What's new

Do we trust our organizational culture?

Link? I can't find anything anywhere.

He's an RFA -- we're unlikely to hear about any offers until July 7.
It was reported by Woj. He and Shams are really the only guys I trust. They generally only publish very reliable material. Of course, things could always change between now and July 7th.

Adrian Wojnarowski

@wojespnbot
Jun 24
More
Nemanja Bjelica will sign with the New York Knicks, league sources tell ESPN.

It was reported by Woj. He and Shams are really the only guys I trust. They generally only publish very reliable material. Of course, things could always change between now and July 7th.

Well what you're quoting doesn't seem to exist on twitter any more. So either it's been removed, or you've been had, methinks.

It makes no sense for a report on June 24 that an RFA will sign with a team.

It was reported he was going to sign an offer sheet with New York. Trying to find the tweet and see who it came from. It was early in the a.m. right after FA opened. I was admittedly a bit bleary-eyed, but I did see it. Maybe an unconfirmed rumor.

Nope, here it is. It's from Woj
There are two guys I tend to always believe: Woj and Shams.
@wojespnbot? Lol

Sent from my SM-G960U using JazzFanz mobile app

I trust the organizations culture that if they were able to get a big time player and that they could keep said player long term. I don't trust the state of Utah's culture to to keep that player long term.

OKC is going to have a payroll of $315m this year in salaries and tax penalties. That would be a record. Not even the Russian mafia boss had that high of a payroll for the Nets. That's not sustainable.

As for the Jazz...well, it's still Utah. Sorry folks, the narrative has changed a little, but not much. You heard it in the interview with Rudy. Media expects players to leave, just like Gordon. Donovan did his best, but PG never seriously considered Utah, nor did Bjelica.

There are only a select group of players who would play in Utah. It does no good trading a bunch of assets for a higher profile guy if he's just going to leave. We have a great team right now. IMO, Lindsey needs to set his sights on keeping Favors and Exum and, at the deadline, using Burks and other expirings to trade for a key veteran.

I’m from Louisville - and became a Jazz fan because of Donovan- so I think I’m unbiased about this.

I don’t understand Utahans’ inferiority complex about their state (and/ or SLC). Utah is a beautiful place, a ton that differentiates it from other states. Beautiful mountains& scenery, great skiing (I’ve been to Deer Valley a few times to ski). I love Louisville but I think the majority of people in this country would choose SLC if given the choice between living in the two cities.

OKC on the other hand has nothing on SLC, or Louisville for that matter. I still can’t believe they got an NBA team before Louisville.

So why the insecurity?

Jazz are OK with just making the playoffs ...….signing Booker who does nothing to make the Jazz better gives ammunition to those of us that think this .
Umm no, that's why Lindsey came in and rebuilt. They could have easily just retooled by keeping Millsap, Foye and other vets. All they really needed to do under that scenario was find a PG, since the Mo Williams experiment was a disaster. I criticize Lindsey a lot, but the truth is, the Jazz have improved EVERY year under the Quin/Lindsey reign. Well, I guess last season they were 3 games worse than previous. But bloody hell, look at what they overcame, losing their top-2 scorers.

To say they are just ok with making the playoffs is just plain wrong. Jazz were probably a top-5 team; I'd rank GS, Houston, Cavs and Boston ahead of them. Maybe you could make a case for Raptors, Sixers and Portland? What do you expect from Lindsey? Is he supposed to be a hypnotist who can convince Lebron, PG or Kawhi to come to Utah? Does he have magical powers to get Parker to accept a MLE deal and Milwaukee not to match? He upgraded the team by getting Crowder for Hill. I know the joke about the team KOC assembled is that he said a number of times (paraphrasing), "we don't really know what we have until everyone's healthy." And I'll say that about the current team. The bench is automatically better with a healthy Exum. Donovan and Rudy were both hurt/out against Houston. Crowder has the potential to get back to the Boston Crowder who was so good. Donovan will make another leap. O'Neale will get better. Allen contributes immediately with outside shooting. The top is very competitive, but Utah can be top-5 again.

I’m from Louisville - and became a Jazz fan because of Donovan- so I think I’m unbiased about this.

I don’t understand Utahans’ inferiority complex about their state (and/ or SLC). Utah is a beautiful place, a ton that differentiates it from other states. Beautiful mountains& scenery, great skiing (I’ve been to Deer Valley a few times to ski). I love Louisville but I think the majority of people in this country would choose SLC if given the choice between living in the two cities.

OKC on the other hand has nothing on SLC, or Louisville for that matter. I still can’t believe they got an NBA team before Louisville.

So why the insecurity?
It's not insecurity. It's just a fact that most african-american basketball players don't like Utah for the lack of nightlife, the lack of minorities, the strange liquor laws, and the preconceived notion that everything in SLC and Utah is run by conservative Mormons. Let's face it, there is a bias that Mormons are weird and not even Christians. When I lived in SCAL, that was pretty much what the Baptists and other religions taught about Mormonism.

Utah has NEVER been a mecca for free agents. It was that way in the Stockton/Malone days when a couple of players openly refused trades. And it's still that way. The narrative has changed a little, but it takes a certain kind of player (generally family-oriented guys who eschew the clubs) to want to play in Utah. And the media continues to fuel the fire. Donovan and Rudy both are fielding questions about whether or not they want to leave and wanting them to say something negative about the team or city.

