What's new

Dell Demps has agreed to join the Utah Jazz as an assistant coach, reuniting with Quin Snyder

Woo hoo! This is a home run! I like this for a multitude of reasons.

You not only get Dell Demps as an assistant, but you get an extra set of GM eyes to help with your draft board. And you not only get someone who has been the GM for the Pelicans and the Hornets, but played for the Warriors, Spurs and Magic. GMs make trades with their friends, Zanik, Lindsey and Demps gives us more options. And one move could be huge.

Someone mentioned that it could mean Derrick Favors, but I'm hoping it could mean Jrue Holiday. He's a legit 2 guard (only 6'3" (real 6'3" not a Donovan 6'3") but with a 6'7" wingspan).

I also like that Quin has some obvious replacements underneath him (if needed - I don't think they would be, but you never know). Although, it should be pointed out that while the Jazz current system doesn't create a hierarchy of assistant coaches, if Quin gets ejected Alex Jensen is his designated replacement (the Jazz have answered this question a few times).

Dooling is a nice pickup as well. He was player development coordinator for the Celtics and Grizzlies. He also coached in the D-League. Hopefully he can help our wings improve.

Good hire, glad to see the jazz give a minority a chance. Its pathetic the track record Gail Miller has given to minorities. This is a good hire but it’s simply not enough. Gail needs to sell the team. She continually has allowed prestigious positions to go to white men when there have been well qualified minorities and women that could have and should have been selected. Clearly she doesn’t get it. She is systemically racist within her own company (if you believe in that kind of thing). Why is this tolerated? Specially from some of the people on this board? As I have pointed out before nearly all the key position for the Utah Jazz are maintained by white men. The one black head coach we had was completely screwed over by Dennis Lindsey and subsequently fired.

Steve Starks -white
Jim Olsen -white
Dennis Lindsey -white
Justin Zanik -white
Richard Smith -white (effectively replaced Walt Perin)
Quinn Snyder -white

I know that there other positions held by minorities or women but notice how the prestigious positions are held by whites?

Look I am not saying that all the positions need to be held by minorities but at least a couple a the prestigious ones need to. Gail good hire but it’s not enough. Fire Dennis or Quinn and give some other people a shot. It’s not like there are not other qualified people.
Jarron Collins would be a great candidate to bring in.

Good hire, glad to see the jazz give a minority a chance. Its pathetic the track record Gail Miller has given to minorities. This is a good hire but it’s simply not enough. Gail needs to sell the team. She continually has allowed prestigious positions to go to white men when there have been well qualified minorities and women that could have and should have been selected. Clearly she doesn’t get it. She is systemically racist within her own company (if you believe in that kind of thing). Why is this tolerated? Specially from some of the people on this board? As I have pointed out before nearly all the key position for the Utah Jazz are maintained by white men. The one black head coach we had was completely screwed over by Dennis Lindsey and subsequently fired.

Steve Starks -white
Jim Olsen -white
Dennis Lindsey -white
Justin Zanik -white
Quinn Snyder -white

I know that there other positions held by minorities or women but notice how the prestigious positions are held by whites?

Look I am not saying that all the positions need to be held by minorities but at least a couple a the prestigious ones need to. Gail good hire but it’s not enough. Fire Dennis or Quinn and give some other people a shot. It’s not like there are not other qualified people.
[/QUOTE
What about when whites are 90% of the qualified options? Just hire the minority to prove a point?

Seeing as Favors didnt like playing in NOLA that much I dont see how hiring anyone from his year in NOLA would have any positive factor in him coming to Utah (though I doubt it would have a negative either).
Greasing the wheels on a sign-and-trade would be the only thing that it MIGHT help.

I (and we) obviously know jack ****, but I don’t understand why we don’t reunite with Igor.

I (and we) obviously know jack ****, but I don’t understand why we don’t reunite with Igor.
He is currently coaching a top team in Europe. He has big shoes to fill after Obradovic and probably likes the challenge.

He is currently coaching a top team in Europe. He has big shoes to fill after Obradovic and probably likes the challenge.
Oh. Last I heard he was somehow an assistant with the Kings or some dumb ****. But that would be a legit reason.

Steve Starks -white
Jim Olsen -white
Dennis Lindsey -white
Justin Zanik -white
Quinn Snyder -white

STFU. Go find your witch hunt elsewhere. Smh.

On top of the fact Gail Miller would not profit from any sell of the franchise seeing as the millers turned it over to a trust.
Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz mobile app

Last edited:
Woo hoo! This is a home run! I like this for a multitude of reasons.

You not only get Dell Demps as an assistant, but you get an extra set of GM eyes to help with your draft board. And you not only get someone who has been the GM for the Pelicans and the Hornets, but played for the Warriors, Spurs and Magic. GMs make trades with their friends, Zanik, Lindsey and Demps gives us more options. And one move could be huge.

Someone mentioned that it could mean Derrick Favors, but I'm hoping it could mean Jrue Holiday. He's a legit 2 guard (only 6'3" (real 6'3" not a Donovan 6'3") but with a 6'7" wingspan).

I also like that Quin has some obvious replacements underneath him (if needed - I don't think they would be, but you never know). Although, it should be pointed out that while the Jazz current system doesn't create a hierarchy of assistant coaches, if Quin gets ejected Alex Jensen is his designated replacement (the Jazz have answered this question a few times).
Good post.

Steve Starks -white
Jim Olsen -white
Dennis Lindsey -white
Justin Zanik -white
Quinn Snyder -white

Gail isn't the one hiring assistant coaches, it's Quin And Dl

Steve Starks -white
Jim Olsen -white
Dennis Lindsey -white
Justin Zanik -white
Quinn Snyder -white

garbage post

Reactions: SCS
Dell Demps is the guy who swooped in and grabbed Mirotic while DL was thinking he’d land him with a couple second rounders. Dell gave the wake up call when Boogie went down that the league landscape isn’t static. Oh but Grayson Allen was worth it. He helped us land Conley.

Dell Demps is the guy who swooped in and grabbed Mirotic while DL was thinking he’d land him with a couple second rounders. Dell gave the wake up call when Boogie went down that the league landscape isn’t static. Oh but Grayson Allen was worth it. He helped us land Conley.
Dell Demps was a horrendous GM by all accounts. David Stern called him a terrible GM and called him out for trying to trade Chris Paul for Luis Scola and Kevin Martin.

Dell Demps was a horrendous GM by all accounts. David Stern called him a terrible GM and called him out for trying to trade Chris Paul for Luis Scola and Kevin Martin.
And Tony Bradley isn't necessarily a great player, but that doesn't mean he didn't go 3/3 from deep this year.

I totally forgot about this but it was pointed out on local radio (KALL700 AM) that there is a precedent for this with the Jazz, Scotty Layden. Was Jazz and NYK GM and came back to the Jazz as an Asst Coach under Jerry Sloan.

He was a horrible GM. I'm excited about his potential as a coach though. I watched some of his interviews and seminars speaking to college players and I was impressed with how engaging he is. Seems like he will connect very well with players.