What's new

Game Thread Dec 17, 2021 07:00PM MT: Jazz vs. Spurs

Added to Calendar: 12-17-21

This is a tough one for me.

One, we were due for a clunker. And you knew the spurs weren’t going to lay over. They were going to compete and they ended up making plays.

One the other hand, we looked exactly like the team that got rolled by the clippers. We couldn’t defend a chair and got killed by bigger and more athletic guards. This team, when it loses, it’s always the same story.

These losses can be good… if

1 We learn and change because of them.
2 realize that we won’t be the 1 seed and if you aren’t the 1 seed then there is almost zero advantage to being the 2,3,4 seed. So don’t ****ing burn Mike and Joe out chasing something that has a low probability of happening.

We did try small ball randomly so we tried something but I wasn’t sure why we tried it when we did and it didn’t work.

If you’re up 2 and on D in the closing seconds, you overplay the 3 because that’s the only way you lose. The Jazz should have setup something going to the basket.

These losses can be good… if

1 We learn and change because of them.
I've been hoping for that for years, but it's the same issues in close games. I've said this before, but the way our ball movement dies in the clutch makes me pine for the D-Will teams. They weren't as talented as this team, nor did they win as much, but that team knew how to execute in close games.

This team loses most of its close games. They're 0-11 in OT from January 2018 onwards, and most of those OT's are blowout losses.

As an aside, I really wish, in scenarios where we're tied or down a possession in the final seconds, we could get a play off that doesn't end with all of us thinking "What the hell was that play"

Players shoot their percentage. It's a proven ****ing fact. Clutch is not a thing that exists in this universe. Get over that concept. It has been thoroughly proven to be false as ****.
Don't remember where but I know I've heard Mitchell shoots like 32% when the Jazz are down 5 points or less under 5 minutes a game.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Spurs and the 29th draft pick - Derrick White, Keldon Johnson, Dejounte Murray all drafted there...

Trade Clarkson for Marcus Smart.

For sure but you are just trying to get them to make one pass they didn’t plan on or take a more contested shot than they wanted… there’s a chance it lands in one of our guts laps. You just have to throw a breaking ball every now and again to make your fastball more potent.
Ya and like I said, even if the adjustment fails then at least you tried something. That is what pissed me off against the clippers last year. If we lost then i can live with that but to watch them just kick out butts in the same fashion over and over with no adjustment whatsoever really sucked. I mean any adjustment would have satisfied me even if it didn't work. But nothing was adjusted at all. Tonight was similar but obviously not nearly as catastrophic.

I've been hoping for that for years, but it's the same issues in close games. I've said this before, but the way our ball movement dies in the clutch makes me pine for the D-Will teams. They weren't as talented as this team, nor did they win as much, but that team knew how to execute in close games.

This team loses most of its close games. They're 0-11 in OT from January 2018 onwards, and most of those OT's are blowout losses.

As an aside, I really wish, in scenarios where we're tied or down a possession in the final seconds, we could get a play off that doesn't end with all of us thinking "What the hell was that play"
Was it the team, or the coach?

Yep. Would be much better to just be like "dang it, he missed that good look. On to the next one." I hate that I usually think what the hell was that crap. At least we inbounded the ball quickly and cleanly. Thats an improvement lol.

I often think that quin sucks when i look at these many moments under a microscope. Then I step back and look at the big picture and see that we are a small market team in utah with no top mvp ranked players and no high draft picks and yet are consistently one of the best teams in the league.

I dont know how the hell to feel about Quin anymore. Is he a good coach or bad coach? average coach? Great coach in practices and in overall game plans who just cant call the right play in real time in close games and makes poor substitutions in close game and has no idea how or when to use challenges or how to make in game effective adjustments?

Im at a loss here.

I don't think it's because he becomes a worse shooter though. I think it's because he settles for really difficult shots.
Agreed. Mitch is being guarded by 3 guys and refuses to pass. Snyder needs to utilize guys like Bogey last season. Bogey won the Jazz several games.

Yep. Would be much better to just be like "dang it, he missed that good look. On to the next one." I hate that I usually think what the hell was that crap. At least we inbounded the ball quickly and cleanly. Thats an improvement lol.
I think we need to have mailman come in a teach end of game screening… just hug the effers… they ain’t gonna call it.

I don't think the Jazz should really be looking at the last two minutes when trying to improve. They should really look at the entire game where they didn't defend and when they got lazy in the second half on offense. In the last two minutes they scored on almost every possession and the Spurs made a tough bucket on every possession. That was a game they should have put away when they were up 17, but they let it get close and these things can happen.

I often think that quin sucks when i look at these many moments under a microscope. Then I step back and look at the big picture and see that we are a small market team in utah with no top mvp ranked players and no high draft picks and yet are consistently one of the best teams in the league.

I dont know how the hell to feel about Quin anymore. Is he a good coach or bad coach? average coach? Great coach in practices and in overall game plans who just cant call the right play in real time in close games and makes poor substitutions in close game and has no idea how or when to use challenges or how to make in game effective adjustments?

Im at a loss here.
He's awesome but flawed. His plays out of timeouts are possibly his worst category.
He's brilliant as far as utilizing Gobert for the whole teams defense.
His offense this season is hard to argue with based on ppg. That said they run tons of iso and quick 3s. It's odd cause Boler likes to think the Jazz constantly run the "blender." When the shooting goes cold and Rudy's not on the floor things get ugly quick and the Jazz have been losing very questionable games.
The biggest thing the Jazz need to do is when the other teams start making shots, the focus needs to go to defense and not trying to hurry and put up 3s as fast as possible. Offense needs to set up plays that really set up an easy shot.

I don't think the Jazz should really be looking at the last two minutes when trying to improve. They should really look at the entire game where they didn't defend and when they got lazy in the second half on offense. In the last two minutes they scored on almost every possession and the Spurs made a tough bucket on every possession. That was a game they should have put away when they were up 17, but they let it get close and these things can happen.
Both issues are problems. In the playoffs we will play closer games and both the defense and the execution will cost us.

This. They didn't lose this in the last minute. They lost it in the third quarter when they failed to match the Spurs focus and intensity.

Fair but I think they can also adjust in the last couple minutes when getting torched… Spurs we’re 24/30 from 2 in second half. That is ridiculous shot making but also we need to be able to disrupt. Even if we had a Dunn to substitute in for defense in the last 30 seconds it could help a lot. Take Conley or bogey off the court depending on who is getting hunted. Still had timeouts so you can go offense/defense subs as needed.

Oh well maybe this will dissuade them from going balls to wall for the 1 seed since it’s starting to get too far away.

Don't remember where but I know I've heard Mitchell shoots like 32% when the Jazz are down 5 points or less under 5 minutes a game.

And I shoot 75% when I have a thimble up my *** and a nanny is yelling sexual comments at me.