What's new

Devin Booker?

Very soon after that draft. Jazz were being widely criticized for taking Lyles over Booker and one of the local pundits spilled the beans about his refusal.
No big surprise, much the same as when Chris Paul had his camp warn the Jazz not to take him. You then draft Williams and on media day explain how you wanted a larger guard who could see over defenses and defend with more physicality.
Media knew what was really up with the selection but went along with the narrative.
Some things never change and Reporters desperate to remain looped in is one of them.
Are you telling me there was no balance beam routine????

Very soon after that draft. Jazz were being widely criticized for taking Lyles over Booker and one of the local pundits spilled the beans about his refusal.
No big surprise, much the same as when Chris Paul had his camp warn the Jazz not to take him. You then draft Williams and on media day explain how you wanted a larger guard who could see over defenses and defend with more physicality.
Media knew what was really up with the selection but went along with the narrative.
Some things never change and beat-level Reporters desperate to remain looped in are one of them.
link?

Are you telling me there was no balance beam routine????
When you make a bad selection and go on record talking about balance, when that **** blows up in your face, you need a new narrative. “He refused to workout with us” works just as well as “we were really high on Lu Dort.”

I'm not too proud to admit that sailed right over my head.
Lyles apparently crushed the balance and other weird tests they had and DL kept bringing it up… so we called it the balance beam routine and joked that it was the reason he was selected.

Yeah, if you can get Booker you do it. He's the reason KD forced a trade to PHX. Incidentally, one of PHX's problems is that Beal isn't able to perform up to his contract, especially as basically a 3rd scoring option who doesn't create for others.

Booker is talented for sure. It will make the team better on offense. But we will still be bad in defense. As i say, offense make you win games, defense can make you win series.

Lyles was NOT a bad pick folks (although I don't like him personally). We ended up trading Lyles and our pick for Donovan.... which then turned into all the crap from the Cavs.

My favorite memory (other than trading him) was when a reporter asked him what was good about Utah (the organization, people, state, etc...) and all he could say was "Well, I like mountains there."

Lyles has ended having an OK career. It wasn't the worst pick. He still showed enough talent in Utah to be valued to trade up

Lyles won't see a pension. Booker will be HOF.

That was another year when we were desperate for shot creation but DH' team sold their choice on his size and potential as a stretch wing. Booker simply wasn't an available choice for them.

Lyles was NOT a bad pick folks (although I don't like him personally). We ended up trading Lyles and our pick for Donovan.... which then turned into all the crap from the Cavs.

My favorite memory (other than trading him) was when a reporter asked him what was good about Utah (the organization, people, state, etc...) and all he could say was "Well, I like mountains there."
That was Kanter.

Lyles was the guy who didn't like long practices.

Yes. I would offer 3 firsts, Collins, and their choice of anyone else not named Laui or Keyonte up to the amount needed to make the trade work.
You mean we will get a young multiple-time All Star with 4 years on his contract for the 8th pick in a bad draft, the 29th pick in a bad draft and the 25ish pick in 2026? And we get to dump Collins' bad contract too? I am sure the Suns will be giddy to receive such mighty haul!

Nope I know what I heard or read. Can't recall which now, nor who said it. Believe or not, do your own digging please. Maybe TJ can help.

As close as I can get guys. But a local pundit at the time said he refused to work out for the Jazz

You mean we will get a young multiple-time All Star with 4 years on his contract for the 8th pick in a bad draft, the 29th pick in a bad draft and the 25ish pick in 2026? And we get to dump Collins' bad contract too? I am sure the Suns will be giddy to receive such mighty haul!
I never said which picks. I also didn’t restrict many of our better players, even the young ones so don’t be a dick.

I never said which picks. I also didn’t restrict many of our better players, even the young ones so don’t be a dick.
Hey, I used the best Jazz-owned picks: highest and closest in time. Do you actually think that we can get a player of the Booker's caliber with the picks from 2029-2030? Given that the tenure length of a Suns GM in the 21st century averaged 3 years? Oh, I forgot: we are throwing in the mighty Collins and our underwhelming (so far) rookies, Hendriks and Brice!

Let's turn the tables: would you consider trading Lauri for the 7th pick in 2024, two 25ish picks in 2025-26 and say, Kobe Bufkin? Oh, and we would have to also take on a large bad contract!

And Booker is worth way, way more than Lauri.

I think someone already mentioned, but Booker is probably the last guy out the door in Phoenix. They are much more likely to try and retool around him, if they have to break up this band of misfits.

I mean its not like they can tank within next 6 years or so.

To all folks that fantasize about this or that big trade during the upcoming off-season: the Jazz simply currently DO NOT have enough assets to engage in such trades. All that Utah has right now is Lauri, several unproven rookies and the slumping Kessler. Once a big trade is completed we will have Lauri + new star +... nothing? The Jazz will be without any close-in-time draft picks and the only help they can get will be through their cap space. Now, how many good role players were willing to come and join the Mitchell-Gobert Jazz, the Deron-Boozer Jazz, the Stockton-Malone Jazz? Why would it be different this time?

If you look at recent more-or-less successful star trades, the teams first established a core that they could add a star via trade and immediately compete. The Timberwolves added Gobert to Ant-Towns-McDaniels-Russell-Reid, the Cavs added Mitchell to Garland-Allen-Mobley, the Raptors added Kawhi to Lowry-Valanciunas-Siakim-VanVleet. Utah needs to establish a similar core before going for a second star to pair with Lauri and nobody else.