That’s a fake account bruh. Can you not see “bot” at the end? Lmao

It's not insecurity. It's just a fact that most african-american basketball players don't like Utah for the lack of nightlife, the lack of minorities, the strange liquor laws, and the preconceived notion that everything in SLC and Utah is run by conservative Mormons. Let's face it, there is a bias that Mormons are weird and not even Christians. When I lived in SCAL, that was pretty much what the Baptists and other religions taught about Mormonism.

Utah has NEVER been a mecca for free agents. It was that way in the Stockton/Malone days when a couple of players openly refused trades. And it's still that way. The narrative has changed a little, but it takes a certain kind of player (generally family-oriented guys who eschew the clubs) to want to play in Utah. And the media continues to fuel the fire. Donovan and Rudy both are fielding questions about whether or not they want to leave and wanting them to say something negative about the team or city.

NYC, LA, SF, MIA, maybe 1-2 more, probably have demonstrably better night life than SLC. Outside of that, I don’t see nightlife being a differentiating factor. I really don’t think an NBA free agent would choose Phoenix, Milwaukee, OKC, etc. over SLC on the basis of nightlife (by the way, Boston has horrible night life).

As for the Mormon thing, maybe I’m naive, but I really think people care way less than you think they care.

I think we have one of the best organizational cultures in the league.

Raja Bell was a turd, Hayward made up his mind ages ago that he was leaving, and D Will has expressed remorse about how his tenure here ended. Outside of those 3, I can't remember a Jazzman/former Jazzman not raving about his time with the franchise.

I think we're generally regarded as having one of the very best ownership groups, management teams, and coaching staffs in the league and there's great continuity across all 3 of those levels. It's a huge asset for us.
Kanter, Burke and CJ Miles had stuff to say on the way out.

Kanter and Burke were ********. Miles was hurt Jazz didn't give him a big contract after his shooting stats went down 5 years in a row,
You said you couldn't remember any but those 3. I just provided a reminder.
Trey Lyles also had less than Flattering things to say after leaving.

There are going to be guys who aren't happy after leaving.

NYC, LA, SF, MIA, maybe 1-2 more, probably have demonstrably better night life than SLC. Outside of that, I don’t see nightlife being a differentiating factor. I really don’t think an NBA free agent would choose Phoenix, Milwaukee, OKC, etc. over SLC on the basis of nightlife (by the way, Boston has horrible night life).

As for the Mormon thing, maybe I’m naive, but I really think people care way less than you think they care.
Ok, then cite cultural differences as Utah just doesn't have a huge african-american population. And the Mormon stigma is HUGE. There's a reason Jazz have been successful with foreign players, but not so much with young african-americans. Donovan is an exception. But you also have to look at the family and environment he came from. It was upper middle-class. He was one of a few african-americans in his private school. SLC is culture shock for a lot of athletes.

You said you couldn't remember any but those 3. I just provided a reminder.
Trey Lyles also had less than Flattering things to say after leaving.

There are going to be guys who aren't happy after leaving.
You quoted the wrong person. bigmike said he couldn't remember anyone. And add Trey Lyles to the ******* list. Heaven forbid Quin asked him to play defense and had a 3hr practice. Amnesty International needs to look into that. It's clearly an abusive environment the Jazz have.

You quoted the wrong person. bigmike said he couldn't remember anyone. And add Trey Lyles to the ******* list. Heaven forbid Quin asked him to play defense and had a 3hr practice. Amnesty International needs to look into that. It's clearly an abusive environment the Jazz have.
I quoted the post you quoted of mine. Sorry you weren't the person who didn't remember. But I did just comment on his post giving him a reminder.

You're correct there were reasons they were not happy. But they still didn't leave without saying something as he indicated.

Ok, then cite cultural differences as Utah just doesn't have a huge african-american population. And the Mormon stigma is HUGE. There's a reason Jazz have been successful with foreign players, but not so much with young african-americans. Donovan is an exception. But you also have to look at the family and environment he came from. It was upper middle-class. He was one of a few african-americans in his private school. SLC is culture shock for a lot of athletes.

I think you are overthinking it. In the past, there were a few cities with an advantage in attracting free agents because playing in bigger markets could offer better money making potential though endorsements, etc. Smaller market cities like SLC were less likely to attract big free agents. (Have there been coveted players in the past who have chosen other small market teams specifically because of cultural reasons?)

Only very recently (because of Social media, etc.), market size has become less important for a player’s marketability, which is why guys like PG might resign with OKC.

I don’t believe SLC has any inherent disadvantage versus other small markets. All else equal, I think many free agents would choose SLC over most small market cities. Many high profile free agents live in predominantly white neighborhoods, and the privacy and natural beauty would be a selling point.

Most importantly, though, free agents who are looking at smaller markets are looking at potential for success on the basketball court rather than cultural differences. If Donovan continues to improve and can offer a prized free agent a chance at being an important piece on a great team, that will carry more weight than any cultural differences.

OKC does 2 things better than fellow small market team the Jazz:

1) OKC takes big swings so their players feel like there is always the possibility of getting an impact player. Even if Carmelo deal didn’t work, that was Big swing that showed PG and Russ that they are willing to try and make a win now splash.
2) Utah is possibly the worst team in the NBA at marketing their players. OKC turned Durant and Westbrook into household names and national pitchmen. Even Karl Malone never reached the national star status he deserved. If Utah invested more in PR for their players, I think Utah would have a better shot at signing “name” free agents.

but the truth is, the Jazz have improved EVERY year under the Quin/Lindsey reign.

BS ,they've improved ever since Gobert fell into their lap, fact is when Rudy was injured we all saw what kind of team the Jazz were without Gobert.Gobert would make every coach in the NBA look smart and good.