What's new

Game Thread Dec 11, 2021 05:00PM MT: Jazz at Wizards

Added to Calendar: 12-11-21

I was watching the Wizards feed for this one, and one of their broadcasters was talking about the "heavyweight tag team matchup" between Montrez Harrell/ Daniel Gafford and Gobert/Whiteside. The other broadcaster, Drew Gooden, said "I got my money on Gafford and Montrez. You look at the numbers, and the numbers don't lie"

Flash forward to the end of the game:

Gobert/Whiteside: 38 points, 25 boards, 5 blocks, 17/19 FGs
Harrell/Gafford: 23 points, 16 boards, 1 block, 10/14 FGs
Jazz win by 25

In Gooden's defense, I guess, I don't know what the stats were exactly in the middle of the 3rd when he said this. But on the other hand, who in their right mind other than a massive homer would pick the Wizards two over Gobert and even a bum off the street, let alone Whiteside, who is proving to be an extremely competent backup. Still, I thought it was hilarious.

I was watching the Wizards feed for this one, and one of their broadcasters was talking about the "heavyweight tag team matchup" between Montrez Harrell/ Daniel Gafford and Gobert/Whiteside. The other broadcaster, Drew Gooden, said "I got my money on Gafford and Montrez. You look at the numbers, and the numbers don't lie"

Jazz win by 25

In Gooden's defense, I guess, I don't know what the stats were exactly in the middle of the 3rd when he said this. But on the other hand, who in their right mind other than a massive homer would pick the Wizards two over Gobert and even a bum off the street, let alone Whiteside, who is proving to be an extremely competent backup. Still, I thought it was hilarious.
Great post. Never pick against gobert unless the opponent is playing 5 midgets out there.

Why can’t we focus on feeding the bigs every game like we’ve done the last two? We had weeks and weeks of ignoring our bigs to Chuck up 3s. Now we’re feeding them and we’re just murdering teams.

We haven’t gotten offensive production from bigs like this since prime Memo and Boozer.

It’s about taking what the defense gives you. Wizards we’re trapping and not leaving the shooters. Free baskets in the paint all day. Other teams will trap but rotate over and leave a wide open three. Sometimes it’s both. If they’re dropping or switching, it’s Mitchell’s and Conley’s time to shine.

There’s no defense that this team doesn’t play well against. They may have a tough shooting night here and there, but they are the best shooting team in the league.

The offense has really taken off lately because the shooting started to revert back to normal. We talk about how much Gobert’s screens help the guards, but the spacing and aggression from deep is the reason why Gobert and Whiteside can eat inside themselves.

Great win. Jazz took care of business. Rudy and Hassan were both great tonight. I think the Jazz are a better team when they include the centers in the offense. Even though Gay had a bad shooting night the rest of the bench stepped up. Kudos for JC showing restrain and doing other things then jacking up 3 pointers. Many people have stated that the Jazz are the third team out of the West but I think it is too early to say that. GS lost last night and the Jazz are only two games behind them besides the Jazz have not played the Suns or GS. It is a long season and if Utah continues to play like this I would not be surprised if they finished first or second.

It’s about taking what the defense gives you. Wizards we’re trapping and not leaving the shooters. Free baskets in the paint all day. Other teams will trap but rotate over and leave a wide open three. Sometimes it’s both. If they’re dropping or switching, it’s Mitchell’s and Conley’s time to shine.

There’s no defense that this team doesn’t play well against. They may have a tough shooting night here and there, but they are the best shooting team in the league.

The offense has really taken off lately because the shooting started to revert back to normal. We talk about how much Gobert’s screens help the guards, but the spacing and aggression from deep is the reason why Gobert and Whiteside can eat inside themselves.
It’s not just “taking what the defense gives you.” The wizards and Sixers weren’t unique. It’s not like every other team played us differently but them. We had a thread just a few weeks ago about how Gobert was being ignored. It’s interesting that he got… what? 3 FG attempts in the Cleveland game? A game we nearly dropped? Fans in the game thread complained about how he was being ignored down low. And since then he’s been fed and we’ve been murdering teams. Coincidence?

The focus to feed the bigs while Clarkson has finally decided to not chuck the ball up every time he touches it, has revolutionized this team. If this continues, I think we’re going to be a really tough out. We’re better able to take advantage of small ball and make teams pay down low.

