What's new

DL and Quin Snyder Rift

Eventually I'm going to get around to making my thread on the state of the Jazz, but Quin gets a lot of blame pie. A lot. Just slightly less than DL.
I think I tend to give him the benefit of the doubt... since I have coached youth sports I know it’s hard to track everything as the game goes on and adjust on the fly. That’s at the lowest levels of coaching... I can’t imagine what it’s like in game for something like this.

I like to think DL’s job as the architect is easier to plan and come up with something rational that on paper makes sense. So his screw ups are more thought out and not as influenced by the enormous pressure of “the moment”.

That said... if you look at the numbers and don’t decide to make a change pre-game when the limelight is off... then what the hell are we doing?

The lack of communication between the two is maddening and I think it likely held us back this year. If I was DL I absolutely would have given Quin a bunch of vets and said “look I gave you everything you wanted... you don’t figure it out and it’s your own damn fault”. Maybe DL wanted to get fired... same pay and extended vacation. He will also get another gig soon. It would be nice to know that Quin would adjust if he had viable options on his bench. Outside of Ersan I’m not sure he has any nba players he didn’t try... and Ersan was unemployed for the majority of the year... so not sure he’s there anymore. In a few years maybe Oni or Brantley become awesome in another place. I don’t think Quin is anti-young player... he played Donovan and Rudy. Grayson played some... even though he was terrible. Like the guys he hasn’t played haven’t exactly been awesome in other spots. Grayson has been better but not much better than I would have expected.

In 87 minutes in the clippers series Niang and Oni combined for 5 pts on 11.7% shooting, 10 rebounds, 5 assists... they also added 17 fouls and 5 turnovers.

So I'm going to go ahead and give Quin some blame pie here too.. I don't know how Morgan/Brantley/Forrest/Ersan could be worse... like it would be really really hard.
Well, prepare to have your imagination shattered. No one was expecting Niang and Oni to be this bad in that Clippers series either but here we are.

Forrest did play versus the clippers btw. And he had a BPM of -6.9 and 102ortg/130dfrg so yes, it could be worse. MUCH worse

I just disagree. Even coaches make mistakes. Sloan was about to cut Byron Russell before an injury happened and he put him into a game. Russell did some things Sloan liked and we all know what happened. He had a pretty good career and was a big part of our championship runs. Watching Brantley I think he could gives at least what Niang gives us and more. Morgan had moments last year and then nothing. I forgot he was on the team. If none of these guys can play than that falls on the organization because you drafted them or signed them.
Coaches make mistakes. Sure. But here's the thing. Not one single player has proven Quin wrong in his seven years with the Jazz so far. Burke, Dante, Lyles, Bradley, Bolomboy, NWG, JWF, Hanlan. Not even one. If there's a guy who gets buried like the way Corbin buried Rudy in his rookie season and then revitalized his career after he left Quin, we may sit down and talk about Quin’s mistakes. But so far we have seen evidence of anything but, and I think it is fair for us to put some respect on Quin’s judgement.

Quin is 100% in the right. DL gave him a killer starting 5 and a two to three person bench, but everything else on the roster is a buncha crud.

I would bet the farm that no one in roster positions 9 through 15 goes on to do anything meaningful in the NBA. It honestly wouldn’t surprise me if not a one of them could find another NBA roster spot. That is how bad the deep bench is.
I mean, how can any jazzfan look at the career of Lyles, Bolomboy, Bradley and Dante, and tell me that Quin should've played those guys more?

Well, prepare to have your imagination shattered. No one was expecting Niang and Oni to be this bad in that Clippers series either but here we are.

Forrest did play versus the clippers btw. And he had a BPM of -6.9 and 102ortg/130dfrg so yes, it could be worse. MUCH worse
I understand... but half way through you'd think that Quin would have seen enough. Forrest got 5 minutes of garbage time... and he at least scored 4 points... not sure how that is MUCH worse. Niang was 43/132 and Miye was 62/135... so Forrest was technically MUCH better.

I understand... but half way through you'd think that Quin would have seen enough. Forrest got 5 minutes of garbage time... and he at least scored 4 points... not sure how that is MUCH worse. Niang was 43/132 and Miye was 62/135... so Forrest was technically MUCH better.
Forrest was “better” in garbage minutes than Niang/Oni in regular rotation minutes, but could be much worse had he played regular minutes against Clippers main guys, especially consider the fact that Niang had been our God of garbage time for the last three years.

And generally you would have to play good basketball or at least not suck too much during those garbage time to convince the coach to give you rotation minutes. And Forrest certainly hadn't done enough to earn them, so Quin didn't play him. Nothing wrong with that.

When we become a team that give guys minutes not because they played well, but because “it can't be worse”, you know it's not on the coach.

Last edited: