What's new

Donald Fires FBI Director who's investigating Russian Election Hacking

And the walls came tumbling down. I'm loving the sounds of silence from Trump apologists.

Meanwhile:

If you can read this New York Times opinion piece, it confirms the accuracy of Woodward's portrait.

I Am Part of the Resistance Inside the Trump Administration
I work for the president but like-minded colleagues and I have vowed to thwart parts of his agenda and his worst inclinations.

The Times today is taking the rare step of publishing an anonymous Op-Ed essay. We have done so at the request of the author, a senior official in the Trump administration whose identity is known to us and whose job would be jeopardized by its disclosure. We believe publishing this essay anonymously is the only way to deliver an important perspective to our readers. We invite you to submit a question about the essay or our vetting process here.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/05/opinion/trump-white-house-anonymous-resistance.html

And the walls came tumbling down. I'm loving the sounds of silence from Trump apologists.

Meanwhile:

If you can read this New York Times opinion piece, it confirms the accuracy of Woodward's portrait.

I Am Part of the Resistance Inside the Trump Administration
I work for the president but like-minded colleagues and I have vowed to thwart parts of his agenda and his worst inclinations.

The Times today is taking the rare step of publishing an anonymous Op-Ed essay. We have done so at the request of the author, a senior official in the Trump administration whose identity is known to us and whose job would be jeopardized by its disclosure. We believe publishing this essay anonymously is the only way to deliver an important perspective to our readers. We invite you to submit a question about the essay or our vetting process here.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/05/opinion/trump-white-house-anonymous-resistance.html

I'd like to share a response to this that's made it to reddit's best of section.

How dare you.

How ****ing dare you.

If the president is as insane as you claim he is, the only possible remedy is to come out with it, say it publicly, and let our democracy decide what to do. Anything less than that is a coup (if one with a slightly different flavor than the one being carried out by Russia). If the 25th amdendment needs to be invoked, it is by your silence that the American people have been denied the chance to demand it.

You're not part of "The Resistance".

What you're part of is the greater effort by the GOP to take advantage of Putin's money and Donald Trump's criminal rise to power, for your personal gain.

What you're doing (as I suspect you damn well know) is helping the GOP ram a cruel agenda through our system, and rob the American people of their wealth, their representation, and their basic dignity for generations to come, while trying to pin the blame for it on Trump.

You do not get to unilaterally decide that it's your responsibility to be Secret President on behalf of this monster.

You do not get to use your position to live out this weird spy thriller novel that you've written yourself into, and tell me that I should be grateful for it.

You do not get to risk our lives, our values, our electoral integrity, hell, our national sovereignty, just so you can try to rehabilitate your terminally corrupt party.

Resign. Confess.

And never work in politics again.

First 16 time gold post I remember having witnessed. It was only 15 on the train ride in, so it's possible there could be more.

I feel like it's a great post. But I don't think it underscores enough the idea that this "resistance" is likely just a shunt that allows disenfranchised republicans to keep their 'ideals' while jumping on that life raft. True "resistance" or not, they're still complicit. And I'd like to see them taking ownership.

Reactions: Red
I'd like to share a response to this that's made it to reddit's best of section.

First 16 time gold post I remember having witnessed. It was only 15 on the train ride in, so it's possible there could be more.

I feel like it's a great post. But I don't think it underscores enough the idea that this "resistance" is likely just a shunt that allows disenfranchised republicans to keep their 'ideals' while jumping on that life raft. True "resistance" or not, they're still complicit. And I'd like to see them taking ownership.

I agree with you, and the sentiment expressed on Reddit. But, I am nonetheless feeling relief this morning, because I believe I can feel the end game here. Yeah, moments have come and gone, time and again, and Trump just keeps on ticking.

But, especially with Woodward's book I feel we will not be able to so easily let the truth slide into the archives of yesterday's news. I thought I detected turning points before, and they were not turning points. But all that has transpired in the last 48 hours, and Woodward's book #1 before it's even on the shelves, and even though as much attention has been focused on the "cowardness" of anonymity, as much or more so than what its content says about the dangerous man in the Oval Office, what's important to me is that the truth of the matter, that some of us have known or suspected was the case since the day Trump descended the escalator in Trump Tower, that truth will not be effectively denied or buried under Trump's avalanche of alternative facts. I'm feeling a kind of "at last, at long last" feeling of relief.

I agree with you, and the sentiment expressed on Reddit. But, I am nonetheless feeling relief this morning, because I believe I can feel the end game here. Yeah, moments have come and gone, time and again, and Trump just keeps on ticking.

But, especially with Woodward's book I feel we will not be able to so easily let the truth slide into the archives of yesterday's news. I thought I detected turning points before, and they were not turning points. But all that has transpired in the last 48 hours, and Woodward's book #1 before it's even on the shelves, and even though as much attention has been focused on the "cowardness" of anonymity, as much or more so than what its content says about the dangerous man in the Oval Office, what's important to me is that the truth of the matter, that some of us have known or suspected was the case since the day Trump descended the escalator in Trump Tower, that truth will not be effectively denied or buried under Trump's avalanche of alternative facts. I'm feeling a kind of "at last, at long last" feeling of relief.