The quotes thread made me remember when kcp went high off the glass over gobert and it instead went high over the damn glass. That was hilarious

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

It's nice to see us winning by 20+ again. Now the young guys are getting some experience, even if it's garbage time.

Whiteside is as good as I predicted he would be and he is so insanely valuable. And Bogie has been playing better as of late.

It was weird seeing Neto but he's been solid for the Wizards. I wouldn't be surprised if they try and sign him again in the offseason.

Jazz win by 25

Fan-damn-tastic. That stat line from Gobert/Whiteside is nothing short of ridiculous.

It’s not just “taking what the defense gives you.” The wizards and Sixers weren’t unique. It’s not like every other team played us differently but them. We had a thread just a few weeks ago about how Gobert was being ignored. It’s interesting that he got… what? 3 FG attempts in the Cleveland game? A game we nearly dropped? Fans in the game thread complained about how he was being ignored down low. And since then he’s been fed and we’ve been murdering teams. Coincidence?

The focus to feed the bigs while Clarkson has finally decided to not chuck the ball up every time he touches it, has revolutionized this team. If this continues, I think we’re going to be a really tough out. We’re better able to take advantage of small ball and make teams pay down low.

I’m not saying it’s all that matters, but you can’t ignore the way difference in the way teams play. Some teams are going to take Rudy away first and foremost. Doesn’t mean we hit him every time we could, but that’s the reality of how some teams are going to defend. CLE was hard set out on taking away the big. Joe Ingles was literally walking to the basket and laughing as he took free layups because the Cavs wouldn’t leave him. He probably could have gotten a couple more shots, but there’s no way he was going to get a ton of good looks just because of how they were playing defense. Feeding him inside was not the way to play against that team.

During this win streak, the amount of shot attempts is almost exactly the same for Gobert and Whiteside. Whiteside didn’t even play in all of them so there was no big to feed for some portions of those games. The difference hasn’t been feeding the bigs more, it’s more accurate shooting. The Jazz have shot 44.4% from 3 since this winning streak started. Before that it was just 34.4%. That’s 5 more threes a game.

This isn’t to say that we’re not missing the bigs sometimes, but it’s pretty obvious where the difference has been. When shoot like **** and Gobert has 4 shots….yeah those times where we missed him are going to burn in our memory. But you’re not going to notice as much when you’re making 20 three’s a game.

There’s a method to the madness. I don’t think the Jazz get the best shot every time and there’s some things they could do better….but they are the best in the league in terms of taking the right shots. That’s why they’re having a historically great offensive season. They were near the top of the league all season long, but once the shooting came back (and Gay started taking JC’s shots) they elevated to this historically good level.

I’m not saying it’s all that matters, but you can’t ignore the way difference in the way teams play. Some teams are going to take Rudy away first and foremost. Doesn’t mean we hit him every time we could, but that’s the reality of how some teams are going to defend. CLE was hard set out on taking away the big. Joe Ingles was literally walking to the basket and laughing as he took free layups because the Cavs wouldn’t leave him. He probably could have gotten a couple more shots, but there’s no way he was going to get a ton of good looks just because of how they were playing defense. Feeding him inside was not the way to play against that team.

During this win streak, the amount of shot attempts is almost exactly the same for Gobert and Whiteside. Whiteside didn’t even play in all of them so there was no big to feed for some portions of those games. The difference hasn’t been feeding the bigs more, it’s more accurate shooting. The Jazz have shot 44.4% from 3 since this winning streak started. Before that it was just 34.4%. That’s 5 more threes a game.

This isn’t to say that we’re not missing the bigs sometimes, but it’s pretty obvious where the difference has been. When shoot like **** and Gobert has 4 shots….yeah those times where we missed him are going to burn in our memory. But you’re not going to notice as much when you’re making 20 three’s a game.

There’s a method to the madness. I don’t think the Jazz get the best shot every time and there’s some things they could do better….but they are the best in the league in terms of taking the right shots. That’s why they’re having a historically great offensive season. They were near the top of the league all season long, but once the shooting came back (and Gay started taking JC’s shots) they elevated to this historically good level.

Great post!

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz