What's new

Game Thread Dec 17, 2021 07:00PM MT: Jazz vs. Spurs

Added to Calendar: 12-17-21

I didn't see any mention our second to last possession. Donovan missed one of his easiest layups in the paint of his night. Just barely went out and he had a really really good look. then that ****er for the spurs makes one of the toughest shots I have ever seen with Rudy playing some of his best defense I have ever seen. So stupid. this one stings.

So two weeks ago I used this exact same scenario to be an analogy for how we approach the season. I used this scenario because it’s patently obvious what’s going to happen. I think I even had this down to the tenth of a second:

It's like having a game coming down to a possession with 2.3 seconds on the clock coming out of a timeout and we're somehow going to end up with a contested Donovan 30-footer that's off-balance and fading away. Sure, it could go in. But it's not exactly the shot I'd like and it isn't giving us the best chance. Last year we could have won it all. We had the equivalent of a Donovan 30 footer that's off balance and fading away... we could have won but the chance we gave ourselves was pretty poor. This year we will/are rationalizing ourselves by saying we're definitely there and could pull it off, just like any game where you've got the ball and a chance to win with 2.3 seconds left is a game you can win. So we can definitely do it, and if we do it by Donovan's off-balanced 30-footer that's contested while fading away, then we will have won despite a bad look and not because of it.

Think I missed the memo, did Whiteside play in the 2nd half? And I reiterate, the Spurs average 102 ppg on the road…or did anyway

And I promise you that we will have another one of these scenarios, down to the T, that will happen before the end of the season. It’s because when we get in these situations, it’s our go to move. I do not believe Quin will change it because he doesn’t want Don to feel he doesn’t believe in him, and he’s said things like that indirectly that he tolerates Donovan “taking the team on his shoulder” or whatever, kind of the same way he lets Clarkson. This is our go-to move for a last second shot, so get used to it.

I dont know how the hell to feel about Quin anymore. Is he a good coach or bad coach? average coach? Great coach in practices and in overall game plans who just cant call the right play in real time in close games and makes poor substitutions in close game and has no idea how or when to use challenges or how to make in game effective adjustment.
You hit the nail on the head as far as I'm concerned with all of this.

Fair but I think they can also adjust in the last couple minutes when getting torched… Spurs we’re 24/30 from 2 in second half. That is ridiculous shot making but also we need to be able to disrupt. Even if we had a Dunn to substitute in for defense in the last 30 seconds it could help a lot. Take Conley or bogey off the court depending on who is getting hunted. Still had timeouts so you can go offense/defense subs as needed.

Oh well maybe this will dissuade them from going balls to wall for the 1 seed since it’s starting to get too far away.

We don't make adjustments, where have you been the last 5 years?

We could have played better and made adjustments for sure, but I think you have to give some credit to the Spurs for playing extremely well in the last two minutes. To me there's not shame in losing to a team in a two minute stretch where the other team simply plays great. There is a lot of shame in letting a far inferior team stick around the whole game because you don't put in the effort. I think the Jazz played some of their best basketball tonight later in the game, but the Spurs met that level and were hitting wayyyy more difficult shots than us. So if we're looking at how we lost this game we should look at the first 45.

This game was potentially a good preview of a Suns series, however. The Sun's bread in butter is exactly what happened, and they are so good at it you can't tip your cap and say GG after the game. They beat everyone this way and if you don't know that you haven't watched Sun's basketball. If they beat you that way, you have to look at your coach like he's an idiot who won't adjust for anything. Unfortunately, that has been the coach Quin has been throughout his entire career. He is a no adjustment coach. It's understandably frustrating, but it should be surprising to no one.

We don't make adjustments, where have you been the last 5 years?

We could have played better and made adjustments for sure, but I think you have to give some credit to the Spurs for playing extremely well in the last two minutes. To me there's not shame in losing to a team in a two minute stretch where the other team simply plays great. There is a lot of shame in letting a far inferior team stick around the whole game because you don't put in the effort. I think the Jazz played some of their best basketball tonight later in the game, but the Spurs met that level and were hitting wayyyy more difficult shots than us. So if we're looking at how we lost this game we should look at the first 45.

This game was potentially a good preview of a Suns series, however. The Sun's bread in butter is exactly what happened, and they are so good at it you can't tip your cap and say GG after the game. They beat everyone this way and if you don't know that you haven't watched Sun's basketball. If they beat you that way, you have to look at your coach like he's an idiot who won't adjust for anything. Unfortunately, that has been the coach Quin has been throughout his entire career. He is a no adjustment coach. It's understandably frustrating, but it should be surprising to no one.
Ummmm. Well, I think we were watching when the jazz couldn't make adjustments in three historic playoff flops.

This game was a coaching loss. It was about adjustments. The spurs pushed buttons and we insisted on pushing the same buttons as if it would eventually change.

This is also fodder for Danny Ainge who surely is looking to swap a bit of offense for improved defense.

As someone else said, the hardest part of watching this game was how similar it felt to the Clippers series last year. We are absolutely unequipped to stop guards in the midrange.

For me, tonight felt like a microcosm of the playoff flops wrapped up in one game.
The first 2 quarters, we came in with a better game plan. In the third quarter Pop made adjustments. I mean, Landale as the super sub? He didn't even play in the first half.

By the fourth we looked like we played with high desperation but we only really started to adjust in the last 5 minutes of the game.

In short, Pop just out coached our coaches.

Quin does some amazing things but adjust quickly is not one of them. I think it is a limiting factor in our teams success unfortunately.

if we are to win with Quin then Quin needs to be surrounded by some different voices that can help him recognize and adjust on the fly.

Thankfully there's another game tomorrow, because that game sucked. Especially that 3rd quarter. It was brutal.

I think my biggest concern right now is Ingles. Most of the time, he doesn't seem to be engaged in the general flow of the game anymore. Even his legendary basketball IQ seems diminished - he made a ton of mental mistakes against the Spurs.

I think my biggest concern right now is Ingles. Most of the time, he doesn't seem to be engaged in the general flow of the game anymore. Even his legendary basketball IQ seems diminished - he made a ton of mental mistakes against the Spurs.

I dont even notice him out there anymore. He is invisible

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

I'm usually pretty harsh on our losses but this is one of those rare games where we played well and lost. If we played the Spurs in the Playoffs I'm confident we would beat them in a series.

I'm usually pretty harsh on our losses but this is one of those rare games where we played well and lost. If we played the Spurs in the Playoffs I'm confident we would beat them in a series.
Yes, but imagine instead of the Spurs doing this it’s now the Suns, Warriors, or Nets doing it. This is a foreshadowing for any of those kind of matchups.

1. Perimeter defense inability.
2. Quin inflexibility.
3. Mental collapsibility.

Yes, but imagine instead of the Spurs doing this it’s now the Suns, Warriors, or Nets doing it. This is a foreshadowing for any of those kind of matchups.

2. Quin inflexibility.
4. Oldie-bility?

2. Quin inflexibility.
We need more perimeter defense, no doubt. Honestly, the more the perimeter defense is exposed the better the chances the FO makes a play to further improve it, so I'm thankful this is continuing to happen and that we're tested during the regular season. I think we're better than last season with perimeter defense but we need more. Maybe they're hoping and waiting someone will be waived at the deadline... hopefully they take action. Like I said I'm OK with this loss.