What's new

Donald Fires FBI Director who's investigating Russian Election Hacking

I think the whole "does he have the right to fire him" question is a good one.

Who does the president have the right to fire? Who doesn't he have the right to fire?
Is he like a dictator or king who can get rid of anyone he wants whenever he wants or only certain people in certain positions or no one at all?
I have no idea.

Exactly.

Who does the president have the right to fire? Who doesn't he have the right to fire?
Is he like a dictator or king who can get rid of anyone he wants whenever he wants or only certain people in certain positions or no one at all?
I have no idea.

If the President can appoint you, in most cases, he can fire you. But it wasn't just Trump. It was also the GA and the assistant GA and a bunch of other people involved. So no, he can't just hire or fire anybody he wants just because he wants to. There is a process to this whole thing.

I have a feeling Trump's next executive decision would to be ban the words "Russia" and "Investigation" from the dictionary.

I agree with this. The smart thing though would have been to fire him after the investigation is over. That is assuming Trump is innocent or thinks he is innocent of the investigation. Since if he is guilty he might not be in a position to fire him or if he is it would look very petty.

Pretty much. Maybe you should run for president. May need a toupee tho.

So... Comey starts investigating people around Trump regarding Russia.

Trump fires Comey.

Trump chooses a new head of FBI.

How is this not being judge & jury?!?!

So... Rosenstein works under Jeff Sessions, who was chosen by Trump....

Then Trump fires Comey based on the report prepared by Rosenstein who's been in the jobs for 2 weeks???

Um.. anyone else see something wrong with this picture?!?!

maxine waters wanted jeff sessions to be gone!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQxyssIF59g

at least she agrees with trump!

Last edited:
Democrats Wanted Comey Fired — Until Tuesday

and Trump PRAISED Comey on the campaign trail.

Your point is moot as always.

Just because Dems wanted him gone, doesn't excuse the fact that this is suspicious as hell.

but when you are a supporter of Donald Trump you have to constantly look for ways to deflect, and frame his ridiculous actions.

He's the worst ever, and folks it's not going to get better from here.

So... Comey starts investigating people around Trump regarding Russia.

Trump fires Comey.

Trump chooses a new head of FBI.

How is this not being judge & jury?!?!

He doesn't have many options left. He's cornered himself in a box, and drowning from his own actions.

Look for a strike on North Korea, Syria, or Iran soon to deflect. It's coming, and it'll buy him more time.

I've been nonstop reading since the firing went down. This short piece tells it exactly as it is, IMHO. Sometimes the hardest thing in the world is to see with utmost clarity what is happening while it is happening. No one should really ask "well, how did they not resist at the time?" It's because, for far too many, the recognition just is not there. And bad things can happen, real bad things, when people sleepwalk through their own time and place.

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/stasi-americans-wake-trump-fires-comey-article-1.3153030

Americans know it when we see it. Unless it's happening to us.

We know it when we see the leader of a third world country go from populist leader to strongman dictator. We can see how the uneducated and oppressed put their fate into the hands of a leader who plays fast and loose with their constitution and their laws.

We see it — unless it's happening to us.

We've watched people on the news in other countries being rounded up, the opposition being fired, jailed or "disappeared." We've watched, shocked, as citizens allow their laws to be violated, upended and changed to satisfy their leader's whim, personal needs, vendettas or ego.

We see it —unless it's happening to us.

We have seen those leaders make unholy alliances with other brutal leaders and we've seen the people passively stand by as it happens to them like the cowards they are.

We see it — unless it's happening to us.

The President just fired the FBI director who was investigating him. This is like being allowed to fire the cop who arrests you before he gets the handcuffs on.

We are now becoming those cowards we have scoffed at. We are the frighteningly naive, apathetic souls, so blindly devoted to the cult of personality of one man, that we are not just witnessing, but allowing Donald Trump to become our anointed dictator.

And we've allowed it since Inauguration Day.

