What's new

DL certainly has dodged some bullets recently

Jazz would have probably (happily) put half their cap into Hayward, Hill and Hood. Ouch.

Definitely dodged some bullets there.

I’m happy that it didn’t work out and the team can afford to pivot to building around Gobert/Mitchell. Amazing how much can happen in a single year. What a ride!

Might be unpopular but Hill and Hood would hurt but not Hayward.

If I could transplant Hayward back to the Jazz now I would. He’d offset Mitchell and Gobert nicely.

If I could transplant Hayward back to the Jazz now I would. He’d offset Mitchell and Gobert nicely.

Hill is really the only bullet dodged.

Haywood did us wrong. Leaving is one thing. Leaving the way he did is entirely different. At the very least he could have been honest with the Jazz and demanded a sign and trade so that they weren't left empty handed after all they had invested in him. Everything about the way he handled that situation was wrong. I will never cheer for that schmuck again.

I think Hayward pre-July 4th is a great option for the Jazz (in hindsight) because we now know how solid Mitchell and Rubio were in the backcourt. Even at the high salary because of how cheap Donovan is right now.

I love Jingles, but if the Jazz has a guy like (healthy) Hayward, PG13, Jimmy Butler starting at the 3 they’re a legit championship contender. Especially since Jingles becomes a serious contender for 6th man of the year off the bench.

With that said, I agree with those who feel he handled everything wrong in his decision and shouldn’t eat up anymore of our time or concerns.

I saw D-Favs posted a IG story of a view of the SLC valley....I believe he’s the only Jazz man still in SLC since the season ended....he’s another tough decision by DL. I think there’s a price you can’t go past, but man Favs has been good to this fan base and organization and legitimately seems to enjoy being here. He’s just not quite what we need as a team right now, at the same time I hate to see a guy go that’s been through the lows of the last 7 years and not see him continue to be here. I’d be a bad GM, having real people attached to those decisions, they would be difficult to make, especially with guys like Favs who have been nothing but great about being here. He was put in a much tougher spot than Hood this season and look at the difference in how each of them handled it.

D-Favs and Exum are both real tough decisions, glad I’m not the one making it.

I agree, but you have to admit there were times that it looked like Hood had that potential. I think he had the ability but not the mental make-up which was why he has been so inconsistent during his career
Yes, this post is spot-on. His mentality was a major limiting factor. How do you get a person to have that Donovan Mitchell mentality? I don't think it is teachable. You've got it or you don't.

Then he's extremely mentally weak and good riddance. That is also something they needed to know before they signed him to an extension.

I generally agree. I think the Jazz FO knew about this before this year, and we all had a feeling that he was going to be at best good, not great.

I'm pretty sure you and I aren't going to come to an agreement on this one. I believe the Jazz were right to give Hood the opportunity they did. Unfortunately, it didn't work out. Fortunately Plan B did. And even more fortunately, they found a way to flip Hood for a better fit. Masterful work by the Jazz coaching staff and FO.

I think you just like arguing with yourself and projecting things into my posts that are not there. I've been talking about the expectations the Jazz set that Hood could be All-Star level. I said nothing against giving him the opportunity, which I think was smart.

I saw D-Favs posted a IG story of a view of the SLC valley....I believe he’s the only Jazz man still in SLC since the season ended....he’s another tough decision by DL. I think there’s a price you can’t go past, but man Favs has been good to this fan base and organization and legitimately seems to enjoy being here. He’s just not quite what we need as a team right now, at the same time I hate to see a guy go that’s been through the lows of the last 7 years and not see him continue to be here. I’d be a bad GM, having real people attached to those decisions, they would be difficult to make, especially with guys like Favs who have been nothing but great about being here. He was put in a much tougher spot than Hood this season and look at the difference in how each of them handled it.

D-Favs and Exum are both real tough decisions, glad I’m not the one making it.

I think it’s fairly obvious that the biggest need the Jazz have right now is a stretch 4 that can shoot from 3, create his own shot, and relieve some of the scoring burden that’s falling on Mitchell. I know financially it’s not gonna work, but I’ve become so emotionally attached to Fav’s that’s it’s gonna be really hard to see him go.

My heart’s gonna get broken, but I’m still holding out hope that the market isn’t great for Favors. Maybe he looks at the Jazz and decides that signing a team friendly deal for a chance to return to a squad that clearly has something special going on is a better option for him than singing with a bad team. I know it’s a pipe dream, but I can’t help but salivate at the idea of Utah acquiring their stretch 4 of the future, while resigning Favors to eat up plenty of minutes at the backup 4 and 5 spots. If he was willing to accept a role like that, he’d probably play just as many minutes as he already does, and there’s still a lot of scenario’s that would put him on the court to close out games. Again, I know I’m dreaming but getting Favors to buy into that role probably makes the Jazz a 60+ win team assuming the other necessary moves are done correctly and the team enjoys decent luck on the injury front.

I think you just like arguing with yourself and projecting things into my posts that are not there. I've been talking about the expectations the Jazz set that Hood could be All-Star level. I said nothing against giving him the opportunity, which I think was smart.
Oh brother.

I think Hayward pre-July 4th is a great option for the Jazz (in hindsight) because we now know how solid Mitchell and Rubio were in the backcourt. Even at the high salary because of how cheap Donovan is right now.

I love Jingles, but if the Jazz has a guy like (healthy) Hayward, PG13, Jimmy Butler starting at the 3 they’re a legit championship contender. Especially since Jingles becomes a serious contender for 6th man of the year off the bench.

With that said, I agree with those who feel he handled everything wrong in his decision and shouldn’t eat up anymore of our time or concerns.
Yep. We all have to eat crow from time to time. Mine was for believing in and defending Haywood's character prior to his decision. Man, was I ever wrong. I could live with it if he had made his decision and then treated the Jazz with respect, but he did the opposite.

I think it’s fairly obvious that the biggest need the Jazz have right now is a stretch 4 that can shoot from 3, create his own shot, and relieve some of the scoring burden that’s falling on Mitchell. I know financially it’s not gonna work, but I’ve become so emotionally attached to Fav’s that’s it’s gonna be really hard to see him go.

My heart’s gonna get broken, but I’m still holding out hope that the market isn’t great for Favors. Maybe he looks at the Jazz and decides that signing a team friendly deal for a chance to return to a squad that clearly has something special going on is a better option for him than singing with a bad team. I know it’s a pipe dream, but I can’t help but salivate at the idea of Utah acquiring their stretch 4 of the future, while resigning Favors to eat up plenty of minutes at the backup 4 and 5 spots. If he was willing to accept a role like that, he’d probably play just as many minutes as he already does, and there’s still a lot of scenario’s that would put him on the court to close out games. Again, I know I’m dreaming but getting Favors to buy into that role probably makes the Jazz a 60+ win team assuming the other necessary moves are done correctly and the team enjoys decent luck on the injury front.

with you 100% on this