What's new

DL and Quin Snyder Rift

It’s pretty obvious that Q gets ride-or-die syndrome.
Agreed. Exum and Bradley are 2 that come to mind.
Especially Exum, though at least he eventually gave up him. It was just way too late.

Did Kevin O'Connor have the same syndrome? (I don't remember). If so, could it be partly due to lack of players wanting to come here so the GM feels the need to hang on to the ones already here?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

I think both are to blame. Quin should be trying more guys out. Like I said, not a Brantley fan, but he did show some promise when he got minutes. Why not give him some actual minutes? Nearly everyone here shares DL's frustration. Why did we play Tony Bradley over Juwan Morgan constantly?

It’s pretty obvious that Q gets ride-or-die syndrome.
I think there is also a weird issue where we feel like if we have rotation nba players on the bench and they aren't in the rotation... then we need to switch them out for young unproven guys... who are fine sitting on the bench.

Quin needs to be more flexible but he needs some better talent to move him in that direction too. I think if DL had provided some veteran options for Quin then it might be Quin on the hotseat and not DL out in the cold. I would have done it as a CYA measure.

Sounds as though Donovan and Dwayne kinda pushed DL out too... listening to Wind Horse on his pod... take it for what its worth... that fool loves to talk.

Agreed. Exum and Bradley are 2 that come to mind.
Especially Exum, though at least he eventually gave up him. It was just way too late.

Did Kevin O'Connor have the same syndrome? (I don't remember). If so, could it be partly due to lack of players wanting to come here so the GM feels the need to hang on to the ones already here?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app
KOC had his pet players but they overlapped with Jerry's (Collins, Harpring). KOC would make stupid comments going into an off-season like "re-signing Jarron Collins is our top priority this summer." He did bring back the same team three years in a row while we had the exact same outcome (getting bumped by the Lakers in the playoffs) but in successively less games each year.

Sounds as though Donovan and Dwayne kinda pushed DL out too... listening to Wind Horse on his pod... take it for what its worth... that fool loves to talk.
What'd he say? If so, 'tis exactly as I said: having someone like Wade around means you're going to get laughed at when you wear the emperor's new clothes.

How in the hell you going to know who is a Zanick guy or DL guy? DL is the person who makes the decision. Everyone on the roster is one of his guys currently.

Because Zanik gave a press conference the day after that draft and said they liked Brantley for his body and potential.

You are just a charmer. I mean Maxwell, a known abuser of women is telling twitter to stop Asian hate. So I guess Asian women are the only ones safe with him.

You follow who you want to follow, but don't be throwing Maxwell around here like some sort of truth teller, dickwad.
Mad Max sounds like a real *******. I don’t disagree with you. His tweets are funny . I’m not defending him tho. People comment about Stockton and Malone with reverence all the time in here, is that different or somehow better?

Mad Max sounds like a real *******. I don’t disagree with you. His tweets are funny . I’m not defending him tho. People comment about Stockton and Malone with reverence all the time in here, is that different or somehow better?
Skeptic of closing down youth sports vs. kidnapping? Is that the question?

To be fair Brantley hasn't really had much playing time with the starters or bench to make a fair analysis of what he can and cannot do. I think he has some playmaking abilities but until he plays with and against the big boys one will only be able to speculate.
Guys leaving this league without ever getting the chance with starters or the bench all the time. Not unusual. PJ Tucker went to Europe after averaging five minutes per game with Toronto in his rookie year. Maybe one day Brantley would do the same and come back to prove Quin wrong. But in most case scenarios they just ain't good enough.

Quin is 100% in the right. DL gave him a killer starting 5 and a two to three person bench, but everything else on the roster is a buncha crud.

I would bet the farm that no one in roster positions 9 through 15 goes on to do anything meaningful in the NBA. It honestly wouldn’t surprise me if not a one of them could find another NBA roster spot. That is how bad the deep bench is.

What'd he say? If so, 'tis exactly as I said: having someone like Wade around means you're going to get laughed at when you wear the emperor's new clothes.
Kinda exactly what you said tbh. He said DL got on the wrong side of Donovan... so that isn't what you said. Basically that Ryan is listening to Wade and while he's an owner he got kind of a sweetheart deal on the purchase so Ryan also wanted him as an advisor. I don't think he said what you have implied but I think you can get the sense that something like that happened... more voices in the room... not all of them yes men now.

