What's new

DL and Quin Snyder Rift

For grins I just went back and looked at the box scores from the preseason games (I know it's preseason and the Jazz were playing against guys destined to be clerks at Best Buy) and who shined in a limited amount of PT? Dok, Hughes, Brantley, Forrest, Morgan and the late great NWG. Shaq and Oni really didn't. Quin has been known to bury guys that have had good exhibition games (see Justin Holiday, Kevin Murphy, Dee Bost, Brock Motum, Tibor Pleiss, Jack Cooley and Bryce Cotton) because they didn't fit the agenda or they just "weren't NBA talents." So after preseason was DL pushing to get the youngsters some PT and Quin said over my dead body or was Quin upset over the clown car handling of talent on the margins like Green, Davis, Bradley and Tucker in this past off season.
You sure you are not making a point in Quin's defense?

I mean with the exception of Justin Holiday, guys like Kevin Murphy, Dee Bost, Brock Motum, Tibor Pleiss, Jack Cooley and Bryce Cotton were let go not because they didn't fit Quin's agenda, but it's more on the matter of them not being NBA talents.

And in all honesty, neither were Tucker, Oni, Brantley, NWG.

lets be real here.
I like some of the moves DL has made, DL has done a great job finding rudy and mitchell. I think he wants to go back home to houston...which I see happening.

then on the other side you look at the roster and go wtf....?
we had to freaking play
Niang and ONI in the playoffs, two guys who shouldn't even be on an NBA roster....

lets be real here.
I like some of the moves DL has made, DL has done a great job finding rudy and mitchell. I think he wants to go back home to houston...which I see happening.

we had to freaking play
Niang and ONI in the playoffs, two guys who shouldn't even be on an NBA roster....
For the two big hits, Lindsey has had a lot of misses. I think Dennis is solid, but I think a freshening of the FO would be okay. I would not mind someone like Battier as GM, and have Lindsey stay, I'm not sure really sure what an entire new FO would look like. Battier is the name I've heard and think I would be okay with.

I think that is a big one... I also think Dante Exum was a big issue too.
And I bet there's disagreement on Jeff Green as well.

No coach will play a guy almost 20min in a highly contested game where they just lost by 3 points only to get rid of him one day later.

I mean lot of JFZers gave Quin the crap for not using Jeff Green. But just look at his Utah Jazz game log here.

It looks more like the game log of a solid rotation player than a guy who's not wanted by his coach.

Then one day later DL brought in a cheaper Rayjon Tucker as Jeff Greens replacement, who clearly didn't excite Quin and only received limited minutes.

And I can't imagine Quin not bringing on Jeff Green in that Clippers series had we kept him on the team.

And I bet there's disagreement on Jeff Green as well.

No coach will play a guy almost 20min in a highly contested game where they just lost by 3 points only to get rid of him one day later.

I mean lot of JFZers gave Quin the crap for not using Jeff Green. But just look at his Utah Jazz game log here.

It looks more like the game log of a solid rotation player than a guy who's not wanted by his coach.

Then one day later DL brought in a cheaper Rayjon Tucker as Jeff Greens replacement, who clearly didn't excite Quin and only received limited minutes.

And I can't imagine Quin not bringing on Jeff Green in that Clippers series had we kept him on the team.
When they signed Tucker, I thought he must be the second coming of Kobe. He was the second coming of Coby Karl.

I don't care about what he did in the past. I care about what he's going to do shortly.

He better have a plan in place to provide two playable perimeter defenders and at least one small ball center option.

If he doesn't have plan of action that covers those spots above, fire him immediately. It's the same to do list he had going into last offseason.

When they signed Tucker, I thought he must be the second coming of Kobe. He was the second coming of Coby Karl.
Funny how DL waived Uncle Jeff so he could sign Rayjon Tucker, only to spend a second round pick six months later just to get rid of him.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Matt Thomas receiving the same treatment in the next few days.

Last edited:
Funny how DL waived Uncle Jeff so he could sign Rayjon Tucker, only to spend a second round pick six months later to just to get rid of him.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Matt Thomas receiving the same treatment in the next few days.
the funny part was there was very little guaranteed money so you think... well maybe they think they can get out of the tax completely... but they couldn't. I honestly think they messed up on the math... then realized how dumb they'd look being $500k-1M over the tax so you sign Shaq, trade for Thomas, sign Ersan...

the funny part was there was very little guaranteed money so you think... well maybe they think they can get out of the tax completely... but they couldn't. I honestly think they messed up on the math... then realized how dumb they'd look being $500k-1M over the tax so you sign Shaq, trade for Thomas, sign Ersan...
The Hoopshype article said Tucker's career earnings was just a shade beyond $1.2 million, so two minimum contracts plus playoff money. It sounds like the front office needs some cyphering classes.

