick Beverly.

If Hood is really good then why trade him? I still think Hood is going to surprise many here. I do not want to trade him. Like you said there are simply to many variables right now.

If hood is good then maybe we move Burks. If both are good maybe we continue baking. Lots of options.

If hood is good then maybe we move Burks. If both are good maybe we continue baking. Lots of options.

Careful! You're gonna overbake the damn cake and make it all dry and crumbly!!

Interesting comment from Locke yesterday... in that we have Burks locked up until 2019... yea... $11M, but the value of the deal wasn't when it was made, but that it will become increasingly 'cheap'...?

Dante will bounce back. ACL injuries for 19 year olds who don't rely on explosiveness aren't the end of the world. But I think this is an opportunity to pool our assets and get a quality starter PG, instead of hoping that Exum or someone else will develop into one. We don't need an all star to compete, just a good PG like Shroeder will do.

We don't need an all star to compete, just a good PG like Shroeder will do.

+1 Agreed, though Schröder not bad stats for minutes played. Two Germans on the Jazz? Sure... why not. Saw him mentioned on other thread last night when Dante 1st hurt... Any specific reason why? I don't know his game at all. Not many highlights, other than a steal... though someone said Hawks like him and not giving him up...