We laughed when he flat-out lied to us about President Obama wiretapping him. Dishonesty isn't funny, it's disgraceful.

Many Americans — Americans! — cheered when he signed an executive order that begins to wipe out separation of church and state in the name of "religious freedom." If our President cared one whit about religious freedom he wouldn't have attempted to ban Muslims from entering this country.

Attempting to change one of our most important safeguards isn't worth cheering about. It's worth fighting against.

When President Trump called the press the enemy, the right wing approved. Defaming the First Amendment doesn't warrant approval, it demands outrage.

And now the President of the United States has committed the most blatant act of all. Trump has fired Comey, who was leading the investigation into whether his campaign advisers colluded with the Russian government during the 2016 presidential election.

Possible? No — probable. Even the Syrian airstrikes seemed more a diversion than a humanitarian act. He got the press to write about his power play against the Russians for days instead of concentrating on possible Russian interference in his presidential win. Meantime, if he had meant it, the White House would not have told the Russians about the coming strike.

Too bad the White House didn't tell us before landing a strike against Comey. The President's alt-speak version of events is that Comey got the boot for mishandling the investigation into Hillary Clinton's use of a personal email server. Seriously? Will he get away with this? Probably.

Sure President Bill Clinton also fired an FBI director, William Sessions (that name again). But Sessions was ultimately fired because the Justice Department found he was a tax skimmer and federal scammer.

Comey — whether you like him or not — was fired by the President he was investigating. And it's not amusing. It's alarming.

This is not a reality show, it's our new reality and it's happening to us.

I have no idea.

I like this. :)

"If he has the power to fire the head of the FBI" is pretty cut and dry.

"Should he have the power to fire someone investigating his ties and probable collusion with a foreign entity" is the concern.

Does that make more sense? Because that's where I'm coming from.

Putting it into a smaller scale; "Rahm Emanuel(mayor of Chicago) fired Lieutenant Rumsfeld. Rumsfeld was in the middle of investigating Rahm for money laundering with one of the major organized crime syndicates in Chicago."

Does that put it into a different perspective?

So... Rosenstein works under Jeff Sessions, who was chosen by Trump....

Then Trump fires Comey based on the report prepared by Rosenstein who's been in the jobs for 2 weeks???

Um.. anyone else see something wrong with this picture?!?!

I'll repeat, what does his time on rejoin have to do with anything?

Also, he wasn't hired. He was appointed, and confirmed by the Senate with a 94-6 vote, which means that both parties overwhelmingly supported him. Don't make this a partisan issue when it isn't. Question Trump, not Rosenstein. Like I said earlier, the firing is just, the timing suspect. Does that make sense to you?

/I know you read these. You can't resist me

Hey wait a second...I thought Modscpuldnt have posters on ignore?! Have you been lying OL? For shame.

Also, wouldn't a mod havingaposter on ignore be evidence of bias against a poster in case of future events? Pretty tacky look imo.

/the pain is still real

If the President can appoint you, in most cases, he can fire you. But it wasn't just Trump. It was also the GA and the assistant GA and a bunch of other people involved. So no, he can't just hire or fire anybody he wants just because he wants to. There is a process to this whole thing.
Thanks for the answer. I had no idea how it works.

Former FBI Director James Comey angered President Trump by refusing to let him preview his recent Senate testimony, according to a new report.

Trump and his aides considered Comey’s move an act of insubordination, Reuters reported Wednesday.

White House officials told Reuters that Trump, Attorney General Jeff Sessions and Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein requested a preview from Comey.

https://thehill.com/policy/national-security/fbi/332856-comey-wouldnt-preview-senate-testimony-to-trump-report

Didn't we have someone in the legal community on the board?

How normal is this?
How appropriate is this?

A red flag certainly pops up(at least in my mind) if I'm providing testimony about what I've seen my boss doing, and he asks to preview what I'm going to tell people.