What's new

Game Thread Dec 03, 2022 07:00PM MT: Jazz vs. Trail Blazers

Added to Calendar: 12-03-22

There's no doubt or any question were those 2 weak plays for Lauri foolish or not because they were foolish.
Funny how differently we can see and watch the game and comment them.

But still Lauri had once again 20+ point ( 21PTS ) game and that's OK.
Lauri just need to keep that scoring pace and then we'll see is it enough for allstar game.
Jazz defence was horrific in 1st half that's not secret because everyone saw how clueless Jazz were in defence.

Now Jazz should get Conley back
because these nights when ball is not moving enough ( Seton 0 assists and Clarkson 3 ) Conley's playmaking is more than needed.

I'm not talking only Lauri's scoring i'm talking whole Jazz scoring as a team.
But if the goal is now more to tank for Wemby or Scoot Henderson then Jazz can keep Conley out so long as they need and want to,

I agree. I won't run to bring Mike in. WEst is crasy ths year and despite beeing not too bad, we cab easily ended bottom 3 or 4 at West conf, bottom 6 or 7. AMd if we are lucky and get Victor or another good player, then just add another great player and the quick rebuild is done.

Just watch the replay and coach was not at his best. This combined to a poor shooting. I say it several time but if JC shoot 25 shoot every night we are a 40% winning team. He got some hot night but can't carry the team alone. Lauri should be the main offensive guy.

Terrible game. Officiating seems to get worse every game. They ride Lauri out of bounds with no call, but Clarkson swipes at the ball and makes no contact but he gets called for a foul. Clarkson got hit at least 3 times on 3 pointers, and nothing. I mean it's always been suspect but I really think in the last few years with the changes they've made to how they call the games they have made it substantially worse.

This is the problem when you don't have an all-star in your lineup. Calls won't favor us. We need to build up lauri real quick

Easily 3 times from 3 he gets hit either full on in the body or directly across the forearm, with no calls. He gets tackled under the basket in a very dangerous play, no call. It's almost like they had been instructed to not call anyone for Clarkson tonight. Missing a couple sure, but some of those they had to have actively ignored it to miss it. Some of the worst officiating of the season.

This is the problem when you don't have an all-star in your lineup. Calls won't favor us. We need to build up lauri real quick
Which is ridiculous at this level that your reputation determines what you can or cannot get away with. Beyond stupid.

The officiating is really making this nearly unwatchable this season. So bad.

We haven't seen as much as earlier Markkanen's dribble drive, running off screens, and post up game since Mike's injury
We havent seen it as much for sure. But we have seen it and he seems to be struggling with the additional attention he garners and the physicality that defenders are using on him. Luckily his three point shot is fire right now.

Lauri must be sent away, right?

He does not get any passes in 2nd half because Clarkson&Sexton&Beasley have their own threesome going on.

Every game!
Huh? You think I said Lauri should be sent away? I guess you are an idiot. I personally think he is the best player on the current team and is a guy that we should hang onto at all costs.

We havent seen it as much for sure. But we have seen it and he seems to be struggling with the additional attention he garners and the physicality that defenders are using on him. Luckily his three point shot is fire right now.
I think he'll adapt. He is going to have to learn to play with that increased focus. He just never really had that level of attention before. But i think he'll figure it out. He's that good.

Last edited:
I agree. I won't run to bring Mike in. WEst is crasy ths year and despite beeing not too bad, we cab easily ended bottom 3 or 4 at West conf, bottom 6 or 7. AMd if we are lucky and get Victor or another good player, then just add another great player and the quick rebuild is done.

Just watch the replay and coach was not at his best. This combined to a poor shooting. I say it several time but if JC shoot 25 shoot every night we are a 40% winning team. He got some hot night but can't carry the team alone. Lauri should be the main offensive guy.

I do agree with that Lauri should be clear number 1 guy in Jazz scoring if Jazz wants him becoming allstar.
But this is first time in Lauri's career when he even has got attention for opposite defences
and of course other teams know how dangerous scorer Lauri can be when he's hot.

I don't need replays because i have watched all these 3 games ( Clippers, Pacers, Trailblazers ) in Finnish internet TV named ruutu-plus
they have some special campaing now so there's live broadcast for all 15 Jazz games in December so i know how the game went.

Coach Hardy truly is promising young coach and he's got bright future with NBA coaching.
But if there is something what Hardy and whole Jazz coaching staff should do better that absolutely is train Lauri to being that star what Jazz wants him to be.
It will take time for sure but it is a marathon not a sprint Lauri is coming his prime so he'll get better with a time.

But then there's that other side and it is that if Jazz will start make more plays for Lauri how Clarkson and Sexton will take that.
Clarkson is also competing allstar status with Lauri so can Hardy and other coaches be sure of that
JC and Sexton will not start whine and cry if Lauri really gets number 1 status in Jazz scoring.
That's the question and it absolutely is easier said than done.

What a brutal ending. Just so many unforced errors. Man this team needs Conley back.

I dont know why Hardy calls the ball to Lauri at the end when he hadnt dribbled it much the whole game. I mean yeah he is your best player and was hitting from the charity stripe, but you gotta let your guards dribble out the clock. That being said those 2 TO killed us.

