What's new

Deron Williams' First NBA Game - Mavs/Jazz 2005-06

vslice02

Deron's NBA debut, which ironically was against Devin Harris. Very good game for Deron (18 pts, 3 ast, 3 reb, and one 65-foot buzzer-beater) although Memo ended up stealing the show down the stretch in a suprising Jazz victory.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7dNMUsjXYM

Wow! Nice work.

I didn't remember Deron Williams being NBA ready his very first game. He showed a lot of his staple moves in that clip. This is the reason I don't believe in giving players playing time to develop. They generally show they're going to be excellent right off, just like DWill did and Lebron did and almost every other player not named Jermain O'Neal did.

But CJ just needs to mature.

Wow, I know we keep saying we see superstar potential in our new guys... But when you look at this game you really see a superstar in the making. First NBA game he's hitting step back threes with the clock running down, crossing guys up, finishing in the lane over two guys. I just don't see that kind of ability this season from any rookie or sophomore on this team

Obviously some of that is guard skills -- I would say we have seen flashes like this from Favors, personally.

Deron, Humphries, and Okur. Kinda weird.
Yeah it was strange rewatching that game. Deron facing Devin Harris and Josh Howard...The Mavs coached by Avery Johnson...Okur and Humphries on the Jazz...Ostertag's final NBA season...Keith McLeod starting at PG...Keith Van Horn playing for the Mavs...ESA still called the Delta Center...Boozer in a suit behind the bench (well maybe that part wasn't so strange).

Regarding "superstart potential" - don't forget Deron played PG 3 years at Illinois. Favors played 1 year at Georgia Tech (with awful guards btw) and Kanter didn't play any college basketball. A little different with bigs and guards too, I'm not concerned at all with Favors' development.

Man, watching Kyrie Irving made me realize how much a good point guard matters and how much Deron changed the tempo of the game.
Devin's doing a much better job, IMO, now than he was when he first came but he's still trying to find his groove and he's not using his speed.

Just not sure where a good point guard could come from except that Golden State's pick falls to us and we get Kendall Marhsall (provided that Gilchrist is taken, otherwise take Gilchrist)

Was this his first game with the Jazz or with NJ?

Yeah it was strange rewatching that game. Deron facing Devin Harris and Josh Howard...The Mavs coached by Avery Johnson...Okur and Humphries on the Jazz...Ostertag's final NBA season...Keith McLeod starting at PG...Keith Van Horn playing for the Mavs...ESA still called the Delta Center...Boozer in a suit behind the bench (well maybe that part wasn't so strange).

Regarding "superstart potential" - don't forget Deron played PG 3 years at Illinois. Favors played 1 year at Georgia Tech (with awful guards btw) and Kanter didn't play any college basketball. A little different with bigs and guards too, I'm not concerned at all with Favors' development.

Don't forget that Jarron Collins was there and had that tip-in near the end. This game was all sorts of strange. ;)

I also am not worried about Favors development. I also think Kanter will be a solid rotation guy. Burks has all the tools, he just needs to get over the rookie excitement and play a bit more under control.

As for Deron, some guys just have more natural ability to go along with loads of confidence. Confidence can be cultivated but I also think you're born with a certain amount of it as well. If you want to know who has all the self-confidence on this team, just look at who actually played well against the Lakers. It takes lot of confidence to go up against a guy with the most confidence in the league, Kobe Bryant. I would put Wade as number 2 in confidence and then KD, Ginobili, Deron, etc.

Of course, it takes time to know what to have confidence in--what part of your game you can rely on, etc. It also takes time to get over your remaining weaknesses/fears of failure. Kobe, for example, had to get over his fears of playing against particular players and teams, shooting airballs in the playoffs and getting swept. Wade had to get over his fear of getting hurt again. Deron, as well as several other elite players, sometimes seem to have a little fear of playing the elite teams in the playoffs. When he shakes it off, he plays great. Even Jordan had to get over his fears of people calling him too selfish and not a team player or against certain teams with reputations like the Bad Boys of Detroit, L.A.'s Showtime and Bird's Celtics.

You don't have to win every year to be considered great. To me, an all-time great is someone who overcame their fears, Or, at least overcame most of them. They accomplished many things beyond their natural abliities because of their hard work, dedication and determination to succeed.

In fact, we all struggle with fears and uncertainties that hold us back. We just have to push past them with an eye towards mastery over them. We just have to do what Coach Sloan would suggest: Take it one day at a time. Don't look too far ahead. Just focus on today and tomorrow will get here eventually.

High five, everyone! Yes! :D

I know a lot of you guys like your Jimmy Chitwood's, but give me a superstar any day of the week. Bring Deron back!

I know a lot of you guys like your Jimmy Chitwood's, but give me a superstar any day of the week. Bring Deron back!

Just like a battered wife, I will take him back! To me the good out weighed the bad with Deron!

This is the reason I don't believe in giving players playing time to develop. They generally show they're going to be excellent right off, just like DWill did and Lebron did and almost every other player not named Jermain O'Neal did.

But CJ just needs to mature.

I agree this may be sometimes true, but I think you stretch the point quite a bit. There are quite a few above average players who take time to develop, as well as a fair number of superstars. Some rookies year ppg:
Steve Nash (3)
Tracey McGrady (7)
Gary Payton (7)
Kobe Bryant (8)
Manu Ginobli (8)
Dirk Nowiski (8)
Scotty Pippin (8)