What's new

David Locke - Utah Jazz are NOT tanking

Give up on the tank. Its ded. I hope next game we see Lauri, sexton, and clarkson out there and we get into the playoffs while simultaneously knocking Minnesota out of the playoffs.
Once we are in the playoffs there really isn't a team in the west that is particularly scary. Other than a healthy suns team i guess and even they might need some time to gell. Maybe this rag tag bunch of try hards does something historic in the playoffs.

One of the most valuable things from this season is discovering who are keepers and what their value is from this roster going forward. That's worth winning some games but not winning enough. We could have easily tanked harder and we could have easily added some more talent to win more. Both of those have value and could have been a decent choice. But there is also value in this option that helps us build better going forward. We still have a million picks to get stars with. We likely still get one lottery pick and 2 other 1st picks this year to do something with.
Not to mention if there is a star out there to get, Ochai is now a legit piece in a trade.

Gotta remember the Blazers went ubertank last season after AS break and ended up being **** this year again despite Dame playing the best season of his career. Its not guaranteed that you can just flip the switch because you want to.
We are in a lot better situation than Portland and I'm sure DA has a lot to do with it. What we have done with Kessler and ochai makes me look forward to our future picks. These guys are playing like they're top 10 imagine if we got a top 5 or higher. We are going to win a lot of games next year and lauri could be running for MVP. A little chess move from DA and we could win it all.

It's ok to dream no?

We are in a lot better situation than Portland and I'm sure DA has a lot to do with it. What we have done with Kessler and ochai makes me look forward to our future picks. These guys are playing like they're top 10 imagine if we got a top 5 or higher. We are going to win a lot of games next year and lauri could be running for MVP. A little chess move from DA and we could win it all.

It's ok to dream no?
Yeah I also hope we get a good draft pick. Even better if it comes from Minny... but picking at 11-16 range can still help us find guys who Hardy can turn into gold. Would be better to get something like 7-10 range of course but I'm not hating these wins.

Also lets keep in mind that if we get to the playoffs and especially if we upset some top seeded team... the value of some of our guys is gonna skyrocket and we will be a much more appealing FA destination than if we are 12th in the West.

Yeah I also hope we get a good draft pick. Even better if it comes from Minny... but picking at 11-16 range can still help us find guys who Hardy can turn into gold. Would be better to get something like 7-10 range of course but I'm not hating these wins.

Also lets keep in mind that if we get to the playoffs and especially if we upset some top seeded team... the value of some of our guys is gonna skyrocket and we will be a much more appealing FA destination than if we are 12th in the West.
We will be a free agent destination because we'll have money. I don't think Utah will ever be truly appealing to most NBA free agents.

We will be a free agent destination because we'll have money. I don't think Utah will ever be truly appealing to most NBA free agents.
Not as a tourist site... and its true that money is the biggest thing in FA. But some players want to win and use that as one criteria to choose their next team from all applicants. Those are the guys I want, over the Mr. Krabs type FAs.

Not as a tourist site... and its true that money is the biggest thing in FA. But some players want to win and use that as one criteria to choose their next team from all applicants. Those are the guys I want, over the Mr. Krabs type FAs.
The Jazz have had really good teams in the past and have never really attracted free agents.

Mr Krabs type FAs lol.

If we make the playoffs the value of some our guys is not going to skyrocket and we will not be much more appealing as a free agent destination. It just doesn't work like that. A free agent will come here because of the money and the fit that management sells them. Also a lot of the time making the playoffs can have a detrimental impact on a young team because it gives management a false sense of urgency and they make shortsighted moves. We are benefiting from one right now with the wolves.

True, but I think the current players we got may be more appealing to play with than some of the other iterations.

No ballhogs, no divas, great locker room spirit and we play freaking beautiful ball.
I think one appealing thing right now is we do not have a ball-dominant star, and mostly we have always had one of those. Unless it is for a prestige franchise, most star-level players who are ready to move want to go somewhere they can be the #1. No one wanted to come and be the 3rd wheel with Gobert and Mitchell, which is why we ended up with Conley basically. But with our current iteration we have the best mix possible of solid role players and budding stars without anyone being particularly ball-dominant into which a star player wanting to make a name would fit in very nicely. I could see a Jalen Brown-type player being very interested in coming here to be the #1, with the ball in his hands a lot more, and Lauri as Robin to his Batman.

True, but I think the current players we got may be more appealing to play with than some of the other iterations.

No ballhogs, no divas, great locker room spirit and we play freaking beautiful ball.

Those positives can flip in a second once expectations become involved. Remember when Donovan wasn't a diva and then the flip switched and his ego became massive.

I think one appealing thing right now is we do not have a ball-dominant star, and mostly we have always had one of those. Unless it is for a prestige franchise, most star-level players who are ready to move want to go somewhere they can be the #1. No one wanted to come and be the 3rd wheel with Gobert and Mitchell, which is why we ended up with Conley basically. But with our current iteration we have the best mix possible of solid role players and budding stars without anyone being particularly ball-dominant into which a star player wanting to make a name would fit in very nicely. I could see a Jalen Brown-type player being very interested in coming here to be the #1, with the ball in his hands a lot more, and Lauri as Robin to his Batman.
Exactly my thoughts. We can sell a very legit chance to #1 spot to anyone at this point... and Lauri can still thrive and put up 30 PPG next to anyone basically.

If we make the playoffs the value of some our guys is not going to skyrocket and we will not be much more appealing as a free agent destination. It just doesn't work like that. A free agent will come here because of the money and the fit that management sells them. Also a lot of the time making the playoffs can have a detrimental impact on a young team because it gives management a false sense of urgency and they make shortsighted moves. We are benefiting from one right now with the wolves.
Those positives can flip in a second once expectations become involved. Remember when Donovan wasn't a diva and then the flip switched and his ego became massive.
You can choose to take the most negative stance on everything all you want. But I dont see why you are trying to start a discussion with the glass half-full guy.... these things dont end well.

Reminds me of Deron who tried to recruit his Olympics teammates and nobody came.
I do wonder though if we had the cap space to sign a star at that time though. Since by the time D will was an olympic caliber player we were paying huge money to AK, Memo, D will, and Boozer. Im thinking we couldn't have paid his olympics teammates and that might be a reason why they didn't come.

Locke after taking Lottery spins at Tankaton to end his podcasts for the past 2 weeks...

Today: We were NEVER tanking

Okay... lol ...