What's new

Donovan Mitchell is the next Rose, Wall, Westbrook... -Cowherd

I generally like Cowherd, he gets a bit too carried away with things and his hatred for Westbrook is a bit much. I'm not even going to listen to this because I know what he is going to roughly say....
Also for the record, earlier in the week(maybe last week) he posted how great this rookie class is, and listed DM as a "pleasant surprise"
Where as Tatum and Simmons were "Stars"
Let that sink in and take it with a grain of salt

DM tweets back "heard you"

Gotta love this kid. He is going to be a huge star because he recognizes his faults and works on them. The jump from freshman year to rookie year is off the charts. The improvement from game one to the POs is fantastic. I have no reason to believe he has stopped improving. BS attitude is "I have a weakness, better not shoot 3s. I'll just play to my strengths. " DM attitude is "what do I need to work on to help my team win? That's what I will try to become. " DM has a great stroke, and will become more consistent off the bounce. I have no doubt.

CC is just wrong on this. BS is a better shooter? Whaaaat? Tatum made bigger strides this year? Please. Those guys are good players, but neither of them have the brains and will to improve that DM has. And both have serious flaws. BS more than Tater tot. But you let DM sit in the corner and take wide open catch and shoot 3s and watch what happens to his shooting%. DM was the focus of opposing defenses most of the year and definitely in the playoffs. And just look what he did... Took over several games, and showed flashes of domination far beyond BS or Tatum O'Neal

CC is going to be embarrassed by this take in the near future. Smh

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using JazzFanz mobile app

Last edited:
What if donovan isn't exactly like Rose, Wall, and Westbrook but has TRAITS from those players?
The humility of Rose, explosiveness of Rose/Westbrook, the vision of Wall, and so on. Sounds pretty great to me.

Simmons literally didn’t hit one single three all year.

I thought you were joking until I just looked it up. That's absolutely mind blowing that a PG didn't hit a 3 the entire season. He didn't even get that accidental banker when the shot clock was running out 3 that even centers can sometime get.

Wow. Just wow. The saying is that you learn something new every day. Well, that was just mine. Wow.

He is wrong, Mitchell's catch and shoot is legit. Westbrook, Rose, Wall, aren't even reliable in those situations.

Donovan Mitchell who "can't shoot" and "has to drive to the rim to be successful" attempted 7.0 of his 17.2 shot attempts per game from 3. And broke the record for 3 pointers made by a rookie.

John Wall in his rookie year shot 29.6% from 3 on 1.7 attempts per game
Derrick Rose in his rookie year shot 22.2% from 3 on 0.9 attempts per game
Russell Westbrook in his rookie year shot 27.1% from 3 on 1.6 attempts per game
DM was 34.0% from 3 on 7.0 attempts per game, 7.0!!

Mitchell is not just a better shooter than those three, he's a MUCH better shooter.

This.
Sets the rookie record for threes = can’t shoot lol

I thought you were joking until I just looked it up. That's absolutely mind blowing that a PG didn't hit a 3 the entire season. He didn't even get that accidental banker when the shot clock was running out 3 that even centers can sometime get.

Wow. Just wow. The saying is that you learn something new every day. Well, that was just mine. Wow.

He's a center that's quick and good at passing. He only took 39 shots beyond 16 feet this year and shot 56% from the line

He is wrong, Mitchell's catch and shoot is legit. Westbrook, Rose, Wall, aren't even reliable in those situations.
Wall has been a pretty good catch and shoot from 3 for the last two or three years. I think he shot something like 43% in the 16/17 season. His problem is that he is just really lazy with off ball movement. He just passes and stands in a spot.

Was going to essentially post this. What’s Donovan’s percentage if he’s more selective with threes, shooting, I don’t know, maybe only 4 per game?

My guess is probably 37 or 38%. He took a lot of tough threes and still hit 34%. If he was taking mainly just the open ones his percentage would be up by a good amount.

My guess is probably 37 or 38%. He took a lot of tough threes and still hit 34%. If he was taking mainly just the open ones his percentage would be up by a good amount.
His shot selection should improve as the game continues to slow down for him. Playoff Donovan was a revelation. The kid can score at will - even against tight schemes with the best defenders in the league.

When I first heard Cowherd I thought he was entertaining and I guess smart, but that quickly faded after hearing him many times. Ive listened to a lot of sports radio and they all can get annoying. But the more I heard Cowherd the more I became convinced he is the dumbest one out there. He is just a guy who talks confidently so people listen. Its fake it til you make it guy. He actually doesnt know crap about basketball. His takes are awful. He gets it wrong a lot and then quickly changes his mind when he realizes he wrong, but acts like he had it right along. Wash rinse repeat. If you dont listen enough you might not notice. Just check out the comments on all his Youtube videos. 90% of the comments are calling him an idiot and calling out his contradictions. Real basketball fans see through his nonsense. Colin Cowherd is only an entertainer. He doesnt have a good basketball mind. He's for the casual listener.

Listen I hated his take too, and he’s going to end up being way wrong so who cares but this is exactly what you want. You want Donovan’s name in peoples mouths. Jazz fans showed out on his take. That tweet/video got more attention than any other video so he will likely talk about this take more going forward at some point. It’s a slow time for mews at the moment, if Cowherd wants to talk about Donovan, he can talk about Donovan. Whether they’re talking good or bad about you...or in this case comparing you to Westbrook, Wall, Rose, it helps your brand. It puts you in peoples minds. This is what comes with greatness, and the greater Donovan gets, the more scrutinized or hate he will receive from time to time. It’s part of being a super star. I’m here for it. We all know who Donovan is, his work ethic, and where he’s headed. He’ll show guys like this and they’ll have to talk positively at some point. Keep talking about him Colin, you’re doing a great job.

I agree that it’s just nice to be talked about. And I don’t hate Cowherd, he talks well. Especially when you agree with him. But then he talks about something that you just know way more than him about and it doesn’t sound nearly as good, like this.

First off, Wall, Westbrook, and healthy Rose are pretty damn good. Rose never really played like those other two either, his team thrived with him in the lead role and they only lost to the Heat big 3, and then he was done.

Westbrook and Wall are bad shooters with not a ton of touch around the rim. Mitchell has a great stroke and the makings of a good shooter, and insanely good touch around the rim.

Those other dudes are better passers, and ball handlers, especially Wall, and probably a little bit quicker.

I agree with Cy that having Mitchell develop next to Rubio and being coached by Quin will help his off ball movement which those guys are awful at.

It’s just not a good comparison other than being similar sized guards with tons of talent they simply don’t play the same.

I do really think this things help Donovan's development and Utah's future. Nice to hear bad staff in order to work even harder to improve his game (chip, shoulders, etc.)

Lets not forget that this is the guy who was ******** on Wall because... he had no father around him growing up. Yes, this is the level of analysis you can expect from Cowherd... also... "cannot shoot" :D But loves Simmons.

You know how much he's watched him when he describes his game - cannot shoot so he bangs at the rim. Mitchell just beat the record for most 3s by a rookie. That record belonged to Lillard and Steph Curry before that. 40% of his shots came from 3(the highest marks in their careers of Rose is 33%, Wall 24%, Westbrook 30%). Also his game at the rim is much different that that of Westbrook, Wall and Rose. If anything I want him to be more physical at the rim. He's much more a finesse player at the rim right now... wrong footing opponents, using length and extension to finish around defenders rather than through them. This is reflected in his much lower FT rate(18% vs numbers in the 30s for those 3). Mitchell also has great off ball game and is dead eye shooter on the catch. If anything he needs to work on his on ball shooting.