DL out… kinda?

Saint Cy of JFC

Some people have a hard time admitting their baby is ugly. I see it in management a lot, with either processes, people, or entire operations. Sometimes the top guy needs to go so someone else can slay the sacred cow and get things back on track again. Look at Exum. I'm shocked he finally agreed to move him, frankly. No one understood why he kept throwing money at him, but probably to try to salvage the 2nd highest pick in franchise history so he didn't look as bad for it, when he should have just admitted it was a **** pick and moved on years before he did. Of course I'm ok with the timing because it got us Clarkson, which is easily the most lop-sided trade in our favor in franchise history. But who knows what else we could have done if we had let Exum walk when his contract ended before like we should have.
If this is the main critique of DL then he had an amazing career lmfao.

Saint Cy of JFC

It's hilarious to me that Exum is brought up the most as DL's black mark when it's not even close. It's Kanter/Burks/Burke/The dedication to Favors.

Not sure Exum is even in the top 10 of his bad moves. It was the most logical decision at teh time and one most GM's would have made. He salvaged it as well as any GM could.

White Chocolate

Respect All, Fear None
Contributor
It's hilarious to me that Exum is brought up the most as DL's black mark when it's not even close. It's Kanter/Burks/Burke/The dedication to Favors.

Not sure Exum is even in the top 10 of his bad moves. It was the most logical decision at teh time and one most GM's would have made. He salvaged it as well as any GM could.

I agree. Exum was a no-brainer pick at 5. Almost everyone thought he was going top-4.

Saint Cy of JFC

Like, how many years did Utah waste with Favors at the 4 instead of trying to aggressively move on? That's probably the most damning thing about DL's tenure. Everything else is kind of just a mistake that makes sense. Sometimes you evaluate prospects wrong. No one is perfect and he nailed a ton of them. But to stick with two center lineups for so long is another thing.

Handlogten's Heros

2019 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
Like, how many years did Utah waste with Favors at the 4 instead of trying to aggressively move on? That's probably the most damning thing about DL's tenure. Everything else is kind of just a mistake that makes sense. Sometimes you evaluate prospects wrong. No one is perfect and he nailed a ton of them. But to stick with two center lineups for so long is another thing.
I wouldn't even say one specific move is his "black mark". I would say its being a year or two behind the trends and not making changes quickly enough. Too much letting it bake. Favs at the 4 is a grand example.