I envy you. I wish I had that feeling. For me it's bigger than trump. Dumping donnie is, certainly, a stop the bleeding move. And necessary... but he couldn't have done half the damage if his party members didn't cooperate and agree. Putting this all on his shoulders merely makes him a scapegoat in the GOP's eyes... they'll learn nothing and overlook the fact that they made mistakes, too, and keep plugging along. They'll keep their public's trust merely because they're conservative.

Maybe I'm just impossible to please, but I want more. I want ownership from end to end.

I envy you. I wish I had that feeling. For me it's bigger than trump. Dumping donnie is, certainly, a stop the bleeding move. And necessary... but he couldn't have done half the damage if his party members didn't cooperate and agree. Putting this all on his shoulders merely makes him a scapegoat in the GOP's eyes... they'll learn nothing and overlook the fact that they made mistakes, too, and keep plugging along. They'll keep their public's trust merely because they're conservative.

Maybe I'm just impossible to please, but I want more. I want ownership from end to end.

Well, we have a long struggle ahead, as reactionary forces are in the ascendency while cultural and demographic trends are going in the other direction. A solid conservative majority on the Supreme Court is not a good development, but in the long run, reactionary forces will fail. Yes, that's easy for me to say, but I believe that. I will not live to see it, however. This struggle will extend well past my lifetime. So I need to focus on the short term goal of removing Trump. At this point all I hope for is to live long enough to witness that.

The GOP sold whatever souls they had, as far as I am concerned. If there is any justice they will reap their just reward for having cowered in the face of a man that has assaulted our institutions and driven divisiveness to heights not seen since the Civil War. They will reap their just reward for what they are doing.

But it is likely a generations long struggle. I don't think for one minute that the forces in our society that Trump helped to ascend will just go quietly into the night once he is no longer president. So I tell the youngsters in my family to carry on the struggle. The Good will out. This I believe.

I think the true turning point comes in November. That's when the Republicans will be able to throw their hands in the air and say "The Democrats ousted Trump from office and there was nothing we could do about it." That way they don't completely lose the support of Trump's most rabid supporters.

I didn’t want to create a new thread. But this is hilarious! Burn your house down in order to #ownthelibs #somuchwinning

Bartlesville, OK – A Bartlesville man has been arrested after he accidentally burned down his home by attempting to burn a pair of Nike sneakers in protest of the latest Colin Kaepernick Ad.
According to authorities, Jason Helms, 26, placed a pair of Nike sneakers in his garage and soaked them in Kerosene before lighting them on fire and filming it with his iPhone. The fire ended up spreading to the garage walls and ceiling before spreading to his actual home. Helms called 911 but by the time firefighters arrived they were unable to save his home.

http://www.usatoday-go.com/2018/09/...fire-in-protest-of-nikes-colin-kaepernick-ad/

Dudes an idiot but woo hooo! He lost his home! Alright! That’s awesome, am I right guys??!!!

Woohooo!!!

#NoHomesForTrumpSupporters

I didn’t want to create a new thread. But this is hilarious! Burn your house down in order to #ownthelibs #somuchwinning

http://www.usatoday-go.com/2018/09/...fire-in-protest-of-nikes-colin-kaepernick-ad/

I clicked on the link and got an "account suspended" message. How could that happen when it's a usatoday link I wondered. So I did a google news search and discovered the story is actually a hoax:

https://hoax-alert.leadstories.com/...hting-nike-shoes-on-fire-in-protest-of-n.html

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/house-fire-nike-shoes-burn/

Last edited:
Wasn’t sure where to put this, but this is a main political thread so it fits.

Some of you have probably seen the Kamala Harris video where it appears Kavanaugh is talking about birth control. The video Harris posted has Kavanaugh saying this: “Filling our the form would make them complicit in the provision of abortion-inducing drugs”

Now what Kavanaugh actually said was this: “They said filling out the form would make them complicit in the provision of abortion-inducing drugs.” Makes a world of difference.

Sad that Harris would purposefully exclude those two words.

we have a long struggle ahead, as reactionary forces are in the ascendency while cultural and demographic trends are going in the other direction. A solid conservative majority on the Supreme Court is not a good development

This CNN article published today echos my concerns regarding reactionary forces colliding with changing demographics and cultural trends in the decades ahead:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/11/politics/brett-kavanaugh-changing-america-supreme-court/index.html

"(CNN)Last week's combative Senate Judiciary Committee hearings over Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh looked at times like a flash-forward to the racially infused politics that may increasingly consume the court, and the nation, through the 2020s.

If the Senate confirms Kavanaugh, which still appears likely despite sharpening Democratic questions about his honesty, he will cement a five-member majority of Republican-appointed justices. Given their ages, those five justices could control the Supreme Court for the next 15 years or more. Over that period, demographers project, the nation inexorably will grow more diverse in virtually every measurable way, from religious preference to sexual orientation and racial and ethnic composition.

That looks like a surefire formula for heightening conflict. Each of the Republican-appointed justices has demonstrated resistance to measures designed to protect or promote the interests of groups that often have been marginalized in American history, from racial minorities to gays and lesbians. And like a tightening tourniquet, the tension is likely to grow between the opposition of the Republican-appointed justices to laws that they feel unduly disadvantage whites and religiously devout Christians, and the calls from those growing minority groups for greater opportunity and inclusion."