What's more funny is the fact that Jeff Green now being more useful than Thomas, Tucker and Ersan put together and costing you less. What a joke.

lets be real here.

we had to freaking play
Let's be even more real, he got lucky with Gobert and Mitchell. Hell at the beginning we didn't know what we had in Gobert for 2 full seasons and Mitchell was a pure surprise god-send. Remember this is the same guy that passed up Smart, Randle, LaVine, hell even Dinwiddie and Grant who both went in the second round, for Exum, then tripled down on that failed pick. He also picked Shabazz Muhammed 1 pick ahead of Giannis. We could have had Giannis and Rudy in the same draft. **** me. Then he picked Trey Lyles one pick ahead of Devin Booker. In what universe was Lyles the BPA ahead of Booker. That was a head-scratcher even during the draft from everyone except Lindsey apparently, as many talked about how far Booker had fallen in that draft.

So frankly we could have had Giannis, Gobert, and booker from the draft alone, picks all within our grasp, Giannis and booker taken literally 1 pick after us.

So by no stretch is he some kind of draft savant when he had several big-time whiffs that many pundits and posters here called out even at the time of the picks.

Fact is, he got lucky with Gobert and Mitchell as the rest of his drafting record, as well as player selection and trade/acquisitions proves out.

And as you rightly called out, doing nothing to upgrade us from Oni, when he could have pulled the trigger on a player like Austin Rivers who was at least playable in the playoffs in place of niang or Oni, among others.

DL and QS both need to go.

They also had Lu Dort in for workouts and were really high on him... they had 3 picks in the 50s and none of them were Dort
They had decent scouting but very questionable decision making.

DL only likes two type of players. Undersized guards who are very one dimensional and can't switch on D. DM, Conley, Burke, Grayson Allen, Hughes, Hanlan, JWF, NWG, Thomas, Forrest. Aka the "handpad".

Or unskilled tweeners who don't have a NBA position. Lyles, Dante, Bradley, Brantley, Bolomboy, Niang, Morgan. Aka the "balance test".

The Jazz screwed up with Jeff Green and Ed Davis. Maybe it was late in free agency and the Jazz didn't have better options.
Mudiay and Shaq Harrison were also last-minute decisions. As 3rd point guards, maybe you don't expect much from either.
Guys like Torrey Craig and GR3 could have been pretty easy pick-ups this season. Not sure what Matt Thomas gets you.
I think that’s the biggest part of the problem concerning a rift. I know folks want to point a finger at DL, but humor me for a second. If you agree that we overpaid for an aging and injury prone Conley, Coach input has to be the biggest part of an acquisition that large. Sure, you can blame DL or Zanuck or both for going best prospect available in the last draft instead of choosing a 200 lb soaking wet McDaniels. But concerning free agents, I think a good argument could be made that Snyder is viewed as a career ender, and if we were low on the list of destinations before we have to be last straw at this point.

We’ve all seen how he used Ilyasova who had acquitted himself quite nicely in the one game he started for us. How about Mudiay? Anybody that doesn’t believe Mudiay would have been a better option than Oni this year? We destroyed Davis’ confidence ended his poor career after he had been so instrumental to Brooklyn’s success the year prior. Almost did the same to Jeff Green save for the belief of D’Antoni. Then we turn around and reinvent our offense to something that would have been custom made for Jeff Green and his style of play.

Yeah, if I’m DL, I’m fed up with Snyder!

They had decent scouting but very questionable decision making.

DL only likes two type of players. Undersized guards who are very one dimensional and can't switch on D. DM, Conley, Burke, Grayson Allen, Hughes, Hanlan, JWF, NWG, Thomas, Forrest. Aka the "handpad".

Or unskilled tweeners who don't have a NBA position. Lyles, Dante, Bradley, Brantley, Bolomboy, Niang, Morgan. Aka the "balance test".
I was more commenting on how DL casts a wide net but hasn't pulled in a lot of big fish. He's found some hidden gems.