But for those who think JC kept us in this game, I have no words. Even half of the makes he had in the 2nd half were bad shots.. fast dribble off balance floaters and jumpers.

Its too familiar of a theme that we lose a game where he takes high volume of shots in the 2nd half. This time it was a ridiculous amount of 19 (almost half our teams shots).

FYI, he averages 17.1 FGA (with eFG 45.4%) points in our losses and 15.9 FGA (eFG 57.0%) in our wins. Lauri has 15.6 FGA in our wins and 14.4 in our losses.

There is an even more concerning trend in JC play. He does not feed Lauri at all. Early in the season he was setting up Lauri but not anymore. Out of his assists less than 20% are for Lauri, while Sexton is targeting him at 28% and Conley at 35%. JC has more assists to KO and Beasley.

We have seen this with DM, and JC is not on Donovans level as a scorer. Someone needs to tell him who our best player really is...

Which is ridiculous at this level that your reputation determines what you can or cannot get away with. Beyond stupid.

The officiating is really making this nearly unwatchable this season. So bad.
There's nothing we can do. You get a foul just by looking at Luka. That's how the NBA works. It's a business thing. Like who's gonna watch jazz vs Dallas in the finals? That would be a huge drop in tv ratings. So we need to go with the trend even of it's stupid.

I dont know why Hardy calls the ball to Lauri at the end when he hadnt dribbled it much the whole game. I mean yeah he is your best player and was hitting from the charity stripe, but you gotta let your guards dribble out the clock. That being said those 2 TO killed us.

But for those who think JC kept us in this game, I have no words. Even half of the makes he had in the 2nd half were bad shots.. fast dribble off balance floaters and jumpers.

Its too familiar of a theme that we lose a game where he takes high volume of shots in the 2nd half. This time it was a ridiculous amount of 19 (almost half our teams shots).

FYI, he averages 17.1 FGA (with eFG 45.4%) points in our losses and 15.9 FGA (eFG 57.0%) in our wins. Lauri has 15.6 FGA in our wins and 14.4 in our losses.

There is an even more concerning trend in JC play. He does not feed Lauri at all. Early in the season he was setting up Lauri but not anymore. Out of his assists less than 20% are for Lauri, while Sexton is targeting him at 28% and Conley at 35%. JC has more assists to KO and Beasley.

We have seen this with DM, and JC is not on Donovans level as a scorer. Someone needs to tell him who our best player really is...
There was passing early on but that was when Conley was running side by side with jc. I've said it before lauri won't get alot of touches if we run the trio of jc-sexton-beasley. Jc clearly had a bad shooting night and I don't know why hardy still gave him the green light. I know he saved us a couple of games but there are other options. Not a great coaching day for hardy tbh

There was passing early on but that was when Conley was running side by side with jc. I've said it before lauri won't get alot of touches if we run the trio of jc-sexton-beasley. Jc clearly had a bad shooting night and I don't know why hardy still gave him the green light. I know he saved us a couple of games but there are other options. Not a great coaching day for hardy tbh
Against Pacers we played one of our best offensive games of the season. Were also able to put them away. No one took more than 15 shots (JC 12).

Thats how we need to play every night... up or down on the score board.

JC sees himself as the best player... but the truth is we dont really have a #1 guy, so no one should try to "carry the team"... and if someone does I'd rather see Lauri on the post than JC on the point doing it.

Overall I think it's just fatigue. Tired legs, bad shooting night, bad calls. And Portland needed 45 and 33 from Simmons and Grant to beat us? My money is we beat them next game

I will keep beating this horse hoping its not dead... But I just see too many screens from Lauri to JC where JC doesn't pass despite it being obviously the right call. Also, Lauri cutting after an off ball screen is a waste of effort if Clarkson is the one handling the ball.

Here are some interesting facts:
Since the Wizards game (the start of our bad stretch), our assist leaders are as follows:
1. Clarkson 57
2. Sexton 53
3. KO 41
4. THT 39
5. Conley 38
6. Vando 35

Assists to Lauri buckets during that same stretch:
1. Sexton 15
2. Conley 13 (in 5 games)
3. KO 11
4. Vando 11
5. Clarkson 10

So our leading assists guy is not passing to the best scoring option... And it has only gotten worse.
Since Chicago game, JC has a total of 20 assists. Those assists have gone to: KO 5, Vando 5, Sexton 4, Beasley 3 (who has been ice cold for almost that entire stretch), THT 1, Kessler 1, Lauri 1

I've been saying they lack chemistry, but at this point I'm beginning to think this cannot be just a lack of chemistry. It's almost as if JC thinks he is the alpha dog and tries to prove it by not only taking more shots but also by avoiding Lauri. Thats what my eyes tell me, and when I went digging for these stats they seem to support my case.

Just by going through JC's assists for the season in NBA.com, you can clearly see it.

First page (assists #1-50): 15 to Markkanen (30%)
Second page (assists #51-100): 9 to Markkanen (18%)
Third page (assists #101-124): 3 to Markkanen (12.5%)

And we all know its not the "he hasn't finished those passes". Markkanen has been more effective the further this season has progressed. He was missing more shots early season (especially from 3).

Conley being out is IMO still the bigger part of why Markkanen has less FGA and touches lately... but you cannot dismiss JC methodically looking elsewhere.