I think there is also a weird issue where we feel like if we have rotation nba players on the bench and they aren't in the rotation... then we need to switch them out for young unproven guys... who are fine sitting on the bench.

Quin needs to be more flexible but he needs some better talent to move him in that direction too. I think if DL had provided some veteran options for Quin then it might be Quin on the hotseat and not DL out in the cold. I would have done it as a CYA measure.

Like Irsan and Shaq? Shaq had some garbage time, and he didn't look great, but I don't know why we never tried Irsan in a rotation.

Guys leaving this league without ever getting the chance with starters or the bench all the time. Not unusual. PJ Tucker went to Europe after averaging five minutes per game with Toronto in his rookie year. Maybe one day Brantley would do the same and come back to prove Quin wrong. But in most case scenarios they just ain't good enough.
I just disagree. Even coaches make mistakes. Sloan was about to cut Byron Russell before an injury happened and he put him into a game. Russell did some things Sloan liked and we all know what happened. He had a pretty good career and was a big part of our championship runs. Watching Brantley I think he could gives at least what Niang gives us and more. Morgan had moments last year and then nothing. I forgot he was on the team. If none of these guys can play than that falls on the organization because you drafted them or signed them.

Quin is 100% in the right. DL gave him a killer starting 5 and a two to three person bench, but everything else on the roster is a buncha crud.

I would bet the farm that no one in roster positions 9 through 15 goes on to do anything meaningful in the NBA. It honestly wouldn’t surprise me if not a one of them could find another NBA roster spot. That is how bad the deep bench is.
I tend to agree then why not admit you were wrong and bring in some guys who can play in the NBA. I still it is unfair to get rid of Udoka, Hughes. I would keep Forrest and hire him a shooting coach. I think he brings some NBA skills. He has gotten to the rim and his defense is good. I wish they had given some of Niang minutes to Morgan or Brantley to see if they could produce more. But I am fine letting the walk. I really wish the Jazz never re-signed Favors. He is in the way of seeing Udoka play.

I tend to agree then why not admit you were wrong and bring in some guys who can play in the NBA. I still it is unfair to get rid of Udoka, Hughes. I would keep Forrest and hire him a shooting coach. I think he brings some NBA skills. He has gotten to the rim and his defense is good. I wish they had given some of Niang minutes to Morgan or Brantley to see if they could produce more. But I am fine letting the walk. I really wish the Jazz never re-signed Favors. He is in the way of seeing Udoka play.
I agree. In my ideal world, only Doke and Forrest come back from the deep bench. Oni, Brantley, Morgan, Thomas all gone. Ilyasova moves on. Niang comes back, but for no more than 2.5 mil per season. We then re-fill the bench with vets that can play and a new young guy or two to see if we can get a “hit” somewhere. Even if we strike out with vets, it’d be impossible to do any worse than we get from our current deep bench (which is nothing) by just adding an entirely new batch of G-league developmental guys.

I’d resign Conley. If Conley doesn’t want to sign, I trade him for whatever we can get. If we re-sign Conley, I think we move one of Bojan, Ingles, or Clarkson for tax purposes and/or to acquire some perimeter defense. Fav needs to be moved no matter what even if it means attaching a future second and replaced with the best small ball center that can be had for the mini-MLE or vet minimum.

Last edited:
I just disagree. Even coaches make mistakes. Sloan was about to cut Byron Russell before an injury happened and he put him into a game. Russell did some things Sloan liked and we all know what happened. He had a pretty good career and was a big part of our championship runs. Watching Brantley I think he could gives at least what Niang gives us and more. Morgan had moments last year and then nothing. I forgot he was on the team. If none of these guys can play than that falls on the organization because you drafted them or signed them.
In 87 minutes in the clippers series Niang and Oni combined for 5 pts on 11.7% shooting, 10 rebounds, 5 assists... they also added 17 fouls and 5 turnovers.

So I'm going to go ahead and give Quin some blame pie here too.. I don't know how Morgan/Brantley/Forrest/Ersan could be worse... like it would be really really hard.

In 87 minutes in the clippers series Niang and Oni combined for 5 pts on 11.7% shooting, 10 rebounds, 5 assists... they also added 17 fouls and 5 turnovers.

So I'm going to go ahead and give Quin some blame pie here too.. I don't know how Morgan/Brantley/Forrest/Ersan could be worse... like it would be really really hard.
Eventually I'm going to get around to making my thread on the state of the Jazz, but Quin gets a lot of blame pie. A lot. Just slightly less than DL.