What's new

Discussion leading up to game 4, but certainly NOT a game thread

A win tonight and it's a three game series. A loss and we're surely done for in G5.

I don’t find this to be true. Don’t get me wrong. I still think Houston would def win the series but if Houston wins tonight, I think they could get a little complacent and we play so damn well on the road that I could see us sneaking one out in Fat City again.

Game 6 would then be a toss up but I’d probably put money on Houston at that point.

This sucks without Favors.

I like Favors, but why do people feel like he is so essential? Against Golden State last year and Houston this year, he's borderline useless. I mean, look at these pathetic stat lines over 3 games:

60 minutes played (20mpg is a good amount of playing time)
17 total points (terrible)
7 total rebounds (unacceptable)
2 total free throw attempts (terrible)
0-1 total from 3 (terrible
8 of 16 overall (good 50%)
1 block per game (solid)
1 steal per game (solid)
2 fouls total (if you aren't scoring or getting rebounds, at least go out there and enforce the paint. Make Capella earn it from the line)

Gobert is an offensive liability already. Favors and Gobert together just doesn't scare good teams.

I like Favors, but why do people feel like he is so essential? Against Golden State last year and Houston this year, he's borderline useless. I mean, look at these pathetic stat lines over 3 games:

60 minutes played (20mpg is a good amount of playing time)
17 total points (terrible)
7 total rebounds (unacceptable)
2 total free throw attempts (terrible)
0-1 total from 3 (terrible
8 of 16 overall (good 50%)
1 block per game (solid)
1 steal per game (solid)
2 fouls total (if you aren't scoring or getting rebounds, at least go out there and enforce the paint. Make Capella earn it from the line)

Gobert is an offensive liability already. Favors and Gobert together just doesn't scare good teams.

I dont know why you keep bringing up the GS series last year when Favors and Gobert were both hurt. How did Favors and Gobert combo do against GS when healthy this year? People are probably valuing Favors because he was a big help in getting us past the heavily favored OKC team.

Yes Favors has not been great against Houston so far but I am also not sure why you are targeting him. No one has been good against Houston so far. Exum and Burks are the only guys who are not negative in the +/- category against Houston. Ingles is -12.7, Gobert and Royce are -12.3, Mitchell is -11 and Favors is -7.7(which is the best among our starters.) Maybe having our starting PG who runs the pick and roll with our bigs and gets them involved has something to do with that?

Favors can and should step up but literally all of our starters are in the same boat for this series overall. Favors was solid in our win and bad in our losses just like the rest of the starters.

Of Favors was also our 2nd best +/- and Net rating against OKC for that series just behind Ingles.

Rubio plays 50%, Favors 70%

UTA won G2 with DM playing PG and Q probably knows better but perhaps Neto should start. He looked sharp and aggressive, played solid defense.
Royce played great so benching him is not ideal but they need to find a way to win.

I dont know why you keep bringing up the GS series last year when Favors and Gobert were both hurt. How did Favors and Gobert combo do against GS when healthy this year? People are probably valuing Favors because he was a big help in getting us past the heavily favored OKC team.

Yes Favors has not been great against Houston so far but I am also not sure why you are targeting him. No one has been good against Houston so far. Exum and Burks are the only guys who are not negative in the +/- category against Houston. Ingles is -12.7, Gobert and Royce are -12.3, Mitchell is -11 and Favors is -7.7(which is the best among our starters.) Maybe having our starting PG who runs the pick and roll with our bigs and gets them involved has something to do with that?

Favors can and should step up but literally all of our starters are in the same boat for this series overall. Favors was solid in our win and bad in our losses just like the rest of the starters.

Of Favors was also our 2nd best +/- and Net rating against OKC for that series just behind Ingles.

I didn't target him. I was responding another post of someone being upset by his potential absence.

Yes, it would help to have Rubio to run the offense. However, we won't win this game or this series because of Favors. And that's not because Favors is inferior, it's because we need more spacing/athleticism on the floor and he's not a consistent "change the course of a game or series" type player. And you bring up OKC. Yes, he was helpful in that series especially with his Game 2 performance and Game 6 shot. However, he averaged 33mpg in that series with 12ppg and 7rpg. And he was playing against no defense/washed up Melo or limited Jerami Grant. I like having him in the lockerroom and on the team, but some people just jump at opportunities to overvalue the guy.

But, like with anything else I say, I'm happy to be proven wrong if it means we win. Favors better come out tonight and play with some fire. We need it.