What's new

Does anyone think Kanter and/or Favors could lead a team to the playoffs?

jrclone

Neither of them have an outside shot, both are very unpolished post players, and they don't seem to have a strong competitive fire. Two of those three things can develop with time, but where are they going to get that fire from?

Burks has that fire, its evident every time he's on the floor that he wants to produce and beat his man. Hayward has that fire to a lesser extent, but not anywhere near the confidence of Burks. Kanter looks like he loves the game, but doesn't take it very seriously. Favors looks like he lacks both confidence and the desire to destroy his opponent.

If we could just take Watson's mentality and inject it into our young players, I would have a lot more confidence in our team's future.

At this moment in time? No

Well they ever be able to? Damn I hope so because those are the baskets our eggs are in so to speak.

I am not sure they have to be that guy. If burks became the go to guy kanter and favors become complimentery pieces. If we draft a 3 that can take ever also then again they are just fine. Both are very young.

Neither of them have an outside shot, both are very unpolished post players, and they don't seem to have a strong competitive fire. Two of those three things can develop with time, but where are they going to get that fire from?

Burks has that fire, its evident every time he's on the floor that he wants to produce and beat his man. Hayward has that fire to a lesser extent, but not anywhere near the confidence of Burks. Kanter looks like he loves the game, but doesn't take it very seriously. Favors looks like he lacks both confidence and the desire to destroy his opponent.

If we could just take Watson's mentality and inject it into our young players, I would have a lot more confidence in our team's future.
At least with Kanter and Favors there is a chance they can do it. With Millsap and Jefferson it is pretty much proven that they can not.

Jefferson is not a team player and is a terrible defender. Millsap dissappears for long stretches and doesn't have the size to ever carry a team through the playoffs.

I believe that the competitive fire can be gained over time. I wish I had seen more of it from Favors to this point. But right now neither are asked to be the guy. They are worried about learning the offense performing on defense and being a part of the team. It is a little difficult to judge their competitve fire this early on. Especially for Kanter.

At least with Kanter and Favors there is a chance they can do it. With Millsap and Jefferson it is pretty much proven that they can not.

Jefferson is not a team player and is a terrible defender. Millsap dissappears for long stretches and doesn't have the size to ever carry a team through the playoffs.

I believe that the competitive fire can be gained over time. I wish I had seen more of it from Favors to this point. But right now neither are asked to be the guy. They are worried about learning the offense performing on defense and being a part of the team. It is a little difficult to judge their competitve fire this early on. Especially for Kanter.

Great point.

Kanter has a very competitive nature, and Im sure the OP hasn't witnessed this over the course of the season. Rebounds valiantly, defends with the best of them, and has a relentless motor. He just lacks finesse, and experience. Favors? A bit more difficult to answer. Personally, I think that our 4/5 Combo will be one of the best defensive tandems in the NBA. Im more worried about offense, however. I have lost almost all faith in Corbin. Regardless, if any of our 2/3 guards pan out, and we get a pick o two in this upcoming draft, I think that we could definitely to some serious damage in the playoffs.

Individually? Not right now. As a tandem? Yes.

Again for me it comes down to roles. I honestly believe that right now they could take on more of a role for the Jazz but they are not asked to do that. If Jefferson and/or Millsap are not on this team I can see both being much better than they are. They are not given the chances needed to improve with in game situations. That has got to change after this season. (Preferably before but I don't see it happening.)

Lillard could be a guy like that. He, along side Burks, could be those alpha males, along with Tony Mitchell who'll be grabbing alley oops and throwing down dunks like a mad man. Favors and kanter will still get 35/25 a night but the guards will be the go to guys. Book it.

Lillard could be a guy like that. He, along side Burks, could be those alpha males, along with Tony Mitchell who'll be grabbing alley oops and throwing down dunks like a mad man. Favors and kanter will still get 35/25 a night but the guards will be the go to guys. Book it.

I could definitely live with that. It's a guard driven league anyway.

I wouldn't paint Kanter with the same brush as Favors and I wouldnt put Hayward in the "competitive" column at all, personally.

Favors lack of fire is my biggest concern of the 2, and I firmly believe that when Kanter gets confidence from his teammates on offense (I'm thinking middle next/early season 3) that he will be a serious piece and one of the best young big men in the league.

I wouldn't paint Kanter with the same brush as Favors and I wouldnt put Hayward in the "competitive" column at all, personally.

Favors lack of fire is my biggest concern of the 2, and I firmly believe that when Kanter gets confidence from his teammates on offense (I'm thinking middle next/early season 3) that he will be a serious piece and one of the best young big men in the league.

Thanks for saying what I feel I can't.

It takes a superstar to singlehandedly lead a team to the playoffs. Favors and Kanter aren't superstars, but they add solid defense and rebounding to our frontcourt and have enough offense to put up 12-15 pts/game each. Combine that with a PG, a shooter and a wing defender, and you've got a playoff team, probably a team that can go at least a round or two. We do need someone to step up as a go-to scorer in a pinch.

The problem right now is that the Jazz's backcourt is a mess. No team starting Raja Bell and giving significant minutes to Earl Watson is going to make the playoffs. Once the Jazz improve their backcourt you'll see what our frontcourt looks like with real floor spacing, ball movement and an opposing defense that needs to be kept honest.

I do think Favors is a potentially excellent paint defender who can anchor the defense.

Very few people thought Jermaine O'Neal would be a 20&10 max player when he was the 3rd center in Portland, nobody thought Boozer would be a 20&10 allstar when he was a rookie in Cleveland, and few thought Tyson Chandler would ever anchor a championship defense when he was shipped out of Chicago so they could make room for an aging Ben Wallace. Not everyone comes in polished like Duncan or with the athleticism of Amare. Most big guys develop and peak on different schedules (physically and emotionally), it all depends on their work ethic, opportunity and the teammates and coaches they're surrounded with.

Both Favors and Kanter have a long ways to go but they're still very young and just beginning to scratch the surface of their potential. Neither guy needs to morph into Dwight Howard or Amare Stoudamire to be considered a success. They can control the boards, provide excellent interior and post defense and provide enough offensive output to still be looked at as the cornerstones of a playoff team. Time will tell but if you expect it all to happen overnight you'll be sorely disapointed.

Very few people thought Jermaine O'Neal would be a 20&10 max player when he was the 3rd center in Portland, nobody thought Boozer would be a 20&10 allstar when he was a rookie in Cleveland, and few thought Tyson Chandler would ever anchor a championship defense when he was shipped out of Chicago so they could make room for an aging Ben Wallace. Not everyone comes in polished like Duncan or with the athleticism of Amare. Most big guys develop and peak on different schedules (physically and emotionally), it all depends on their work ethic, opportunity and the teammates and coaches they're surrounded with.

Both Favors and Kanter have a long ways to go but they're still very young and just beginning to scratch the surface of their potential. Neither guy needs to morph into Dwight Howard or Amare Stoudamire to be considered a success. They can control the boards, provide excellent interior and post defense and provide enough offensive output to still be looked at as the cornerstones of a playoff team. Time will tell but if you expect it all to happen overnight you'll be sorely disapointed.

Yes

Excellent post, I was gonna post some of the Jermaine O'neal type stuff but I'm on my phone. Rep'd.

masallah brother..god bless,,me like your post very much

The O'Neal comparison is great, but we aren't going to have to wait 6 years before they become studs do we?