What's new

Delon Wright Utah Utes

Thanks everyone. Can I get a report on the Haws kid from BYU since the Wright one was so nice. Love the comparsion to Larry Hughes that video reminded me of him too

As a BYU fan, I can admit Haws just isn't a good enough athlete to play in the NBA. Skills wise he can shoot especially of a screen in the midrange. He can post a little but when he runs into NBA size, length and athletic ability he disappears.

I'm less concerned about his shooting then other prospects as he can do a lot of other things so well. I think he'd rather pass then shoot anyway. I think this board is undervaluing him just a tad bit

As a BYU fan, I can admit Haws just isn't a good enough athlete to play in the NBA. Skills wise he can shoot especially of a screen in the midrange. He can post a little but when he runs into NBA size, length and athletic ability he disappears.
He game reminds me of rip hamilton

Thanks Einstein Im aware they don't play the same positions but they are both the leaders for the team so thought Id ask before march madness starts
Lol. Sensitive much? My post wasn't even directed at you. But, tbh, many would consider KC BYU's leader, even best player, more than Haws.

6'5 penetrating/defensive minded PG's who can't shoot?

I don't watch much of either, just seems like on paper they are similar.

MCW is a shoot first pg that relies on his physical attributes and not very iq savvy where as Wright takes what is given from the defense and has a conscience on offense. You'll never see Wright go 2-20 in a game. He's a pass first guard that can score and always makes the right play

He's a great player at the college level but I have a few questions about him at the pro level.

Biggest issue is he's not a great shooter. Not horrible, and seems to be improving, but certainly not a guy you want shooting a bunch of threes.

Not a super explosive athlete and pretty skinny. Makes me wonder what position he guards, even though I would say overall he is a good defender at the college level. In addition, lack of super elite athleticism, inability to shoot, and mediocre handle makes me worry about his offense too.

A lot of upside if he continues to improve, but a risky pick in some ways.

Hes about as close to horrible a shooter as you're going to get on a top 15 team. Some of his 3's miss the rim by a good 2 - 3 feet, sometimes I'm shocked they don't shatter the backboard. He's got a good feel for the game, but he is skinny, he's older, he's a solid but not great athlete, he's not a great passer .... I don't know. He does a lot of things pretty well, nothing great, and a few things horribly. I wouldnt mind taking him in the late first but I doubt I'd go any higher.

I know that I was the first to bring up Delon Wright on this forum. And I must say my comments were met with absolute indifference. At this point I don't see Delon or Haws as being real good as pro players. Although trying to figure who's college game would be successful as a pro is a very knotty question indeed. They both will get a shot at it but I wouldn't book either as sure fire bet. If drafting players was easy and obvious the people who do it would make a lot less mis-judgments.. And would save a lot of angst for most of the people who post on this forum.

Reasons why we should use assets to get Delon late in the first round.

NBA Size and athleticism
Team guy good attitude locker room plus
Two way player
Chose Utah, there is no reason to think he will hate playing here

The last one is kind of a biggie right now imo. Do we bring in a disgruntled vet on a bad contract for our bench or get a guy like Delon who will almost surely be positive? We have to build a team eventually. I see Delon as a potential glue guy.

We have a **** load of second rounders. I think we can spend a few on Wright.

Hes about as close to horrible a shooter as you're going to get on a top 15 team. Some of his 3's miss the rim by a good 2 - 3 feet, sometimes I'm shocked they don't shatter the backboard. He's got a good feel for the game, but he is skinny, he's older, he's a solid but not great athlete, he's not a great passer .... I don't know. He does a lot of things pretty well, nothing great, and a few things horribly. I wouldnt mind taking him in the late first but I doubt I'd go any higher.

I fink u r way off. First he's an elite level defender as a pg he's an elite level rebounder at the pg spot he is a very good passer and has a high IQ leads the Utes in steals. He's a throwback pg in that he's a scorer that first looks to set up his team so he's not going to shoot as much as some pg's that can't shoot also very good at driving and finishing or dishing out for an open three but it's his defense that makes him great

MCW is a shoot first pg that relies on his physical attributes and not very iq savvy where as Wright takes what is given from the defense and has a conscience on offense. You'll never see Wright go 2-20 in a game. He's a pass first guard that can score and always makes the right play

MCW shot like 9 shots per game at Syracuse and averaged 7 apg.......

Wright shoots more shots per 40 minutes in their college careers than MCW did......

Wright seems like a poor man's MCW who plays more within himself (higher FG% and lower TO's).

MCW shot like 9 shots per game at Syracuse and averaged 7 apg.......

Wright shoots more shots per 40 minutes in their college careers than MCW did......

Wright seems like a poor man's MCW who plays more within himself (higher FG% and lower TO's).

His FG% is .517 so it's not like he is taking bad shots. The team is shooting .400 from the 3 on almost 20 attempts per game. Part of the reason they are shooting that well is because of the open looks they get. Delon's shots per game are by design. They are not the sign of a selfish player.